Survivalist Forum banner

Ruger LCP vs Kahr Pm40/9, .38 revolver, Rorghbar 9mm, Kahr 380, etc for front pocket?

16K views 27 replies 23 participants last post by  user 
#1 ·
I did side by side comparisons and narrowed it down to sticking with my Ruger LCP or switching to a Kahr PM9, PM40, .380, Roughbar 9mm, or a .38 revolver. I want to carry in my front pants pocket on regular cut jeans. I like the sights on all the Kahrs over my LCP.

My ankle gun is a Glock 27 and it is TOO BIG for me to pocket carry. Anyone have pics of these guns side by side? I can handel recoil so I might go with the Kahr PM40 I just fear it will be so big that I wont be able to pocket carry it. The sig.380 as well as others are too big for my pockets. Anyone carry any of these?

I will go with the Kahr if its the only thing that fits b.c the sights on the 380 kahr are much better than the LCP. I am also stuck on a .38 or the Pm40.

#2 ·
I have a Ruger LCP, neat pistol mine has never malfunctioned. With that said my plan and the way I train to use it is dump the whole magazine on target and only one target, its a last ditch gun that's it.

I dont have a PM40, but it would seem to me that out of a barrel that small my plan would pretty much be the same as with any pocket pistol, dump the mag and seek cover. I dont think I would get the 40 over the 9 though just due to recoil, I would be able to dump all my rounds faster with the 9 then the 40.

I had a Kel-tec p40 back in the day, one of the worst guns I have ever owned. The thing was painful so shoot, slow,and inaccurate. The smallest ill go with 40 now after that lesson is a XD40 sub compact.

For me the revolver is just not slim enough, it prints in my pocket to bad.

#3 ·
I've been carrying the Kel Tec P-3AT .380 in my front right pocket for a few weeks now, and it's a perfect pocket gun. (identical to LCP-except no slide lock)

I forget that it's there and I usually have it on my 24-7, even in the house. I found a good deal on some quality HP ammo as well.

Sights: pretty much none, but this is a 0-20' gun IMO. I've considered the Crimson Trace laser for it though...

My Glock 26 is still my primary (IWB at 6) so a lot of the time I have both.

---and the Kel Tec is friggin TINY compared to the G26/G27 - it makes the Glock start to seem bigger and bigger

#6 ·
The LCP, KelTec, Khar are all locked breech as well.

#7 ·
I front pocket carry a S&W 340pd .357 revolver. It only weighs 11oz empty. I use a Desantis Nemesis pocket holster and it is very easy to conceal in the front pocket... and I'm a little guy. Before you go with one of the little 380's, at least ask the guy at the gunstore if you can drop one of the little air weight revolvers in your pocket to see how it feels.

#8 ·
Big difference tween .380 and all the other calibers you mention.

If you can afford it, Kahr PM9 is best all around pocket carry there is, IMHO.

I guess you can, since you're mentioning the Rohrbaugh 9, which is insanely expensive for just a little smaller size, plus you have to change the recoil spring every couple hundred rounds, a fact that doesn't inspire confidence to me.

- OS

#11 ·
I own a Kahr P380 and a Ruger LCP. The LCP is great with a CT laser on it too. Yes, I like the sights on the P380, I put XS Big Dot's on it. It rides in my front pocket. At times, I carry the LCP IWB in a small leather holster with the laser on it. Both are good guns, back up guns only.

The Kahr has a soft recoil, very reliable and very well worth the money.

#14 ·
I can carry my LCP in my shirt pocket, pants pocket, IWB, ankle, probably on a chain around my neck and no one would ever know what it was. What point is there to good sights on a pocket pistol? You shouldn't be using it past about 6 or 7 yards, just aiming down the slide (or barrel, whatever the case may be) should put you on the target somewhere.

#15 ·
Carry my Kahr 9 in my front jeans pocket - my cargo shorts bottom pocket and my coat pocket in a Mitch Rosen holster. Love it. At 15 yards I can shoot a fist size hole in a paper plate in very short order. If you buy new run 200 - 250 rounds through it before you trust it with your life. Thing is so dang tight it stovepipes every now and then until you reach that point.

#18 ·
I use a .38 snubby, Kahr CW9 and Kel Tec P32. I often use the P32 (yes, it is only a .32) over the others because it can go into my pocket. I'd rather use a .380 and am thinking about a LCP, but am nonetheless sold on the Kel Tec-esque size. I use all 3 as pocket guns, but use the P32 by far the most, then the .38, and finally the Kahr. I can take the Kel Tec anywhere, where the others require thought.

#19 ·
Something to consider is a Kel-Tec PF-9, though I know that some may flame for adding Kel-Tec to the list. If you are looking for larger caliber pistol in a small package, this may meet your needs. It was the only 9mm that I could find that is small enough to effectively conceal w/out breaking the bank. It's definitely small enough to put in your pocket w/ room to spare.

#20 ·
No contest. Kahr PM9. It's far more accurate than any other pocket sized handgun. It's quite reliable with a wide variety of ammo and if you have a solid grip. The 9mm is just right. 40 is too snappy to practice with and holds one less rd. Night sights are great. Finish is great. Pricing is steep but it's a one time purchase. I cannot imagine them making anything better. Possibly a tad bit lighter but not in terms of quality.

PM40 has far too much recoil.

PM380 is good but the thing is tiny! Need to be able to handle it too!

Glock 26/27/33 is a close second for me, behind the PM9. I like em' though.

Kel Tecs are junk (just had another come apart on us last Wednesday).

LCP's are not reliable enough, and very difficult to shoot and hold onto under duress.

Snubbies are okay but pretty thick, harder to shoot, nasty recoil in Ltwt models and lower capacity. They give me the most headaches when I teach. Still they work okay.

Rohrbaugh would be great if they weren't $1000. Pretty heavy duty.

Seecamp's are fantastic if you can get your hands on them. Specifically made for Silvertip JHP's, too.

Carrying little pop guns just to say you have a gun is a foolish idea. Bring the right tool for the job. Don't get out your thong and find something to stick in up there. Get some shorts and a loose t-shirt to hide a decent piece.

#22 ·
I like my Bersa Thunder .380 in an Uncle Mikes pocket holster, have over 400 rounds through her now, never jammed or missed a beat, the pocket holster has some type of materal that clings to the pocket and stays put when accessing the pistol. (front right) The sites are not the best, but they do not hang up, and at 7 yards shes very accurate.

#25 ·
I have a Kahr PM9 and a P45 both with night sights.These are my main carry guns now,PM9 in a Uncle Mike's pocket holster and the P45 in a De Santis IWB holster.When I bought the P45 I bought a 250 round pack of UMC 230 HB went to the range fired all 250 rounds thru it then cleaned it good never had a jam at all.I did the PM9 the same way,no jams with it either.I will take my Kahrs over about any other small pocket gun out there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.