Survivalist Forum banner

just picked up a second hand 870 Wingmaster

13K views 22 replies 10 participants last post by  Woody Jones 
#1 ·
Furniture is ok shape, came with what appears to be a 28" bird barrel, ok it's a Wingmaster-I'd like to get a Remington 18" Home Defense barrel for it, I saw online a Police 18" barrel for $139., I just want a blue steel Wingmaster barrel (assuming Remington makes that), any suggestions as to where to order one? (and it's a 12 gauge).

#2 ·
good buy, it should do you well.

#4 ·
My Remington Express Home Defense model takes 2 3/4 as well as 3" shells, this Wingmaster I just picked up only accepts 2 3/4" which is cool with me since I plan on turning it into a Home Defense Model...I assume it holds five rounds? Possibly get a magazine extension if that's doable.

#10 · (Edited)
No where on the Wingmaster receiver is it marked 3" magnum and the barrel has 2 3/4" or shorter, so I think I'm going to have some problems maybe finding an 18" barrel for this particular old Wingmaster. Can always as a last resort, take the barrel off and ship it somewhere to have cut and a replacement bead put on it, I guess. Should call Remington, Monday and get their take on a Home Defense barrel option, Mossberg too.

#12 ·
Yes, so more then likely a Mossberg 18.5" barrel and the Remington 18.5" barrel (new factory barrel) is not likely to fit?, as new factory barrels have engraved 2 3/4" -3" magnum. Now this is where I can't quite understand it all, the receiver even if only a 2 3/4" receiver should dictate the size of the shell, clearly...the barrel would be neither here nor there actually....unless I'm missing something here???, OR unless Remington has changed the barrel mount on the older 2 3/4" only receivers/barrel mount on these older ones. ??

#15 · (Edited)
I'd like to get a Remington 18" Home Defense barrel for it, I saw online a Police 18" barrel for $139., I just want a blue steel Wingmaster barrel (assuming Remington makes that), any suggestions as to where to order one? (and it's a 12 gauge).
All 870 2 3/4-3" barrels will fit it, Wingmaster as well as Express, all except the shorty "special field" barrel, of course, but you'll have to use only 2 3/4" shells in that receiver unless the serial number ends in "M". It has nothing to do with receiver strength, it's due to the hull length not cycling and not fitting through the ejection port. Barrels are stamped 2 3/4" etc for the chamber length. It's the chamber length of the barrel that limits the shell fired, not the receiver. The receiver limits the fired hull length.

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/46586-1.html

rich

#16 ·
Great news! Thank you very much for the info.
My serial number ends in the letter "V".
Then obtaining either a Mossberg produced for an 870 or a Remington 18" smooth bore barrel shouldn't be an issue, am much relieved. I'll either purchase a Mossberg or a Remington barrel although I didn't see the 18" Home Defense barrel on Remington's website, will call them tomorrow (Monday) and see.
2 3/4" is plenty for Home Defense, for me anyway, so I should have a great Wingmaster soon, about $200. for the Wingmaster plus a brand new barrel, not bad...a magazine extension would be nice also, assuming that's doable on this older Wingmaster?

#17 ·
Called Remington, my Wingmaster is chambered for 2 3/4" and is a 1959 model.
All 870 barrels whether Wingmaster or Express whether chambered for 2 3/4" - 3" magnums (as all recent 2 3/4" barrels or chambered through 3" magnums now). So I'm a barrel away from a Wingmaster home defense shotgun. While the Mossberg barrel is cheaper, I'm going with a Remington barrel (apx. $45. more) only because I like the bead up on a little ramp, assuming this barrel comes with that-my Express 7 shot Home Defense Shotgun has an 18.5" barrel with that little ramp or platform that the bead sits on. This Remington barrel I'm talking about is 18.5" and has a built in improved cylinder...I'm guessing this will slightly tighten a pattern over the cylinder bore? (not getting it because of that, it's just how their blued 18.5" barrel comes.
Hope me sharing this from a call to Remington is of help possibly to others, only reason for me to have posted this, also, according to Remington, not all of their barrels are listed on their website.

#18 ·
All 870 barrels whether
Yeppers, all 2 3/4"-3" barrels except the "special field". Not suprised Remington forgot that one, though. You'll need to stick to 2 3/4" shells for good cycling, though, no matter what the barrel says. A 3", while being *safe* to shoot one at a time through your receiver, IF you have a 3" barrel, of course, won't cycle perfectly.

rich

#20 ·
Keep an eyeball on gunbroker. Took me a few months but I finally ran across a pristine 20" barrel with sights 2 3/4 chamber to match my 1951 2 3/4 chamber wingmaster. I held out in case the gun somewhere down the road gets out of the family (I'll kill my daughter if she does) and would be a mismatch. With 20 " barrel it sports a 3 round extension-what they call an "8" shot extension. Bluing matches perfectly barel t receive as well. Patience grasshopper!

#21 ·
This recently acquired second hand Wingmaster is a 1959 model (called remington and gave them the serial number is how I found out the age). And yes, patience, especially since I already have an Express Home Defense model and a Mossberg Persuader (like the Mossy design over the 870 but that said I still like the 870, especially a Wingmaster. I plan on taking it to a gunsmith soon and give it the once over to check for worn parts etc. I noticed the slide release lever button thingy doesn't protrude as long as my Express model, and is a little harder to engage then the Express so that would have to be looked at as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.