Survivalist Forum banner

Puppeee Linux (for Asus netbooks)

3K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  TinmanIA 
#1 ·
I have an ASUS eeepc netbook that was running Windows 7 starter and got a bunch of viruses. So I installed this version of puppy linux made specifically for eeepcs and I couldnt be happier. My netbook runs much faster and smoother than before. It comes loaded w/ tons of free apps and there are downloadable SFS files for other programs such as firefox, google earth, openoffice, etc...
I originally got the idea from Boston T Party's book "One Nation Under Surveillance" Im on Firefox now running Scroogle as my search engine. I also downloaded puppy arcade which has almost every video game emulator there is. As I said before, I could not be happier with this choice. Screw windows!!!!

#4 ·
Also theres a whole forum dedicated to puppy linux. just google/scroogle questions and they should come up. You can boot it using a flash drive or memory stick and it can load on just your RAM, so nothing ever gets intalled on your computer. It just saves your settings to the removable media. That gives you a chance to play around with it first. Or you could do a full install if you like it. Either way works awesome.

#6 ·
I have the puppy525 iso distro. At only 127mb it would be a snap to boot it from a flash drive via ultraiso.
Open iso with ultraiso, hit Bootable-Write Disk Image, keeping the setting at default (usbhdd+).
Most iso's are also live cd's but when you run them from a usb drive you have to have the ability to use persistence, and that's if the iso allows it. Otherwise, it will only ever act as a live cd and no changes will be saved to the flash. There are some, very few, that will allow persistence with a cdrw.
I have tried Toorox KDE before which does permit persistence. It's cool cause it allows you to specify screen size every time you boot to it allowing for multiple platform compatibility. The gui however defaults to german and you have to specify that as well at boot.

The one time I did boot to puppy with my flash it worked awesome, it mounted ALL my drives automatically, all ntfs, and that is a must requisite with booting a linux distro under windows. I updated the distro to a newer version and it would not see my drives anymore. I haven't tried the latest 525 version.
Two others I am wanting to try are chakra and pclinuxos, both for the windows based linux noob that doesn't want, or understand, command line everything.

#8 ·
carefull, flash memory has a max read/write limit. eventually your SD card will cease to function if you use it like a hard drive.

Anyway opp you might want to try xubuntu as well. it is ubuntu with xfce instead of gnome and kde. I like it for older machines and netbooks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.