Survivalist Forum banner

Reloading bench plans

12K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  0002S 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I'm looking to build a corner reloading bench. I'm going to use one side for reloading and the other side for a gun cleaning station. I believe that I will carpet the side for gun cleaning. I also want some shelves for storage.

I've been mulling over dimensions and layout, but wanted to hear what other folks like about their benches or things they would change if they were building a new one.

TIA

#2 ·
I built two benches, one has work surface dimensions of 2' x 6' with a equal size peg board on the back. The other is the same design, but 2' x 4' with same size peg board. I built them out of treated lumber. 4x4s for legs. 1x6 across front/rear/sides and two across each side nearer to the floor on the 2x4 size bench so I could have a shelf, which is where I store my ammo cans. I use the 2x4 size bench for the majority of my loading. I have my case trimmmer and a powder measure mounted to the other bench for loading my .308. Each bench has a vise, a 4" on the small bench, 6" on the other.

Tomorrow I'll take some pics and post.

#3 ·
I 'repurposed' some old kitchen type cabinets and counter top that were still in excellent condition. I had to beef it up some but it works great. It's six feet long and standard depth. On the far right is a Dillon progressive, middle is a Hornady heavy single stage and on the left is a Mec 600 shotshell loader. A 6" deep shelf just above it holds all the little stuff....powder measure, case trimmer, lube pad, hand primer ect. A 12' deep shelf above that holds powder and loading manuals ect.

Next to that is an old steel government surplus desk that is the gun bench. Pegboard on the wall for all the screwdivers and such, gunsmithing vise mounted to one side. The drawers hold all the various gun parts, (I have lots) cleaning rods ect.

A 2'x4'x5' high "home depot" shelving unit in the corner holds all the bins of brass, case tumbler, smelting pot, bags of shotgun wads ect.

When we really get rolling on loading we break out a portable plastic table for extra space.

Well, thats what we have going here so maybe you can get some idea's from it.

#4 ·
I have had Monster Benches with Huge backboards and cubbies on same, and Drqwers and suchlike. They just collected stuff, and were always hard to move, Use and keep clean.

Present set-up is based on a Stanley Portable Workbench - the one that folds up. I can take it out to a field with supplies, and reload custom loads right at the range. I have Three Tops for the Bench - One for Pistol, One For Rifel, and One for Bullet casting. The alternate Tops hang on the Garage wall.

Two Tops each have a Press on it - the Rifle one is a "Bonanza" (Now called/marketed as a Forster) That particular press has several special features that I like , but that is for another thread. It also has a Zip Trim Device. The Pistol Top Features a Dillon reloading Press. Each Top has a Three Side Rim that keeps stuff from rolling off, with a Raise/Lower Front Side Rim. Easch Top has room for my RCBS Prep Machine that cleans Primer pockets, Chamfers Primer Pockets, Insode and outside case rims, and brushes the inside of the Case Mouths. There are provisions for Lubricating the Inside of Case Mouths, too. When The Reloading stuff is not used, all the tops are on the wall, and the bench is either folded up and put away, or in use fpr other projects.

#5 ·
Here are a couple of pictures of one of my bench's, the other is a little table that Midway sale's. The Midway get's used for something almost every time I'm reloading. The large bench is to heavy to move so if I, ever was to move it, it would be with a chainsaw.:D: THR, has a reloading bench thread that is over 100 pages long with many good ideals, and pictuer's.

Attachments

#6 ·
No pics of mine but, I built both of mine out of scrap lumber I salvaged from various locations. One is 3' x 6' with a 2' x 6' shelf under the top. It's built from 2x4 boards, a thick MDF core plastic veneered appliance display topper and a 3/4" plywood shelf.
The other is built from a 2x4 frame with another 3/4" shelf under a 4' x 5' top made from leftover veneered plywood shelving. Both are very sturdy and strong as a tank.

#7 ·
My suggestion would be to use 2 sheets of 3/4 inch hardwood ply for your benchtop.

A lot of problems that people have with their reloading equipment is due to wobbling from a weak benchtop. Primers sliding off center because of this in turret presses is a common issue for instance.

As for plans, I don't have any but My legs are 4x4, and i have a complete frame of 2x4 screwed to the bottom of the tabletop. The combination of a full 2x4 frame and 1.5 inches of hardwood ply gives me zero flex from a 5 station progressive.

#11 ·
I've looked at building a corner, self contained, reloading cabinet (like this: http://accurateshooter.net/Blog/benchset2.jpg) and I've always gone to a bench because the corner units will limit my bench space.

I've built 3 reloading benches for 3 different size/types of rooms.

Here is what I've learned.

1. Plan out your work space and set up your work flow to your liking. Then measure and build accordingly.
2. Separate reloading from gunsmith/cleaning if you can
3. You'll never build big enough so what ever you think you need go bigger
4. Plan your shelf/storage around your workflow
5. Have a small vacuum system handy for clean up.

I find that longer counter type benches are the best and you aren't forced to work around fixed equipment.

Here are the three benches based on room size at the time. Work moves me and I've had to adapt my "man caves" for each location and size of space.

Small space basement room

Large dedicated basement room

My present set up - Hi Rise Condo dedicated "man cave" (really small library conversion to gun room). This was built using 3 Franklin reloading stands from Midway. Two for the bench and one, with removable tops, additional shotgun press / pistol reloading station and cleaning/gunsmith station (shown).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.