Survivalist Forum banner

The ancient sling

5K views 25 replies 17 participants last post by  богдан 
#1 ·
#9 ·
They are quite deadly. In pre-classical and classical antiquity, many armies employed large numbers of slingers, even cultures with well-developed archery.

I made several in my youth. Difficult to master, but quite a potent weapon.
Indeed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHP-aoQUhlY&t=43s

Their use throughout history is fascinating. Their history has motivated me to order one and practice with it, hopefully Ill be able to takr out that damn cat that keeps **** on my porch. What did you use for the pouch and the string?

Last time they were fielded the Frenchmen who used 'em were tossing grenades.... Them Huguenots were some pretty salty fellers....
lol im going to have to disagree with that

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64NxTwg3Ujk

#8 ·
I also made and used them when I was younger. I was ok but my brother, who taught me, was very good. If you use roundish rocks you'll be much more accurate but I used to have fun launching flat sharp edge rocks just to hear the sounds they'd make, sometimes a low hum other times a high pitched whistle. I've seen people try to make pouch shaped slings to cup the rock but it's not needed and will more often cause hangs. Just a flat piece of leather cut semi football shaped makes a good sling.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#10 ·
I also made and used them when I was younger. I was ok but my brother, who taught me, was very good. If you use roundish rocks you'll be much more accurate but I used to have fun launching flat sharp edge rocks just to hear the sounds they'd make, sometimes a low hum other times a high pitched whistle. I've seen people try to make pouch shaped slings to cup the rock but it's not needed and will more often cause hangs. Just a flat piece of leather cut semi football shaped makes a good sling.

noted :thumb:

#12 ·
I just used a fairly thick piece of leather and a couple 6ft pieces of rawhide. We did not have paracord at the time but I'm sure that would work also. The pouch was about 2.5 to 3 by 6 rounded at the ends. Poke 2 holes in each end for the rawhide. Rawhide is doubled up so a 6 foot piece means 2 three foot laces per side. Tie a knot in the end of one pair leave the other pair unknotted. The knot goes between index and middle finger so when you make a fist it is inside( palm side) unknotted pair gets gripped with thumb up against index finger so to release you just lift thumb since the fist is still closed it holds the knot. You need to start smooth and slow don't jerk, make at least 2 revolutions around and release when arm is pointed at target. It's going to take some practice expect some wild shots so I'd practice well away from houses and people. BTW: in a pinch a leather boot tongue and laces would work for awhile.

Anyway, that's how we did it. Not the only way maybe not the best way but it worked. Adjust pouch size to ammo, we used golf balls and similar sized rocks but smaller ammo could use smaller pouch.

#23 ·
You're right it would be tough to do while fully prone, but you can easily use one while squatting or sitting.
If I was choosing what to bring and size is no issue it would be a bow, if I had to improvise a weapon or I want something that fits in a pocket I'd go with the sling.

#25 ·
Roman Army (mostly auxiliary troops) used them with lead egg-shaped projectiles.
Sometimes hardened clay or concrete.
Formidable. I'm sure they argued around campfires over weight versus velocity.
You know - high speed 9mm vs. slow and heavy .45.
"Silvanus, you don't know beans - this here lead egg will knock your sandals off if it hits you anywhere on your stupid body, fast or slow."
"Rufinus you big slob, I can carry 10 clay slugs to your one lead chunk, shoot straighter and more accurate too. A head shot with these babies and even a block-headed German
will be out like the lights. Game over!"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.