Survivalist Forum banner

is a .22lr pistol needed if you have a .22lr Ruger takedown?

6K views 23 replies 20 participants last post by  jstert 
#1 ·
If you own a .22lr Ruger takedown, is there really any need to have a .22lr pistol?

#2 ·
Yes. The Takendown is nice, but even with it's quick assembly, it takes much longer to deploy than a pistol. Size is also a big issue. The best attribute of a good .22 pistol is that it can be stowed in a BOB and take up very little space, but still provide a great game getting option. They are also invaluable for training new shooters on handguns without wasting your center fire ammo.

#3 ·
In my opinion, no you don't need one. But, you might want one. Just depends on your other needs. They, 22 pistols are fun, and can be useful for training yourself, and others, and take very little space. Necessary, no. A good 380, or Makarov serves a lot of the same purposes and takes up no more room in you BOB.

#4 ·
IMO
a defensive close encounter weapon needs to be a man stopper . The .22 can kill if hit in the right spot but for a novice that's a push.
Center mass with a .22 generally does not stop.
.357 mag/38 special or better , this is a personal protection man stopper.
The advent of bullet proof vests and those drug induced make earlier lighter rounds less effective in STOPPING aggression.
Shot shells can be used in the .357 mag as well as 38 special ,ideal for practice.
If you are insistent on .22 hand gun as a defensive tool, double action or semiautomatic are what I prefer..
Single action weapons are for an era gone by, and more for fun than practical defensive applications.
They are cumbersome in unloading a reloading.

#5 ·
The way I look at it is that I would always have a larger caliber handgun with me and a rifle is just so much more accurate than a pistol.

The ruger 10/22 takedown is very small in my opinion and the fact that it brakes down makes it really easy to keep in a backpack.

Plus you have 25 round clips. The takedown is really a nice gun and I am surprised how much I like it as it is my first 22lr.

Basically, I see no reason why I would really ever want to shoot the pistol. Cheaper to practice doesn't apply anymore when you can't find .22lr cheap. I can just use my bb gun to train new shooters as it is much cheaper.

They are going to have to step up to the larger caliber sooner than later anyway.

#6 ·
I vote 'no'. I've heard the idea that a .22LR pistol can be used for 'training', but let's be real. .22LR ammo is at present very difficult to find and very pricey when you do. For a few cents more per round you can train with your actual handgun and get a better feel for recoil, along with reloadable brass. I don't see myself taking small game with a .22LR pistol and I certainly don't see myself carrying one for defensive purposes.

Disclosure: I own a Ruger 10/22 Takedown and do not own a .22LR pistol.

#9 ·
I agree with you I do not see myself also taking small game with a .22lr pistol.

Lets face it, for most of us we are not going to be that accurate with a pistol and as the distance increases accuracy gets bad really fast.

I can't believe the accuracy I have with my 10/22 takedown. Even at long distances I just seem to have amazing accuracy and I am not a very experienced shooter.

I originally had in mind to get a .22lr pistol but I really see no use in it, especially with ammo prices how they are.

#8 ·
i'd suggesting skipping the .22 pistol as well, a pistol is a personal defense weapon, it needs to be a "man stopper" as someone put it, either you will be in a place to have the rifle out and be able to take small game or you won't, i don't think being fast on the draw in this case really matters, anyways, the takedown goes together in seconds, it shouldn't really hamper you that much, i've had to take a rattler or two out with the takedown stowed away in the pack and had plenty of time to grab it, assemble it and clear the trail... i think if you're actively hunting the rifle would already be assembled and on your shoulder. just my opinion.

#11 ·
If you can get another, more powerful, handgun, then get it.
For only three reasons would I get a .22LR pistol. 1) to be a mate with the rifle, i.e. to put in the bag with the Ruger 10/22 [ and use the same ammo] 2) If I know someone that can shoot a .22 pistol better than they can shoot a larger caliber..
While the lowly .22LR is mostly considered to not be a man-stopper; most calibers aren't necessarily guaranteed one shot man stoppers either. Larger calibers are better, but you need to do your part. But some .22's are quite accurate considering; with my Ruger SR-22's I can pull some real good accuracy from them; I stood there at the range not too long ago shooting empty shotgun shells at 10 yards with it. Quite impressive considering I was hitting them in 1 and 2 shots. In dark areas, using Stingers, I was seeing quite impressive flash from the SR-22's too.
And of course, 3) .22 pistols can be fun just as cheap plinkers..

Would I rather have my .357 or my 9mm ? Certainly. But if all I have is the lowly SR22-- well, I'd put it to use..

#12 ·
I agree as a defensive weapon .22lr is not a good choice. Where I would see a "need" or more like a desire is if you wanted something quite and concealed while hunting small game where while you were hiking no one would suspect you have a gun and when you fired no one would hear the shot, with the right ammo. Then you get into the "is it enough velocity" or "do you plan on having a suppressor on it" I've killed rabbit with a little SR22 pistol but it's not the ideal way, that and for what they are .22 pistols are as expensive as some 9mm and larger. They are a blast for training kids and young adults who have never shot a pistol, but to that aspect you can train fundamentals with a CO2 bb gun.

It boils down to your needs vs. wants. I own two both are more of fun and training that functional tools for hunting, defense or survival.

#13 ·
I don't think weight or utility dictates an either or answer here. Take both, different applications, one breaks down the other works, all kinds of advantages. Neither one is so heavy you can't carry the other either.

The it is tooooo small a caliber ignores two inherent advantages of 22lr. First, for an equivalent weight you get how many more shots? Second, this one shot, one hit scenario hypothesized here so often, ignores the ability of the shooter with semi auto to put ten quick rounds into a bad guy. And the the total size of that hole? And ten different wound channels? And the sectional density giving you penetration? The caliber geeks laugh it off all day long. Tell that to RFK and Ronald Regan.

#15 ·
If you own a .22lr Ruger takedown, is there really any need to have a .22lr pistol?
'Any need' is very subjective to your situation, location, game you want to hunt etc.

What are you using your .22lr rifle constantly for, where you believe that having a .22lr pistol will augment and or supersede the .22lr rifle's usefulness?

If it's just to have a .22lr pistol for 'just in case' then get what you want. It's your dime and you really can never go wrong with a .22lr pistol. They are great for practice and even more fun when suppressed.

#16 ·
In a survival hunting or self defence shtf case long gun 10 22 or youth shot gun 410 or20 ga. Any one who has done much rabbit hunting knows if he's on the run which he usuale is even with a long gun 22lr your probly going to miss if you want to eat get a shot gun a youth size can fit in most back packs many stick out a little.if your hunting small game when your hunting to survive a hand full of shot shell will put more food in your belly then 50 22lr will unless your anny okle .plus with slugs and buck shot your set but I will always have my 45 on my hip!!!

#17 ·
a ruger single six is always needed for a host of reasons, and for no reason at all. im much more accurate than i deserve with a 5.5" loaded with 22wmr in an after market 8 shot cylinder by story. if i were to be limited to only 22lr to pair with a 10/22 rifle then i choose a ruger lcr 22lr to carry on me always.

#20 ·
What is "need"

I could "get by" with just a single shot shotgun.

Many people did for 100 years.

I could hunt deer with slugs, and appropriate sized shot otherwise.

The other night I was sitting in my porch and a opossum was getting in my trash. I was able to draw my .22 pistol and shoot it, whereas if I'd gone inside to get a rifle it might of got away.

I COULD of used the .40 I was wearing also, so technically I didn't "need" it.

"need" no, but I wouldn't want to be without one. I keep one in my truck, one in my bedroom, and another in a holster I put on in the evenings when I want to be ready for pests...

ETA: damnit, got me with a necrothread.

#21 ·
If you have already made up your mind, why ask the question? I have probably 1/2 dozen .22 pistols, they are mostly plinkers but can be used for other things as well. If you don't see a "need" then don't buy one. I have a Ruger Mark II SS slab side competition that is one of the sweetest shooting guns I own, have a Walther P22, have two Intratech .22s, Ruger Charger, a Sterling .22 mouse gun, and I am planning on buying a Ruger SR22 and maybe selling the P22.

#22 ·
It's up to you but I think a .22 pistol is pretty handy. I used to carry one for small game and Some tests have show that it will out penetrate some other small pocket pistol calibers. If you really need a man stopper you maybe should skip right up to a .357.

This post has been deleted
#23 ·
But everybody that knows me... knows I carry 'bout 4 to 5 pistols on me at all times.

.jpg[/IMG]
why so much?

I always have a Glock in my pocket.
One on my belt 90% of the time,
Sometimes a .22... Which can be very useful. Like 10 minutes ago when I was walking up to the house and a rabbit was munching on my food plot.

If I didn't have one in the freezer he would of been knocked over.

But 4-5?

Why?

#24 ·
buds is offering a $132 special on heritage roughrider 22lr. you cant go wrong at this low price for this decent handgun. 22lr is such a versatile round, and with wider availability returning, now would be an opportune time to mate a 22lr handgun to a 22lr rifle.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.