Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Wilderness Survival, Hiking and Camping Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 11-15-2012, 01:45 PM

Default Another necessary survival item

Advertise Here

I'm new to SB and want to talk about a survival item that may or may not have been discussed previously. If it has already been mentioned then I apologize in advance.
You can buy a 3-5 ft. diameter casting net at WM for under 30$. These are great for catching small fish and bait fish. They aren't that heavy or difficult to use or pack. I wouldn't be without one. RWS
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RWS For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 08:09 PM
This site sucks

Thanked 2,076 Times in 825 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
I'm new to SB and want to talk about a survival item that may or may not have been discussed previously. If it has already been mentioned then I apologize in advance.
You can buy a 3-5 ft. diameter casting net at WM for under 30$. These are great for catching small fish and bait fish. They aren't that heavy or difficult to use or pack. I wouldn't be without one. RWS
Got any pics of you actually using yours. I would to see how it works. We all know we can buy it but you showing how it works would be great, since you would not be with out one.
The Following User Says Thank You to fire65 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-15-2012, 08:12 PM
Never Ever Give Up!

Quote:
Funny you post this because I have one 4ft cast net in my gear in my BOV.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:09 PM

Actually, I'm not very good at following the instructions (a man thing you know) and have an unorthodox way to do it. It doesn't always open up real pretty, but I have caught a lot of fish with it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 PM

Are you good at getting it to pop open real nice? OK, I said was easy to use! I can getter dun with it, but some might find it difficult. Sorry, no video for anyone, you guys will have to trust me about it.
Old 11-15-2012, 09:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,368 Times in 661 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 
Total Awards: 1

i agree they are handy ,,,,the only problem is they need a fairly smooth bottom or deep enough water that they dont snag up,,,a few branches stuck in the bottom or jagged rocks rip them up pretty fast
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 AM
Never Ever Give Up!

Quote:
Are you good at getting it to pop open real nice? OK, I said was easy to use! I can getter dun with it, but some might find it difficult. Sorry, no video for anyone, you guys will have to trust me about it.
I keep the 4 footer in the truck, and have two 6 er's for quick use in the boat and a 10 for faster gathering. I ave been collecting bait and throwing for 20+ years now and the bigger they are you have to use different ways to throw them. I wish you lived closer as I have taught many how to properly throw and be successful. Always look for more weight per foot to let the net sink quicker so that you don't miss bait, and a 3/8" mesh help with catching smaller bait. The best starter net is an Old Salt for quality and weight per foot.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:08 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,959 Times in 1,213 Posts

you can also supplement them with the local fauna for camo netting.
Old 11-16-2012, 02:20 PM
Semper Gumby

Any kind of netting or mesh is really best used when cut into the shape of thong-style underwear. And worn. You know...for survival purposes.

Old 11-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Maximus

Thanked 13,895 Times in 6,179 Posts

Quote:
The problem that I run into is that most of the time it works better when out on the lake and not that great from close to shore.
Old 01-08-2013, 02:24 PM

You could also weigh down one side and run it across a small river or stream, tie off at the banks and have the whole stream netted off. catch all kinds of good stuff like that..... at least anything coming down stream
Old 01-09-2013, 06:22 PM

I can open an 8foot unit perfectly almost every time. Used to catch a lot of shrimp while in the Corps in South Carolina. I held part of the rope in my teeth. Did a little half-spin move with my right hand on the weights and just spin my wrist and arm. Sorry for the poor description that's the best I can describe my technique. I believe I have used even larger ones but can't remember for sure. I do remember ripping them when they would get snagged on debris.