Survivalist Forum banner

How to clean a knife blade

15K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Apocalypse Now 
#1 ·
Does anyone know good ways to remove tarnish from a knife blade without scratching the blade face to hell?

#3 ·
I have NEVER done this.

I would try a chemical approach first.

Even something as simple as CLR might work.

I think Eagle makes a weird cloth polish called "Never Dull", and if it were my knife this is what I would probably try first.

I HAVE NEVER DONE THIS, either of these two methods.

Use this advice at your own risk, I reserve the right to be horribly wrong.

#10 ·
My friends and I swear by this stuff called Bar Keepers Friend. All it takes is a little of the powder on a wet rag and a little scrubbing and it takes off all kinds of nasty looking tarnish and dirt. Best part is that its dirt cheap. Last time I got it was at Home Depot and it was less than two bucks I think. I've even found it at dollar stores before.

#11 ·
Usually any kind of metal polish will work. I like Never-Dull because it is ready to use and has almost no clean up.

Next up, I use polishing compound. Don't bother unless metal polish doesn't work. Use an old shirt and some elbow grease. If its real bad you can use a buffing wheel at low speed. Practice on something you don't care about though. Buffing wheels can take a lot of, fast.

Next, I use 1200 grit sand paper. Only use this in small areas and only if you have to. Even super fine sanding will kill the surface.

Finally, I go to high speed buffing using a wheel and a wheel on a rotary tool. This will leave swirls and whatnot, but will clean most spots and stains.

If you have rust, treat it will oil and a brass brush. This will get most small spots and thin sheens of rust. If the brass scratches the blade(your blade sucks) use a copper brush.

For larger amounts of rust, use a rust removing compound. Follow the directions carefully. This stuff is not for playing around.

For heavy rust or large areas, you can use tank electralysis. You can find directions online on how to do this using an old phone charger. It works well, but does require time, patience, and some knowhow.

Make sure to clean well and oil your blade when you are done with any of these options.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.