Survivalist Forum banner

Kahr T9 and bug out.

7K views 13 replies 11 participants last post by  drobs 
#1 ·
I was told by an “expert” that a semi auto hand gun like the Kahr T9 (my personal favorite handgun) was not good during a bug out situation. He said that they are fitted too tight and would only work in an urban environment; it would jam in a bug out situation if exposed to even a little dirt. Is this true?

What other single stack 9mm would be ideal for a bug out situation?

#2 ·
Well you can go out and test it, but this might be hard to do if baby your things like I tend to do.

If this “expert” was referring to semi-autos in general, then that statement is pushing it. It is true that revolvers are inherently more reliable than autos, but there are some extremely reliable semi-autos available. Glocks, Sigs, and even some 1911s have proven to be more than reliable enough in all sorts of conditions.

Most modern quality handguns should be able to withstand a little dirt.

Most other single stack 9mm are subcompact designs that will take a little getting used to over the bigger T9. Some I can think of include the Kel-Tec PF9, Ruger LC9, Walther PPS, and Sig p239.

If you want to move up to .45 the Sig P220, Glock 36, and a quality 1911 are nice single stack options to consider.

As for you, I would stick with what you’re comfortable with. It does not make sense to go out and buy a new wonder gun if you cannot hit what you are aiming.

#10 ·
Revolvers are MUCH less tolerant of dirt than automatics. How many armies issue revolvers? A very complicated mechanism, full of small parts.

Your Kahr might be a bit tight. Shoot it! Also, it is a concealable pistol. keep it covered and that will reduce the crap getting into it.

If you were going to buy something different, it should be a Glock 19 or 23.
They will run dirty and full of dirt yet still make torso hits at 100 meters.

#9 ·
Kahr makes good stuff but they are largely meant for concealed carry with tropical clothing. S&W 3913, HK P7, Kahr's, lightweight 1911 variants are great handguns for those needs but I find it very difficult to argue with a Glock 9/40/45 as a designated Bug Out Handgun.

#12 ·
Personally I look at bug out guns in a different light.

They have to be accurate, they may be needed to put meat on the table (rabbit/squirrel), they may be needed for personal protection (head shots anyone?) and I must trust them, it's the defense of my and my families life at stake.

So if that T9 is your daily carry gun, it's already proven itself as trustworthy to you, you're good there.
It's tight? Great, less places for garbage to get into the gun.
Worried if it'll fire after being dunked in the mud and sand? I'd have the same worry about any of my wheelguns and auto's including the Glocks. They'd get cleaned before I would try to fire them.

Realistically your bug out gun is going to be exposed to the same dirt, crud and muck as you face daily, especially if it's a concealment gun. If it's reliable now, it'll be reliable then. Give it the same attention you give it every night when you take it off and put it down, a quick wipe and maybe some lube.

If you go into the drink, pull the maintenance on your knives and guns you know they need. If you go into the mud and sand, same thing.

People think that bugging out means crawling through radioactive slime, covered in leaches while a sand storm rages around you. If you're crawling through that, you should have stayed home.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.