Survivalist Forum banner

Are sword ferns edible?

24K views 11 replies 9 participants last post by  VTmike 
#1 ·
I was walking around in the woods the other day and I got to wondering whether or not one can live off of sword ferns? They're probably the most abundant plant life in the woods around here (pacific northwest) and it would be great to know if they're safe to swallow. Anyone read/tried/heard about eating sword ferns?

#3 ·
i believe only the new fronds or sprouts are edible. the ones that pop up and have all that slimely gunk on them, wipe the slime off and then boil them, then empty the water to get rid of some toxins and the bitter taste and boil them again.

i suggest buying the book The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants it will help you get started and keep you alive by stopping you from eating bad poisoned plants
Amazon.com: The Forager's Harvest: A Guide to Identifying, Harvesting, and Preparing Edible Wild Plants (9780976626602): Samuel Thayer: Books

#7 ·
I did some research on this and found that native americans used the rhizomes as survival food, but have found nothing positive on the edibility on the fiddle heads. I read about the rhizomes in "Plants of The Pacific Northwest Coast," By Pojar and Mackinnon. Which by the way I've found to be an excellent field guide for our area.

#8 ·

Sigh.... this is how people die.... You did some research... what does that mean? Surfing the internet? Which sword fern rhizome did the natives eat? What genus? What species? There are 19 species of sword ferns (Nephrolepis) in the world, according to a world expert I contacted in person. I haven't read of any having edible rhizomes. Two species do have edible swollen stolons. They do no have edible rhizomes.

However, I suspect you mean the Holly Fern, sometimes called the Western Sword Fern, which is a totally different genus and species, Polystichum, specifically Polysticum munitum. Natives roasted the rhizome. But be careful. Polystichum filix-mas is toxic, and Polystichum aleuticum is endangered.

Saying sword ferns have edible rhizomes can get one killed. One needs to be more specific.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.