Survivalist Forum banner

Remington UMC 250 Round Bulk Pack at Walmart

14K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  billwilla 
#1 ·
Our local Walmart is getting stocked to the gills with ammo now. No .22 for a year and now shelves full of CCI, 550 packs, .357 sig and such.

Saw a 250 bulk pack of Remington UMC .40cal pistol ammo. I have been buying the Winchester White Box (50 rounds) for under $17 a box. They had the UMC for $69.

I asked to see it and took out a round. The front of the jacket has a round indention on it, the case is not crimped and overall the feel is 'cheap'. Compared to the Winchester, it looks like re-branded junk (I know Remington likes to do this with their firearms).

Anyone have experience with this ammo? Any feedback on the accuracy, cleanliness or otherwise?

For a mass 'bang bang' it is a good deal but not if it is going to be junk.

#3 ·
It felt like junk. Remington may be a major brand however they also import a lot of off-shore items and re-brand it.

They cases were not crimped, this can lead to feeding problems and bullets not staying seated under recoil.

The bullets had round (clear) indentions in it. Never seen this before however it appeared to be very thin 'tinny' jackets.

Overall the rounds looked un-refined, with poorly stamped bases and a fairly unpolished appearance.

I am the farthest thing from pretentious but I also recognize when something looks like junk on the outside. Kinda why I asked here to make sure that my first glance was not off base ;)

#4 ·
I've used a lot of UMC. It's better out of the white box than the yellow. All the UMC I've seen in yellow boxes is FMJs and made for target practice. I wouldn't pretend to tell you to buy it if it's visually defective. Sounds like a bad batch though, because I've shot plenty of yellow box that didn't have problems. I've never had one fail to go off. It's actually pretty clean in comparison to say CCI Blazer Brass. It's not the most accurate, but certainly serves the purpose. For me at least. I'm not gonna shell out premium prices to shoot 200 rounds at the range for fun.

#14 ·
Funny story.

Last night after a day of meetings (trip down South) couple of the guys invited me out to go shooting.

One of them had the same yellow box of UMC ammo I was looking at. We had both a Glock 22 gen 3 and a Sig 226 in .40 to shoot.

They bought a few bags of the range reloads too.

Now on those reloads,... not kidding, they would keyhole 1 in 3 as short as 20 feet. At 45' they were 2 in 3 easy. Very inaccurate and with that egg smell for the powder. Looked good outside but they were total junk.

Then I shot the UMC. It was accurate, shot every time, no cycling problems and turned out to be fairly decent. Was getting 2"-3" groups at approx. 30' or so with it. Ended up shooting at least 100 rounds of it if not more. Was pleased with the results.

What really got me though is that their reloads looked just like the WWB stuff on the outside so the irony was not lost on me.

#18 ·
most of Remington's offshore production is at facilities they own. That is where Aguila (pretty sure this was the one anyway) ammo comes in. It used to be a Remington factory but was bought out and produces for itself now. They make their ammo cheap cause they do everything on site too.

#19 ·
Good ammo is really taking the HARD turn up in price now,

http://www.ammoman.com/p/405/9mm-winchester-ranger-124-grain-fmj

Cheap stuff will still stay kind of inexpensive. That UMC stuff operates OK. The White box stuff runs better than the yellow box stuff though.

WOLF is just real dirty! That can disable your weapon. UZIs, STENS and, AKs can eat it well though for a while.

High capacity magazines are what will be expensive and hard to get in a couple of weeks. Get extras ones kind of cheap now while you still can.

#22 ·
As of now I have shot though a couple 1,000 of these rounds without any issues. They are not as accurate as better quality rounds however they function 100% in all the firearms that I have tried them in (all .40 S&W so far).

I got my Pop a box of the .45acp and 9mm and both have been 100% in everything he has tried.

I shoot my G27 out to 80 yards on gongs and once I am dialed in the rounds are accurate enough to not be all that much of an issue. I do notice that if I jump to a solid defensive/handload that the accuracy is better but it is not something that will stop me from purchasing them going forward.

#23 ·
The best stuff to get at my WW are the Federal value packs. It's the same price as the steel cased Tula. Winchester white box is a slightly cleaner, but not worth the $4 more per box. My guns can't tell a differance. I was buying the Tula for awhile because it was all they had. It fed fine but was very underpowered and dirty. My still buy a box or two to train my wife on because of the mild recoil.

#25 ·
They still had these in stock at my wally world last Nov. but they were priced at $82/box. They were out of stock when I checked again in Dec. (along with pretty much everything else.) They got in 5 boxes in late Jan. and they were gone in the same day. I got one box, they were priced at $87, but I get a 10% discount. Luckily I bought several boxes of the Winchester 100rnd value packs before sandy hook, then during dec. I was getting a 20% discount and bought the last 5 boxes of 40 cal they had in the form of the 50rnd boxes of winchester. I had really planned on loading up on ammo with the 20% discount, but the shelves were almost all bare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.