Survivalist Forum banner

Remington Wingmaster for $400?

8K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  Ranger375 
#1 ·
I got a chance to buy a excellent condition Remington Wingmaster in 12 gauge for $400. I am currently shotgun-less and need to get one. I was planning on just getting a Remington 870 express for $300 from "Richard's" Sporting Goods but figured if I got a chance to get the nicer shotgun for just $100 more I should do it. What do you guys think? I really don't know the models of Remington shotguns. Is the Wingmaster definitely the way to go in this situation? Thanks

#3 ·
My uncle had one, and it was a little nicer than the 870 express maybe, however I think maybe it only took 2 3/4" shells? I would say buy new, but it seems like Remington's quality has gone downhill a little. The 870 express I bought brand new in 2010 has finish problems, not to mentions lots of sharp edges that can slice a finger open in the receiver, I have a few scars from cleaning it!

#8 ·
Haha I understand. I have had some Mossberg 500's and Remington 870 Expresses and both were very functional and reliable. I am just looking for something with a little bit better fit and finish. I am willing to pay an extra $100 for that. $300 more for a brand new one than a 500 or 870 express.....not so much

#5 ·
That is a good price for a Wingmaster in good to excellent condition. An advantage of the Wingmaster over the Express is that it has the same barrel retaining nut as the Police models making the addition of a magazine tube extension much easier. Of course, I wouldn't hesitate trying to get this particular shotgun for less than the asking price:)

#9 ·
I had one offered to me for $150, back about 98. It was essentially new having fired only 5 rounds. Like to broke my hand getting my wallet out. Bought the shotgun, 28" VR mod, and 2 boxes of shells minus the 5 he shot. It's still in the back of the safe and I still haven't shot it.

$400 seems a bit high but the gun will last a lot longer than the few extra bucks you'll pay will last if you don't buy it.

Rick

#11 ·
Well I bought it. I will get some pics up by the end of the day. $400 was the TOP I was gonna pay for it......that being said. it is VERY nice. Nicest shotgun I have ever owned thats for sure. I am happy with the purchase. I am gonna get a 18.5" barrel to use for HD and SHTF and keep the 26" for birdies and clays.

#12 ·
I bought my 11-87 Super mag for $400OTD, I am not sure if it is worth it, but it may be to you, any reason you aren't looking at a Mossberg 500? Even the Maverick 88 is great shotgun and can be found under $200 new. Unless you are taking it hunting I am not sure I would pay that much for a pump shotgun, if it's for SHTF, the definitely not.

#13 ·
I pheasant hunt every year on our family farm in North Dakota so yes it will be used for hunting. And to be honest these sell for over $600 brand new and this one looks new and hardly used and I got it for $400. Mossberg 500's are $279 and while they are good shotguns they are not in the same league as the wingmaster. I am ok with paying the extra 125.

#16 ·
I checked the date code and mine was made in 2006. The fit and finish are superb. I bet the guy didn't even put 50 rounds through it. Said his dad bought it for him to try and get him into hunting but it failed. Anyways here are some pics of my new acquisition:

#20 · (Edited)
I checked the date code and mine was made in 2006. The fit and finish are superb. I bet the guy didn't even put 50 rounds through it. Said his dad bought it for him to try and get him into hunting but it failed. Anyways here are some pics of my new acquisition:
No, its older. Long before 2006, it would have been factory fitted with Choke tubes- and the checkering is of the older style Pressed type. But on the bright side, it should be smooth to start with.

Regarding the date, I have a brother and a few friends in the Fine Gun room at work - I'll get a rough idea on age for you.

I think you did fine on the price. Nice gun. If you decide to swap out barrels, well they can be had easily.

#18 ·
I purchased both a 12 ga and a 20 ga wingmaster over the last 16 yrs or so. I always felt the better gun was worth the small price increase.

If the action is sound, and if it's built for 3" mag shells, I think you did well.

If the barrel is not threaded for Rem Chokes, you might want to pattern it and decide if you like how it patterns.

If you are hunting pheasants you likely want the pattern to remain effective at 35-40 yds (unless you have a lot of runners) with a #4-#6 high brass load. I keep my 12 ga choked at modified for pheasant and I no longer try shooting the ones that run and jump up past 40 yds.

#19 ·
Heck yeah man.......I have been hunting pheasants since I was 8 years old and prefer the #4 myself. I will have to take her out this year and see how she competes with my cousins beretta O/U and my other cousins Supernova. I bet the wingmaster smokes em ;)

#22 ·
I have 2 older ( 70's vintage ) Wingmasters and the " fit and feel " is so much better than the Remington 870 express or the Mossberg 500 IMO . Not as good as a Winchester model 12 . but better than anything else on the market today . For 400 $ , knowing what I know now I would buy it , and consider myself lucky . The one I have set up for hunting that I bought used , I have put at least 4000 rounds through it , plus miles and miles of carrying it through all kinds of abuse and I've never had a problem with it . I highly recommend the Wingmaster if you are looking for a pump shotgun

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.