Survivalist Forum banner

Remington 870 express or 870 wingmaster dont know what to get

26K views 12 replies 13 participants last post by  jrswanson1 
#1 ·
which shotgun is better

#2 ·
Feel free to correct me on this but the Wingmasters have a finer finish. The express models are supposed to be made with thicker receivers. From personal experience the express models rust like crazy and I will never buy one again. Mine never saw field time and it rusted just sitting in the safe. None of the other firearms rusted. I have a 20 guage Wingmaster and is one of my favorites.

#4 ·
Both are fine guns, the Wingmasters just have a few more refinements:

The Express:
A rougher, unpolished finish inside and out. More burrs.
A rough black finish.
A hardwood or synthetic stock.
Cheaper, impressed checkering.
A black bolt.
A plastic trigger group.
The new style magazine assembly with plastic parts and the "dimples".
A rougher bore in the barrel.
Uses some MIM, (moulded steel parts) in critical areas, like the extractor.

The Wingmaster:
A much smoother, polished finish inside and out. No burrs.
A polished blue finish.
Walnut or synthetic stocks with choice of gloss or satin finish.
Better quality checkering.
A chrome plated bolt.
An aluminum trigger group.
The old style steel magazine assembly, no dimples.
A much smoother bore.
No MIM parts are used in any critical area.

#8 · (Edited)
I have a 12ga. Wingmaster 3" Magnum with a 28" vent rib barrel that I have owned for about 20 years. It is a great gun but it is so nice looking that I hate taking it in the woods. So last year I bought a 870 Express 3 ½”Super Magnum with a 28” vent rib barrel. Now I have the best of both worlds! I also recently bought a 870 Express Youth model 20ga. for my wife and I am thinking of buying a 870 Express Super Slug Deer Gun as well. But there are so many models that what ever you are looking for in a pump shotgun you can find it in a Remington 870 the choice is yours.

#10 ·
I have a express and it is a great shotgun. I also have a 1100 trap model and a wingmaster. The wingmaster is by far a better shotgun when it comes to fit and finish.

None of these 3 shotguns (These are my rems) have never given me any issues for function! You can go wrong either way you go. But the wingmaster is the "better" of the 2. Depinding on what you want to do with it of course. I would go express if you are on a budget and need a shotgun to get down in the mud with!!!! (so to speak)

#11 ·
Wingmaster 100%

i owned a used 12 gage wingmaster for 10 years (It was probably 10 or 12 years old when i got it) and used it in the woods continuously. it was my go-to gun for pheasant, grouse, squirrel, deer, you name it. I almost put squirrels on the endangered species list with this gun.

When i sold it for food money back in '83, it still looked brand new. only mark on it was from me slamming the stock into a huge nail on a step up to a deer stand. other than that, the finish looked brand new. I had an ad in the local newspaper over the weekend and it was sold by 7:00 a.m. on Saturday for a very fair (and profitable) price.

These are tough, top-notch guns that i wouldn't feel bad taking into a woods ever. They are classics for a reason: they're tough, smooth, and always work.

I've recently purchased a new one and hope to get as much use out of it!

Having said all that, this is a great gun that i would never hesitate to take into the field! i looked at the express, but it just wasn't the same gun at all.

#13 ·
870 Express Super Magnum. You can shoot anything up to and including 3.5" 12 Gauge. Throw a Knoxx Spec Ops stock on it and you'll be shooting 3" slugs with a grin, not a wince, on your face. Just put some oil on the receiver every once in a while and you won't have rust problems. I take mine hunting, rain or shine.

Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.