Survivalist Forum banner

Shotgun Guru's Help....870 Wingmaster Date ID

12K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  m47dragon 
#1 ·
So I am having some serious difficulty identifying the date of manufacture of a Remington 870 Wingmaster. Before you tell me the obvious options, please read. I have already checked the online posted date codes, and I have already called Remington. Remington couldn't identify my serial number(for whatever reason.)

So here is the info on it:

Remington Wingmaster Magnum, 2 3/4" and 3" shells, blued with walnut stock and foreend, 30" factory barrel. The shotgun is in excellent condition.

-Has a XD on the barrel. This puts the month of manufacture at December and the year at either 1953, 1983, 2009. Seems easy enough right? Keep reading.
-Serial number starts with a W and ends with a M
-has MAGNUM written on the receiver.
-Has the remchoke system.
-Has a PLASTIC mag tube plug

So heres the thing. The fact that it says magnum on the receiver makes me think its an older one since they needed to differentiate the magnum from the standard back then. I am pretty sure its not a 53 just because of the condition and the other features. It has a REMCHOKE system. This puts it 1986 or post but it could just be the barrel.......The plastic mag tube plug throws it off too. The guy at remington says they didn't use plastic mag plugs in the 80's. This would make it more like a 2009......Serial number starts with a W. I found somewhere online this puts it at a 82-89 manufacture. Just can't put it all together. Anyone have any clues based on these facts? Thanks for the help!

See less See more
#6 ·
Is there a star stamped on the barrel next to the gauge number? If so, the barrel is 1969 or newer.

The "W" pre-fix on the receiver serial number indicates 1984-1990 production. The "M" suffix indicates Magnum chambering.

You are correct on the month of the barrel, but the year would be either 1957 or 1983. I'm betting 1983, as a 1984+ receiver would easily have an old stock barrel for final assembly (only one year or so difference.) If the star is stamped on the barrel, it's a 1983.

Some sources say that the Rem-Choke didn't appear until 1986 on the Wingmaster, so I think you're right in the mid 80's production.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.