Survivalist Forum banner

The Survival Doctor Site

160K views 189 replies 75 participants last post by  Smitso 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I'm an M.D. trying to educate non-medical people on survival medical techniques. Please visit my site at www.TheSurvivalDoctor.com and let me know what you think. You can comment on the site or here.

The information I provide is for educational purposes and only to be used in emergency disaster settings when no medical personnel are available.

I'd love to read your input.
Thanks.

Edit by MOD; We at SurvivalistBoards.com are glad to have TheSurvivalDoctor posting here and providing us all valuable information and help on his website, however, we must post the following information and expect all our members to read and understand it.

SurvivalistBoards.com is not affiliated with TheSurvivalDoctor.com and can not be held responsible for the content of that website or anything that is posted in this or any other thread made by TheSurvivalDoctor (aka the doctor) on this forum. Our members are strongly encouraged to seek out professional help in any emergency situation. We also strongly suggest that any members reading this thread or information posted on TheSurvivalDoctor.com seek a second opinion from their own doctor before trying anything you learn or read about. It should be understood that if you use any information found here or the linked website you are doing so at your own risk. Survivalistboards.com can not be held responsible for anything that happens to you or anyone else should you attempt anything posted on this forum or the doctors website. It is YOUR responsibility to verify the accuracy of any medical information you wish to learn or use.

#96 ·
Neko-Chan,

You're so right. Heartburn can be a symptom for a heart attack or heart pain (angina), stomach cancer, esophageal cancer, ulcers. Fortunately it's usually from a backflow of acid from the stomach to the unprotected esophagus. If you've seen a doctor to rule out the really serious stuff, and changing your diet doesn't help, try Maalox, Mylanta, Tums, over-the-counter Zantac or Pepcid. As I've already written, baking soda is fine every once in a while. Too often, and it can upset your body's acid/base balance.

If you can't get rid of the heartburn with a change in diet and it is an almost daily occurrence, talk to your doctor about using Pecid, Zantac, Prilosec, or something similar on a daily basis to try to prevent it. Bombarding your esophagus with daily acid can increase your risk for esophageal cancer.

#107 ·
First, I would like to say Welcome and Thank You Doc! I do so appreciate you taking the time to try and help us 'civilians'!!! hahahaha

I have had some personal experience with topical Lidocaine, both jel and ointment (not for sutures yet thank goodness) I prefer the ointment because it is 5%, the jel is only 2%. This works great and wouldn't be without it.

I also have injectable Lidocaine (Xylocaine) but wouldn't even consider using it unless I had no other choice, if you do get some, please be sure you learn how to administer it, cause yes, it can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Dr. Bones has a very good video on suturing using the injectable (I would definately use the topical first!)

OuiDlQUtlmJJfsyg&index=8&feature=plcp

Dr. Bones and Nurse Amy also have alot of helpful information on their site:
http://www.doomandbloom.net/

Lidocaine is available online without a prescription, take your pick:

http://www.bing.com/search?q=Lidocaine+without+a+prescription&src=ie9tr

Can't say I've seen Xanax online cause I never looked for it but simular drugs may be available without a prescription, ask your Doctor what might be an acceptable alternative that she could possibly take.

#101 ·
Just a quick word on asking the Doc questions..... If it's something your own doctor won't help you with, don't ask this Doctor too.

The Doctor is kind enough to be here and is willing to help answer some of our survival related health questions, he's is not here to answer stuff that may get him in trouble or cost him his license.

Reactions: Beaniemaster2
#102 ·
Thanks, jfountain2. My information is just that, for information only. Everyone's different. Ask your doctor before taking anyone else's advice. They know your history, and there's a reason (no, not just money) they like to see you. Many a time someone's described something over the phone and my first impression doesn't match my final diagnosis and suggestions after seeing them.

And then there's side effects, complications, don't get me started.

#104 ·
Dr.
Would you be able to recommend a physician in the MD/DC area that shares our views on preparedness? If not, might you have a suggestion on how to begin a search for one? The last couple trips to my children's pediatrician have been more like probing interviews on our lifestyle rather than medical examinations.
A.C. Burke

#108 ·
Hey Doc, great video you emailed out this morning...... could have used it three weeks ago when I ended up going to my optometrist to get my eye fixed. I had gotten a piece of something in my eye and couldn't get it out. It ended up blocking a tear duct and causing an infection. The eye doc gave me some antibiotics and a steriod eye drop, about a week later I was back to normal. Your video almost makes me want to get something else in my eye to see if I can fix it myself..... ALMOST....

#112 ·
expired Albuterol?

Someone pointed me in your direction....

Okay, my 12-year old has asthma and uses Albuterol from time to time when she has issues... today I had an older gentleman give me a box of 120 vials of albuterol sulfate (the type you put in a nebulizer).

Just one problem (well, two if you consider what he did being illegal)... but the vials are 5 years past the expiration date. Should I just dump this stuff or store it in the fridge in a major emergency situation? I'm just think, God forbid... the world goes to hell and we have nothing for her, I could break this out to just see if it can help.

Thoughts?

BTW: They are still sealed in the original thick packaging, 160 total. I opened one package (of 5) and it was as clear as water just like what she uses now.

Thanks!

#115 ·
Someone pointed me in your direction....

Okay, my 12-year old has asthma and uses Albuterol from time to time when she has issues... today I had an older gentleman give me a box of 120 vials of albuterol sulfate (the type you put in a nebulizer).

Just one problem (well, two if you consider what he did being illegal)... but the vials are 5 years past the expiration date. Should I just dump this stuff or store it in the fridge in a major emergency situation? I'm just think, God forbid... the world goes to hell and we have nothing for her, I could break this out to just see if it can help.

Thoughts?
BTW: They are still sealed in the original thick packaging, 160 total. I opened one package (of 5) and it was as clear as water just like what she uses now.

Thanks!
It would be as a last case, desperation situation. Liquid doesn't store as well as solid meds and five years past expiration is a long time. If I were you, I'd not depend on it. Get some non-expired to store in a cool, dry place. When you get more, use what you've got stored and replaced it with the newer. Have you read my blog post on Asthma?

#113 ·
Hey DOC i'm starting my advance med kit and was wondering for a IV set if a
2.5% Dextrose & 0.45% Sodium Chloride Injection USP 500mg bag would be something good to use. There is many IV bags out there and i was wondering what would a good al around IV bag.

Yes i have been trained to give IV's and i have given a couple of IV's to people. Just was wondering on the whole bag solution deal.

Thank you

#116 ·
What I use is:
If I'm trying to replace fluids from dehydration, Normal (0.9%) Sodium Choride, Lactated Ringers, or (in non-diabetics) Dextrose 5% 0.9% Sodium Chloride.

If I'm concerned they have a weak heart I might use the 1/2 Normal 0.45%, or D5 1/2 Normal Sodium Chloride.

To administer medication and just keep the line open I use D5W (5% Dextrose in water) or, in a diabetic, 1/2 Normal Sodium Chloride.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.