Survivalist Forum banner

Building a bunker under my basement!?

14K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  Dwind 
#1 ·
In a few months from now, I am planning on having some pros come in and build me a bunker under my basement! If my town doesn't give me a permit for a "silly" reason, I am going to tell them it's a wine cellar ;)

I plan on using this space for my food storage and shelter just in case anything really bad happens, like nukes or whatnot, and my gun room will be right above!

Do you guys think this is a good idea? Any suggestions on making it more awesome.? lol

#2 ·
Well first question would be are you hiring pros from local companies or out of state companies?

IMO out of state'ers are the only way to fly. If you can afford it get a company from several hundred miles away to do the work. That way when/if TSHTF, they will have to travel several hundreds of miles to raid your safe room, that they know every thing about. Remember, if they build it, they know where it is, and how to get into it.

Also, wine cellar vs. safe room... they are completely different, and convincing a contractor that your wine cellar needs 12" re-enforced concrete walls/ceiling/floors will be a bit suspicious. Just call it a panic room for your wife... say you travel alot, and your wife is very paranoid about a break in. They should dismiss it alot easier than calling it a bunker/safe/BOL/etc.

But that's just my pair of pennies.

Buy the way, welcome to the boards

#6 ·
I personally wouldn't put it under the basement, it will be highly cost prohibitive. Your house will have to be supported somehow as they dig underneath your foundation. Plus you will probably have to have some kind of pump to keep it dry. What I would do is build it "next" to your basement.

Have the contractor saw cut a hole in 1 basement wall, you will need a structural engineer's drawing and stamp so the contractor will know how to do it right. Put yourself in a blast door and excavate your room. 10x12 or whatever you want. Pour footings, I'd do 2-3' thick poured walls with lots of rebar. Then, that same engineer you hired earlier could do your drawings for your concrete ceiling. You'll have some steel beams and a steel ceiling on which the concrete will be poured. I'd want the ceilling a least 2 feet thick. Have the entire structure tarred, maybe even some truck bed liner! Backfill, then build a shed or garage on top of that.

You might also want to have some culvert put in for an emergency exit, but I'd don't know if I'd bother.

#7 ·
I was thinking along the same lines as Preacherboy. An addition onto the basement that has a slab on top. I probably wouldn't use that much concrete. I would use lots of heavy rebar and weld the joints. I would insulate the outside walls down to frost line, insulate between the basement wall and safe room wall and the top. It should stay a very comfortable temp. yr. around. A second exit would be nice to have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.