Survivalist Forum banner

Let's try this and build the "Perfect BOB"

428K views 1K replies 658 participants last post by  Gunner65 
#1 · (Edited)
We all have the hope that we have the perfect “BOB” when in fact any two of us may be completely different and that is ok. Seeing how we base our packs to fit our surroundings.

But with that being said let’s try something, everyone that reads this post please add “ONE ITEM” to this post so at the end we may just in fact have the perfect BOB…

I will start with my one item suggestion: (Remember ONLY ONE item you can add) This may also show what you feel is most important…

Water Filter /system

#815 ·
ok here is my BOB list, please let me know if there is anything i could be missing. I know its somewhat extreme but as i learn new skills i think i might make my pack smaller :eek:)
thanks

Personal Stuff MOLLE ruck sack
Extra clothes Bandanas Boonie Hats/ shemagh Dry bags
Boots + extra insoles Gloves 2-3 pairs of socks
2-3 pairs of underwear Undershirts Sewing kit Tricolor bags
N95 masks Bug repellant sunglasses Ziploc bags
Shelter
blankets Mylar 3-4 person tent Fleece Sleeping bags light
Sleeping mats Duct tape 550 Para cord
Mosquito nets Trash bags poncho
Hygiene
Baby wipes Tooth brush Sea sponge(fem) tooth paste
Soap bar Deodorant Plastic comb
Disposable razors Hair ties Rubber bands
Hand sanitizer Baby powder Floss
Lip balm Toilet paper shampoo
Communication
Binoculars Motorola radios Solar battery (charger) “Rite in the rain” notepad
Eton crank radio Signal mirror Map waterproof
Compass Notebook/pencil Whistle
Water
Purification tablets Bleach(8-16 gtts/gal) Collapsible container
Water filter
(Sawyer inline) Stainless steel canteen with cup and stove top (Canteenshop.com)
Fire/Light
Magnesium starter Storm proof matches Metal match White box stove (measure to fit in pot) Heet fuel for stove
Cotton balls Vaseline Steel wool Citronella candles Head lamps
9 volt battery 9hr candles Strike a fire Lighter Crank flash lights
Magnifying glass
Tools/food
Pocket knives Machete E-tool/trowel coffee
Multipurpose tools Axe Eating tools(Ozark trails) Rice
Aluminum foil(cook) Snare(use 550 cord) Cookware stainless steel Sugar
Fishing kit/bait Slingshot P-51 can opener chocolate Dish scrubber
Mainstay/Datrex rations Salt/pepper Coleman Chain mate Bio-dish soap
First Aid Kit
Tweezers Blister cream Razor blades Snake bite kit
Scissors Nail clippers Safety pins Temp cavity filling NPA(airways)
Antibiotic ointment Burn ointment Antiseptic wipes Butterfly closures Ammonia
Bandages Gauze Gloves leather Band-Aids Glucose tabs
Med tape Iodine Blood clotting pack Q-Tips Ear plugs
Medical staples Alcohol Thermometer Mertiolate CPR mask
Imodium Antacid Decongestant Anti-itch cream Saline solution
Laxative Lozenges Vaseline New skin Eye drops
Heat and cold pack Tylenol

#821 ·
ok so i read up to page 17 and skipped to the end. i havnt seen any one mention a cloth diaper. i carry 2 when out i think of it as a clean/dirty thing but these will absorb alot of water and store easy. we used cloth diapers with both our kids and the inserts for the new style diapers are a great sizeand some of the fibers they are made with are antimicrobial and/or antifungal. i do plan on throwing everything on a custom bike trailer that i am building. and i will tow it while the wife tows the kids. as a vetern that weighs 150 and i have carried a 100 lb. pack.... it sucks!!!! and you are nowhere near combat effective at that weight ratio

#822 ·
Rubberbands. I'm sure someone already mentioned it, but this time I'm informing an interesting way to use it.

Wear it near the end of your pantlegs, I've been using this method to keep a pair of sweatpants' pantlegs from dragging itself against the floor. Wear the rubberbands across the pants legs, pull it up to the place you want it to stay.

The sweatpants was made with good fabric so I didn't want it go to waste, and I'm too lazy to find someone to resize it. This method solves the problem.

However, pants with tougher, heavier material probably can have trouble staying lifted by rubberbands.

This method can come in handy when you're scavenging and you find a pair of pants with long pantlegs

#826 ·
Alright. I have a bolt action .223 rifle, I also have a chamber adapter (MCA Sports) which will allow me to fire it as a single shot 22lr.
A small fensel lens (fits in wallet). GI canteen, with cup and the small stove which is available for it. Extra socks "wrapped" around my canteen. They get wet and help keep it cool during the heat here in the desert, can also be worn.
My Leatherman tool; but if only able to grab one item and flee it would be my Ka-bar knife.

#828 ·
Great ideas

I made it through every page in this post. I'm tired and could just imagine how exhausted I'm going to be lugging these supplies around.

My deduction is; if you already have a BOL, then put all this stuff in it. Take water, shelter, fire, and as little of everything else necessary to keep you alive until you get there. Cody, dave, joe & others start with a knife.

Those of us who are going into the woods for a while to avoid being amongst the chaos that follows a serious SHTF situation. It is time to really list what you can live without. Because carrying it all ain't gonna happen. Remember too, a lot of it you can find along the way.

What I take away from this tremendous amount of material. Some great web sites for products I don't have, new ideas for those I do and knowing that there are good people out there who just want to make it another day.

See you in the woods and thank you all!

#841 ·
I have my needles pre-threaded with a length of thread, incase I need to use them when I have cold wet hands or maybe if I only have one hand available.

Maybe instead of tampons, maxi pads. I'm a dude so they may not be as comfortable, but they can also be used as bandages in emergencies. Very absorbent.
Yeah I went for pads too, seemed like the better option.
Also in the post holocust BOL, we'd have theme nights to boost moral and I could go as an 1980's Olivia Newton-John :D::D:

SL:)

#835 ·
Now I am new here, but not new to preping. and I haven't read this thread in its entireaty. But the plie for my BOB is getting as big as anyones. And our BOL is mobile to start, but can be abandoned if necessary. Our gear is ready all the time, but I just read one of the best ideas I have seen in jimnan88's post- suggested using a bicycle and even a burley or trailer to move your gear. GENIUS!

#836 ·
great idea, send the name when you get it up and running.
jb

As the newbie I posted this without Quoting, oops.

I'm referring to the app for keeping all this organized with reminders for when to replace old items etc....

The excel file I have doesn't work that well on the phone which is always with me.

An app that was with me at the grocery store, sporting goods, hardware store etc.. would be great.

#842 ·
I don't know if anyone has listed it but I always find room for some Orajel or other numbing medications, especially for your teeth. I busted one of my molars a few days ago and it was immediately excruciating.

BTW, great thread. It has opened my eyes a lot on what I really need and what I don't.

#845 ·
Really?

This list is for the perfect BOB, not INCH bag! A BOB shouldn’t be necessary for more than about a week, or your plans are off and you need to reevaluate. The items that I’ve seen listed may be good for long term, but by nature a BOB is pure SURVIVAL. Don’t worry about trading items for the future, don’t worry about antibiotics (antibiotics don’t work day 1, so if you need them you should already be at a predertmined spot loaded with supplies), don’t worry about zombies, nuclear fallout, sheriff run towns, or any of the other stuff you see in the movies. Worry about surviving for 7 days with what you can carry on your back! Everything is based on YOUR environment. If you live in a desert you need to carry water. If you live in a place with ticks, then carry tick repellent. Your BOB is directly related to your situation, not mine. Your survival is directly related to your training not mine.

If you’ve never walked more than 10 miles with your BOB loaded you’re dead. These bags that weigh 50lbs + are completely idiotic. The RANGER packing list puts my ruck at about 65lbs (not counting food water and weapon), so how in the world do you couch ninjas plan on walking for days on end with a BOB that weighs more than that? If you’ve never taken a 4 day weekend to pack into somewhere that you have to survive with what you can carry then you should seriously reconsider your plans. Below is a list of items that ensure survival. This list is tailored to my situation, so make adjustments to fit you.

This list is in order of precedence (depends on your area. Mine is an arid climate, so water is a must for me 2Gallons is sufficient) as to what you’ll need to survive.
Water 16 LBS
A good fixed blade knife .5LBS
Some type of water filter 1LBS
2 *3600 Cal survival bar 3LBS
Necessary medications for survival NA
Rope (preferabbly 550 cord) 2LBS
firearm + (250+) Rds ammo 15LBS
3 different fire startes 1LBS
Poncho 1LBS
Hat .5LBS
sun glasses/safety glasses .5LBS
Duck Tape 2LBS
waterproof bag 1LBS
Fresh change of clothes + 6 pair socks/ underwear 4LBS
Coat 2LBS
Pencil, pen, paper and marker. 1LBS
Marking Item (e.g.,cateye tape to mark trees, direction) .5LBS
Extra pair of boots 2LBS
Radio/ communicator 1LBS

Improved cardio PRICELESS

The grand total is…. 54LBS. that’s right without other “necessities” 54 LBS of pure love on my back. Like I said this list is tailored to me. I have a family to leave messages for, and live in a fairly dry climate so I need to carry water. Some of the other items depend on the time of year, and my direction of travel based on the disaster.

My advice to you is to focus on necessities and PRACTICE. If you live in a city put a backpack on your back and see how long it takes you to hike out. If you live in the country spend 4 days and nights living out of your bag.

If you have complaints you can email them to me at (idontgiveadam@suckitup.mail)

P.S. My caveat to all this is that if you've been training with your bag and are currently capable of doing it good for you! you're on the right track!

#848 ·
For me, leaving out as much unneccessaries as possible...and keeping

My hobo stove,
walkie talkies,
dried foods,
pre downloaded games and apps on the cell phone that don't require internet for the munchkin to play,
my crank radios and lights all have cell phone chargers...
solar battery charger, batteries are already charged and in the things I need them for
wear as much of the clothes I bring as I can so I don't have to carry clothes
hats on heads already
dryer lint is my new best friend
coffee, I want energy to keep moving
my weeeee tent!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.