Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Venezuela people need our help right now. elZ Manmade and Natural Disasters 146 05-05-2017 09:37 PM
venezuela johbren Financial Forum 30 02-02-2017 02:06 PM
Meanwhile in Venezuela... Sean_6399 General Discussion 0 07-31-2015 01:53 AM
What Everyone Is Ignoring In Venezuela Shank Mares Wife General Discussion 10 04-25-2014 11:11 AM
Meanwhile in Venezuela ... real wowwee Political News and Discussion 10 03-26-2014 08:07 AM
70% of Venezuela blacked out Slats Manmade and Natural Disasters 57 09-10-2013 06:20 PM
Venezuela George Newbill General Discussion 1 10-08-2012 10:40 AM
Coming soon... Russian missiles in Venezuela Lady Bug(ging) General Discussion 26 07-25-2008 08:20 AM
Venezuela's Clown at it again madcritter General Discussion 15 01-27-2008 04:46 PM
Venezuela shawn General Discussion 3 06-26-2007 11:14 PM

Old 05-20-2017, 06:34 PM
Hunter

Thanked 2,429 Times in 738 Posts

Advertise Here

Mass protests against Maduro in Venezuela.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to nkawtg For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 12:30 PM
I travel light

Thanked 1,650 Times in 510 Posts

Hi all.
Itīs not easy to tell what effects will have a general strike...yes,maybe it is just going to make worst the situation for the average citizen. The governor of Tachira (a state known by their meat and vegetables production for the rest of the country) already told theyīre going to confiscate (although our Constitution protects the private property) the cattle production facilities from those producers who get with the strike. I would like to see him doing it, because there will be no production at all after a few weeks in a seized ranch. Farm Laborers will flee, and soldiers donīt have a clue about that labor.
The horizon is very complicated. Every day we have 2 or 3 persons death, and more injured. The demonstrations are starting to be seen in my town, very few but there are becoming more and more massive. If you have the money you can find even Jack Daniels whiskey! (I had about 3 years without seeing a bottle here) but you can imagine the price. Good for my liver though. I canīt even remember the last time I had a drink, believe me.
Nowadays the most difficult is to find the money needed for fixing a decent meal.
Meat mixed with vegetables like zucchini for giving more volume and fill better the stomach, and local production vegetables and fruits are our best bet. Canned food has become a expensive stockpiling item. We donīt have canned meats nor poultry, those are sold fresh/frozen in Venezuela; usually all of the canning industry is tuna and sardines. Anchovies are mostly home made and sold as delicatesses, and are a good staple.
Salaries have become something to cry about. Almost the 65-70% of the fixed income is for food.The rest is for services and school. There is a small bartering between coworkers, as there is a wide spreading of people living all over the extension of the towns, sometimes if someone has some extra item, say vegetable oil, soap bars, toothpaste or similar, will buy some extra for bartering.

One thing that made me much nervous these last few days are the news about Brazil and Colombia getting ready for a massive exodus from Venezuela.
That has made me think than the government has issued specific orders and communications so the impact for the neighboring countries can be controlled and maintained at a minimum.

They are going to do something, and we donīt know what can be.
Why in less than a week, after 50 days of protesting, our two limit countries started to get ready for receiving refugees?.
They have planned something. The contact with some relatives inside who kept us more or less informed now has become very sporadic, and superficial. Phone and FB? forget about it.

A CNN journalist could film this from a car.
http://www.el-nacional.com/videos/pr...enezuela_28658
I just saw a few seconds. Itīs narrated in spanish but the images say it all.

KansasTerri, if youīre right with the lemongrass thing I think will have to avoid it then, Iīm allergic to the poison of those little evil things. One sting and Iīm in trouble.
Weīre starting to find commercial poison sprays for pest control, but with new dollarized prices of course. I havenīt find the citronella drops for spreading with my nebulizer. Roaming around in a big motorbike is not too wise these days; it attracts too much attention. Iīll buy a watersuit for each one of us(rainy season has started), and will keep the motorbike in the garage. Maybe will have to build a cart for taking the kid to school and back, until the SUV is fixed.

Iīve been jumpy these last few days, and I donīt know why.

My instinct tells me thereīs something bad coming this way.

I canīt do anything else but hope and pray that whatever it is, have a happy ending. Itīs really really hard to try to read an jungle animal narration from my books when I was a young kid, to my son, when all I have in my mind is ambulances, trailers, barracks, and foreign armies in the other side of the frontier waiting for refugees. WTf??.
Iīve tried to do my best for making the money worth these days, but with the inflation rates itīs not easy at all.
Well Iīll post again when have something more interesting.
Thanks people!.See you soon again.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2017, 12:59 PM
Survivor

Thanked 10,651 Times in 4,255 Posts

Greg, it is now on the news that there are daily riots in Venezuela. Everybody in the other countries are expecting a revolution, and revolutions mean refugees. I do not think that Venezuela has anything to do with neighboring countries getting ready for refugees: I think that the neighboring countries are looking at pictures like the ones above your post and thinking that if their is a revolution that all of those people will be coming across the border.

As for the cattle ranches, the Venezuelan government did not care when the sugar cane farms that they took are stopped producing anything, or when the farms with row crops stopped producing anything, or when the factories they took quit producing anything. I do not think they will care if the cattle ranches stop producing either.

While it is true that we do not hear about the daily life of Venezuelan citizens, we DO hear things about the factories that operate in both of our countries, and we hear that Venezuela now imports sugar instead of exporting it, because the sugar cane farms were taken by the government and are now sitting idle, and so forth. There are reporters who did not get caught.

Google Earth can see the riots, the idle farmland, and so forth. And, there are a few news stories coming out of Venezuela, though I have heard that if a policeman sees somebody shooting film he will stop them.

I apologize if I talk too much. I live in the area of the USA that produces most of the grain for the country as well as some to export, and it really upsets me that the Venezuelans are hungry and the government thinks that is OK. Not only are they not helping the situation, with every farm they take they are making things worse, and they know it and do it anyways, and that really upsets me.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:

Old 05-23-2017, 08:57 AM
Prov 3:5,6

Thanked 1,490 Times in 512 Posts

Greg, I have read some of your posts but not all. My tearful question is WHY are you not gone from there??? I think of the Jewish people in WWII who stayed with their homes and businesses and relatives--and died in the camps. Please leave what seems to be familiar and save your family's lives. You are young enough and smart enough to start over. Just my opinion...
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to wildartist For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 10:42 AM
I travel light

Dear Wild, your concerns are legit and your question is more than appropriate. We have a plan to exit. Iīve tried to speak about leaving out with my folks; but both mom and dad are over 70 and you can imagine how stubborn can some old goats be. In their town the turmoil has not arrived yet, and I donīt think the violence level rises there, neither they do; the entire town (itīs very small indeed) knows each other and they always find food and medicines easily(some family works in the hospital there) and my dad runs his own local business with support to the farmers; he told already than he canīt stop working and will not be able to leave (theyīre highly respected in the community). Things are not as bad (still) as when the jewish issue; and weīre all Venezuelans, that component of racism is not present with the violence it was intended to generate. Iīve seen plenty of families divided by politics; but it finishes there. If someone from one party mess with someone elseīs familiy of the other party...well, you get the point. Temper has not been lost in their town and some degree of calm is to be expected, though yes, there have been some light very peaceful demonstrations. Weīre more or less isolated here (500 kms East from my folks place) and things have not escalated that far.
Yes, we have an exit plan, B and C, but leaving means to leave my other half of the family abandoned, without medical insurance; and exposing the other half to an uncertain future in one frontier city, from the other side of the line, (Brazil) where there is a lot of venezuelans arriving in desperate conditions, subject to the abuse of some local delinquents...something Iīm not in disposition to tolerate (it has happened already with some venezuelan migrants there). Leaving just like this, means that we would enter as "tourists", not under a protected legal state like refugees. Being a "tourist", any job you could find is not stable. That will be our last exit, when we canīt resist any longer. I could say weīre at 35-40% of our limit now; but weīre planning and have some paperwork done, thatīs for sure.

To make things worst the US embassy is just this close to retrieve their personnel in Caracas, 600 kms from here, and this is a very bad signal.

I have found this link www.caracaschronicles.com it has some good information and youīll be able to understand most of the complex political picture.

I recommend specially, please, the article "how los altos mirandinos became a failed state" because thatīs exactly what is expected when civil rebellion knocks at the door.
We have not experienced yet this things so deep here; but this could change in the next few days.
Thanks for your concern, and I hope to have given some good vision of how difficult some choices can be, and how family support is so important in a survival situation.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 11:47 AM
Simple Goat Herder

Thanked 17,755 Times in 4,492 Posts

Just running away as a refugee is usually not the answer or a good idea of any sort. You're throwing away what little resources and resource production ability that you have and making yourself complete and utterly dependent on and at the mercy of others who likely have no concern for you beyond making sure that you don't cause them problems.

This is the whole 'FEMA Camp' discussion and we all mock and disparage the idea of all the unprepared people running to refugee centers and talk about how much worse they'll have it. Yet, a lot of people when presented with real life situations like this, start trying to tell the person reporting about their situation that they should pack up and cast themselves to the wind just like any unprepared person would do in an ill-informed panic.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Colt For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 11:55 AM
Survivor

Thanked 10,651 Times in 4,255 Posts

Colt, I would rather bug out than be in the middle of a firefight.

That being said, Greg is not in the middle of a fight and it sounds like most of the fighting will be someplace else, and so it is a judgment call. Like everybody else, he must do as he thinks best.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kansas Terri For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 06:00 PM
Man in the desert

Thanked 17,249 Times in 4,741 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg5791 View Post
I recommend specially, please, the article "how los altos mirandinos became a failed state" because thatīs exactly what is expected when civil rebellion knocks at the door.
The article is short but excellent. It's in English, here's a direct link:

https://www.caracaschronicles.com/20...-failed-state/
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to grant80 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 06:06 PM

Venezuela Coming Apart? This can't be true, democrats say this is the best form of government there is.
The Following User Says Thank You to wboggs For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 09:35 AM
I travel light

Post Reporting

Quote:
Originally Posted by wboggs View Post
Venezuela Coming Apart? This can't be true, democrats say this is the best form of government there is.
Iīm sorry but last night was somehow busy to post something relevant.
My wife had a re-fall in her fever and had to help the kid with homework, dishes, laundry, and some of my other job.

Our government system is simple. One person over 18,one vote. But the trick is that the institution in charge of organizing the process, the CNE or National Electoral Council is kidnapped and controlled by the government, and no longer offers transparency. The National Assembly was accused of disobeying, and their powers were seized by the supreme court. The deputies elected by more than 7 million persons have been beaten and aggressively treated by the government, who tries to impose the soviet style of government, using hunger and rationing, making huge fortunes with overpriced foreign buyings, instead of promoting the local food production that once existed...until they liquidate it.

Yes, KansasTerri, as I mentioned earlier, the worst turmoil is far away from here. But the turmoil has been spreading from Western states to the East and there is always an uncertainty level. Itīs just a matter of time before things here start to get nasty, at least in the middle of the city (there has been some upset because of the bottled propane supply). We will be ready, I hope, to bug in and hope that the people in the barrios nearby our subdivision does not have the terrible idea to go looting. I know that the response will be amazingly devastating, which is very sad because a lot of poor people works in housekeeping, plumbing and masonry in the middle class neighborhoods, and a bloodbath disguised as a "class struggle" is very nasty and will do a lot of harm to this community. But I know there is a lot of people in need there, and will make my best to help the most fragile ones.

There is a LOT more people (and with good D-Fenc tools) in our subdivisions altogether that in the barrios.
This is our worst scenario. Thanks God our family is complete here. Another man at home while Iīm not there, is an relaxing idea.
See you later,I am happy you liked the article.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greg5791 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 10:05 AM
I sell US Military MRE's

Thanked 8,366 Times in 3,214 Posts

Let's hope Venezuela's corrupt govt is able to keep control of it's 5,000 Russian hand held anti-aircraft missiles. From what I read, the military and police steal and resell military equip....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NHP1127 For This Useful Post:
Old Yesterday, 10:26 AM
I travel light

Buddy...the real danger is the payloads of ammo and handguns in the streets that DO already sell. Steal one of this things is not easy neither...and nobody is going to sell a weapon that could be used against themselves later on. But if the things keep this pace, after the last fortress fall down...you can imagine.
There will be some houses with nice livingrooms ornaments though

But I would prefer a nice dragunov (even a chinese made one) and some good ammo cans than any of these special purpose artifacts.