Survivalist Forum banner

More problems with 2001 Blazer

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  Cinbad 
#1 ·
And please don't say get rid of it and buy another vehicle. I can't afford it. The truck runs great when I can start it. Since I bought it in 2005 I have hardly put many miles on it except to go shopping, laundry and doctors and occasionally back to Mass to visit. I have had all new brakes put in, oil cooling lines and on and on. The problem has always been starting it. I have put in two new heavy duty batteries, two fuel pumps. The last fuel pump was a year ago. Fuel filters, found a short etc. It starts on the first turn for a while then nothing. It wouldn't start this morning and I have been having trouble for about a month now. A neighbor said to hold the gas pedal down while turning the key. It worked til today. Neighbor looked at it and said he couldn't tell if it was getting fuel. If it's the fuel pump again I will pull my hair out. This problem has been ongoing since I bought it in 2005. The battery is charged and is the strongest I could find. I'm tired of mechanics replacing the same expensive parts and the problem persists. There has to be another reason. Any ideas? Figures this has to happen when Christmas is coming.

#3 ·
need more info on the vehicle like engine size, is it throttle body or MPFI, and is your question about the battery going dead or actually not starting because of a fuel problem, or a combination of both ? i am assuming this vehicle is gonna be a vortec v-6. Have you put a fuel pressure tester on the intake and checked the pressure ? You could have a defective fuel pressure regulator which could cause your fuel pump failure. Did you use a GM fuel pump when you replaced it ? cause if not, aftermarket pumps won't last, and most don't have sufficient pressure to even start a GM vehicle ( especially the auto zone pumps ). as the other person said if it cranks and doesn't start it could possible be a crank position sensor, or you could have spark issues, mabey a bad coil pack (s). A little more info would be helpful on exactly what it is doing.

#5 ·
ok

Sorry for your luck owning a gm product. I bet you see why they went broke. NOW to the problem. Have someone spray either into the intake to see it it will fire if it does this will eliminate the crankshaft sensor, and point to the fuel pump. Opening the gas cap to hear the pump run would be the 1st thing to do, if its running that takes care of the fuel pump not working. how old are the fuel filters? There should be one under the drivers seat inside the frame rail. Also what type of gas the kind with ethanol in it or straight gas? Without looking at it I would be hard pressed to solve it, BUT it does sound more like a fuel delivery problem than a crank sensor. I have a 1990 full size ford bronco and it has 2 fuel pumps 1in the tank and 1 past the fuel filter on the rail. I know its a government motors product, so the likely hood of that is slim to none that it would have 2 fuel pumps. I would look to and after market pump if I had to replace it again. Yep the aftermarket will cost more but will last longer. How much fuel is in the tank? Do you run it low on gas a lot? That kills the in tank pumps as they rely on the gas surrounding them to help cool them.

#6 ·
If it is the Vortec engine, we see problems with the CPI fuel injectors not firing right. I've had one stick on my 5.7 vortec causing a miss. The trick is to carefully pinch the fuel return line off causing the pressure to spike and blow out the sticky injector. If it runs sometimes, get some of the chevron injector cleaner and give that a try. The main thing is to verify if it's losing fuel or spark. It my very well be another fuel pump. lots of problems with those too. Good luck.

#8 ·
OMG Thank you all for the input. I know nothing about cars though. That's why I keep getting ripped off by mechanics. How many fuel pumps and batteries can I pay big bucks for before they figure it out? I'm the one who figured out from people on here that there was a short when the battery kept going dead. It was a stupid short where the mirror light on the visor was staying on. I never used it until the cover fell off. Then the ABS light was on so I couldn't get a sticker. The mechanic told me he put it on his machine and I needed a 1,000 part plus labor. My neighbor looked at the brakes. The rear brakes were almost to metal and a caliper was rotted out. It cost me about 100.00 to replace that and no more ABS lights. I called the mechanic and told him and asked why he didn't know this and he said well it didn't show up on his diagnostic machine. Everything has been running great for a while. Startin with first turn of the key. Now I have to hold the gas pedal down while turening the key. Sometimes it starts. Sometimes not. I just need to know what to ask the mechanic what to look for.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.