Survivalist Forum banner

Best .45 caliber round I can buy in bulk.

4K views 19 replies 14 participants last post by  m47dragon 
#1 ·
I am looking to stockpile some good quality .45 caliber rounds. I currently have a few 100 round boxes of .45 ACP Winchester 230 grain ammo. it can be a little dirty but I can find it easily around me. Does anyone know of a better quality round that I can buy in bulk (100+rounds). Thanks in advance

#3 ·
I own a couple of short frame carry 1911s (Ultra size models)...they can be finicky...
what I found early on is the Wally world Winchester white box turns both my Kimber and Springfield ultra models into jam-o-matics. and yes they've both been to the gun shop, even to the manufacturers..so I can't blame myself on setup.
However, i can feed the same guns Blazer, Federal, Federal's Independance, Remmington, UMC, the list goes on...and the guns run great.

now you might not have a finicky eater...but just heads up to spend some time on the range with the winchester stuff.

for those couple hundred rounds of JHP, quality stuff, I went Gold Dot early on and happy to have it...but that's usually only found in 20rd boxes...however the local police store sells Lawman in 50 count boxes and nothing shabby about those loads...if you can find a cop shop, and you may need a cop friend to get best price discount...then try buying some of that.

#4 ·
I am looking to stockpile some good quality .45 caliber rounds. I currently have a few 100 round boxes of .45 ACP Winchester 230 grain ammo. it can be a little dirty but I can find it easily around me. Does anyone know of a better quality round that I can buy in bulk (100+rounds). Thanks in advance
I don't believe any ammo bought in bulk will be good it may be acceptable but to me good is Remington Express and Golden Saber, Winchester silvertips and PDX1, Buffalo Bore.

In.45acp I keep less practice ammo and more SD ammo in makes listed above.

#5 ·
Ammoman.com has Federal at $545 per 1000, and Remington JHP at ~$780 per 1000 (or $369 per 500) with shipping/delivered:

http://www.ammoman.com/45-acp-remington-230-grain-jhp-l45ap7-500

http://www.ammoman.com/45-acp-federal-230-grain-ae45a

I like Federal, particularly at > $200 difference per 1000, but YMMV. Just remember, some fairly well-informed people don't think you need Golden Saber, Federal Hydra-Shok, or Hornady XTP rounds to have "good" ammo:

CLINT SMITH ON THE 1911 --

“The 1911 remains popular because it’s an efficient tool. In more than 30 years of experience, I’ve met more competent, serious gunmen who carry 1911’s than those who pack any other handgun. They are professionals – policemen, government agents and others who carry handguns daily because they know their lives may depend on it… Me? I’ve carried a 1911 every single day for the past 20 years. It’s a very comforting gun to have at your hip. It offers a good, consistent single-action trigger pull and is wonderfully dependable. Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.

JMHO.

#8 ·
Ammoman.com has Federal at $545 per 1000, and Remington JHP at ~$780 per 1000 (or $369 per 500) with shipping/delivered:

http://www.ammoman.com/45-acp-federal-230-grain-ae45a
http://www.sgammo.com/product/speer...er-gold-dot-230-grain-hollow-point-ammo-53966

For $35 more per 1000 you can get the Gold dots from SG Ammo. They also have bulk ball for cheaper and have always been quick to ship. If your gun is picky order 50rds and if they function order a case. Same goes with ball if it is going to be defensive ammo.

As far as what Clint smith said there are even more experts who are just as qualified who will suggest using JHPs if they work in your gun. Also what year did he site that? 2001? A lot has changed since then. Just look a how the gun industry has advanced since then. The polymer guns are a lot more popular now among the serious users than they were 10 years ago(yet 13 years ago). Ammo has also advanced. Nothing against a 1911 but it is hard to argue the average user or serious user doesn't get more for their money with a polymer striker fired handgun. I'm sure Thunder Ranch offers great instruction and I would like to take a class there someday, but they attach their name to any product they can to make the royalties. They also push any gun pushed by the big gun mags and give it a positive ranking before really getting to use it.

#6 ·
I would rather have to much practice ammo than not enough fancy defense ammo
Soldiers kill folk every day with full metal jacket... My carry ammo is expanding hollow points not because I thank ball will not kill them but I want to keep the round in the intending target not someone else... I have around 2500 rounds of 230 ball and I shot on average 1000 rounds a month..

#10 ·
Because the 1911 is basically a defensive handgun, I’m not concerned about tight groups. I don’t bother with expanding hollowpoints that could cause feeding problems. For absolute reliability, I shoot only high-quality ball ammunition. That big .45 slug doesn’t have to expand to be effective.” From Guns and Ammo, September, 2001.
I'm curious if Clint thinks UMC, WWB or American eagle is High Quality ammo, I don't and I have my doubts he does but.... I use 185gr ammo in my semi because it has a 4-1/4" barrel, for a 5" 1911 230gr ball is the ammo IMHO

#12 ·
Thanks

Thank you for everyone's input. I have not had any problems with the Winchester rounds besides being dirty. I have read some negative reviews online so that was why I was looking for suggestions. I shoot a Glock 21 sf for what its worth. I just see the higher priced round being sold in packs of 20 and was looking for a website that sold them in bulk. I don't think I will stop buying the Winchester as they are a good value but I would like to have a few hundred rounds of high quality ammo in case.

#14 ·
You know I shot a 100 rnds of tulammo in my xds 45 the other day, just to see if it would run it ok, and it actually liked it. Needless to say I was surprised because of all the bad press I had heard

Now the gun was filthy afterwards but it did run flawless and the stuff is cheap

#15 ·
I did the same thing using a Sig P220, and achieved the exact same outcome.

I wouldn't do it again, though, not because it wouldn't cycle the gun, but because it was such a major PITA to load the rounds into the magazine. I'd rather pay $1 more per box for the Serbian Privi Partizan rounds that offer reloadable brass and much slicker loading.

But I was surprised by the Tulammo as well.

#17 ·
Georgia Arms bagged. I've fired several hundred rounds through my Hi-Point and it works every time. They sell in at least two diff bullet weights so read the labels. I didn't read close enough to notice that at first. Just mixed it all up together in the mags. Worked just fine anyway and is more accurate than my eyes are.

#20 ·
Federal American Eagle works well in all of my 45 ACP semi autos and revolvers, as does Winchester white box. I shoot a lot of Wolf/Tula to save a few bucks. I find that it is just as accurate and not that much dirtier. I stick with FMJ except when I reload with cast bullets. My 1911's do not like Wolf Gold hollow points. I have some Hornady Critical Defense stuff, but I keep that for my revolvers.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.