Survivalist Forum banner

Ruger LC9 or Kahr CM9

4K views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  RAJTENN 
#1 ·
Which one of these would be better for the lady in my life? The ruger is a hundred bucks less. My main concern is reliability!:thumb:

#4 ·
Watched a lot of reviews on both guns, as both were potential candidates for my 9mm carry gun.

From everything I've read, Kahr has a lot of mixed reviews. Some love it, some have reliability issues. It is a little difficult to rack. However, it is a nicer looking and the more comfortable pistol of the two, IMHO.

I haven't read or heard of many reliability issues with the Ruger, other than the accidental engaging of the safety (there is a work around on the net to disconnect the safety). It's a little easier to rack, however the Ruger has the worse trigger of the two. The Ruger also comes in some different colors, like Raspberry, for women.

#7 ·
I've seen the mixed bag of reviews as well. I have the CM9 and the CW9 and both have been flawless since day one. The CM9 is my EDC for over half the year here in TX. It has by far the best trigger of anything in that size range, excellent sights for that size gun (rare) and it's very light recoiling. The very light recoil is because of the very heavy recoil spring and many ladies and less experienced shooters have difficulty racking the slide as a result.

A lot of the reliability issues I've seen are with folks who opt for extended magazines but not all. I count myself as very lucky since neither of mine have ever had any reliability issues and neither has the one my dad bought as his EDC. My recommendation if you do get one is start by racking the slide 200 or more times and leave it locked open over-night before heading to the range the first time then clean and lube it per the directions. It'll work out any rough spots or burrs and lighten that recoil spring slightly. After the initial break-in the springs never get much lighter than they end up after that first spring break-in.

I checked out, fired and fondled the Ruger, Beretta Nano, KelTech PF9 and since a Sig P290. I hated the trigger and/or sights on most. The only one I fell in love with is the one I still carry regularly, my CM9. If you get a good one, you'll be very happy you chose it. If you get one of the ones that slipped through QC and end up sending it back, it may take more than one trip for them to get it right, if they ever do. It's a gamble but I'd gamble again on one if anything ever happened to mine.

#8 ·
I have the Kahr CM 9 to which I add a laser max. Love it.

Reactions: Bushmaster1911
#10 ·
My Kahr was completely non-functional out of the box. I mean as in, didn't and couldn't work. They made it right, and it's been flawless ever since.

Definitely not a gun to trust without extensive testing and breaking in.

#11 ·
We have both, also a CW9.

The Kahr's have better triggers, as mentioned the LC9 has a loooong trigger. Longer than the Kahr's even.
The Ruger is bigger and heavier, the CM9 seems to hide it's size really well, better IMHO.

My wife is carrying the CW9, but since the LC9 we got has the integrated laser, and also a safety (don't get me started on it, I know, but it's her deal), she's testing it out.
The Ruger is a decent little pistol, I'm just not a fan of all the safety doo-dads. My wife however, is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.