im back- not broke anymore, want some advice... - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Susan's Bridge (Siege of New Hampshire Series) NightOwl265 Books, Movies & Stories 346 05-17-2017 07:53 PM
Dark Days, Tiger's Story. Version 1.2 Warclaw Books, Movies & Stories 97 05-10-2017 04:26 AM
My New Best Friend DKR Books, Movies & Stories 144 04-01-2017 01:38 PM
Dark Grid - Second Edition (professionally edited) DarkLight Books, Movies & Stories 52 02-20-2017 11:57 AM
A start of something new. MayDay Books, Movies & Stories 55 10-20-2016 08:43 PM

Old 05-18-2017, 05:54 AM
Concerned

Location: Upstate New York, hiding in the dark underbelly of the 518
Default im back- not broke anymore, want some advice...

Advertise Here

Hey denizens of The Boards, its been a long while since I last lurked and posted on our great forums... I've made some big decisions, my life's slowed down quite a bit and I'm definitely wanting to get back into preps now that I need to populate this dead zone of time and social activity with something productive.

I have a budget of a few K's that I accrued from doing odd jobs over the past year and a half, some of it is definitely going towards firearms as I have a good gig at a local gun store which is too lucrative to drop; long story short I have an inroad into the gun world which most people don't get and I need to build practical skills so I can go forward and get gainful employment at something actually I'm good at yada yada yada...

all that aside I have a few K's and I want to focus on practical preps like food, water-oriented supplies et. al.

I'm looking for some basic, no-bs recommendations to add a good refresh my knowledge base, I got rusty over this long while and I need a nudge to get rolling again. Our area's water system is facing a Flint-level crisis, New York winters are what they are, and a whole pile of grid issues are definitely not getting any better... I want to get a basic bulwark down before the chill hits. I've got the BOB knowledge squared away, I'm comfortable with my EDC system and i'm upgrading some of my tac gear, but I want a basic refresh for food water systems and first aid.

Any help appreciated, especially from all the good folks still stuck in Comrade Cuomo's Empire State

Peace and blessings, YBNY
The Following User Says Thank You to Young And Broke NY For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 05:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 34,443 Times in 11,634 Posts

Bug out why?
Where?

For "a few days" whatever you normally eat will do you fine.

For 30 ish days whatever isn't dependant on electricity you normally eat will do fine buy on sale and rotate.

Beyond a 30 ish day disturbance it sounds like you'll be taking off on foot and not able to carry much anyway. (So go dehydrated or freeze dried....)

If you've got basic food at home the best thing you can do is put that money back in your pocket.

A pistol, bottle of water and $5k in cash will get you pretty far in most circumstances.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Nomad, 2nd For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 07:27 AM

Many parts of the country have a "Flint level" crisis and it's just not discussed or examined. Test your water and find out yourself then apply whatever means necessary to protect yourself. Even if you have a well you need to check your water and either treat or filter. Water filtration for an entire home can eat up upwards of $3k. I have a commercial water filtration system on my well instead of the typical salt/softener system. Safe water is job one.

Old 05-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,682 Posts

First thing, put half of the money away for emergencies only.

Water filtration and storage next.
Berkey system, even if the home built version. After that much depends on your location.
Apartment? House? How much space is available? Rainwater catchment system? What can you do there now?
How much can you store? Can you pull off an IBC tote or series of 55 gallon drums? Or are you limited to gallons in jugs?

Various food choices, canned, freeze dried, short and long term. Choose only what you will eat and use.
Start simple, just buy more of what you already use.

Do yourself a favor, make a journal for the next month. Everything you eat and drink. Then start breaking it down, make a menu and stick to it.
Now break that down into shopping lists.
If I know I will use 6 cans of chicken noodle soup in the next two months, buying a full case (24) on sale makes sense.
Same for chicken, if I'm using 2lb a week, that 10lb package makes sense. You can start home canning leftovers and any extra.

Pressure cooker/canner will become a good friend, same as a dehydrator.

Identify what you have, material and space and go from there. No point talking about 200 gallons of water if you only have a closet for everything.

Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to whirlibird For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:41 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,349 Times in 3,600 Posts

You need to make a plan, not just acquire stuff.

Making a plan requires an honest and realistic threat assessment, consideration of what needs to be done to mitigate the threats, and analysis of what you need to make those considerations happen.

That tells you everything you need to know about what gear and skills you need to make the plan happen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 03:50 PM
Concerned

The plans I have for common situations are fairly well sketched out, its come down mostly to networking and convincing the other housemates that its worth our time to prepare. I have a good base of materials, but more importantly I have a solid base of skills that I know I can use for the emergencies that will most likely hit me at this time. I've got a list for things that need refreshing and restocking, as well as a few kits I want to put together for the car and such.

And yes, I do realize a stash of $$$ would come in handy, especially given the way things seem to be rolling around here. Overall, I think filter or two and some storable munchies won't dampen the cash much after my firearm expenditure, a lot of stuff I can acquire without much hassle through friendly people and friendly places. But for filters I'm seeking toxin filters as I have a few particulate models already. Guess its not much of a help, but I digress.
Old 05-18-2017, 04:02 PM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 144,357 Times in 42,549 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

For food and water filter info, check out the food and water forum. For first aid info, there's a health, fitness and first aid forum. They're full of information that will be of use. There are a couple especially good threads on water filtration and purification active right now. If you're looking to refresh your info, then dive in!
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
Old 05-19-2017, 12:34 PM
Live Secret, Live Happy

Thanked 21,630 Times in 6,836 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young And Broke NY View Post
Hey denizens of The Boards, its been a long while since I last lurked and posted on our great forums... I've made some big decisions, my life's slowed down quite a bit and I'm definitely wanting to get back into preps now that I need to populate this dead zone of time and social activity with something productive.

I have a budget of a few K's that I accrued from doing odd jobs over the past year and a half, some of it is definitely going towards firearms as I have a good gig at a local gun store which is too lucrative to drop; long story short I have an inroad into the gun world which most people don't get and I need to build practical skills so I can go forward and get gainful employment at something actually I'm good at yada yada yada...

all that aside I have a few K's and I want to focus on practical preps like food, water-oriented supplies et. al.

I'm looking for some basic, no-bs recommendations to add a good refresh my knowledge base, I got rusty over this long while and I need a nudge to get rolling again. Our area's water system is facing a Flint-level crisis, New York winters are what they are, and a whole pile of grid issues are definitely not getting any better... I want to get a basic bulwark down before the chill hits. I've got the BOB knowledge squared away, I'm comfortable with my EDC system and i'm upgrading some of my tac gear, but I want a basic refresh for food water systems and first aid.

Any help appreciated, especially from all the good folks still stuck in Comrade Cuomo's Empire State

Peace and blessings, YBNY
My first suggestion is to take a hard look at where you live and decide if there are enough resources to stick around if society collapses. No one else can answer that question. What would be the level of competition for those resources.

You mentioned New York State. So outside the major cities, the area is very productive, but the population is many hundreds of times too large to support that population.

My next suggestion is to plan an exit strategy. It does not sound like you are a canidate to move permanently. Perhaps you should consider an exit strategy that involves a 4wd pickup, spare fuel tanks, and long term camping gear. The entire time I lived in California, I keep a camper mounted on my diesel pickup, and enough fuel to drive 1,500 miles.

Finally, start thinking about storing enough food and water to support you for awhile. I used to keep the 40 gal water tank in the camper filled, and (4) 80 lb food bags packed and loaded.

My long term exit strategy included the pickup, camping gear, the food and water, clothes, fishing rods, some steel traps, and a couple guns. After living in Cali for 32 yrs, I retired and bought a small ranch in the Ozarks.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:57 PM
Wearing fur underwears...

Preps on a limited scale are highly dependent on what you see as a possible emergency, and what your plans are to tackle it.

In my humble opinion, just some knowledge is probably number one. With the knowledge and a few tools, you possess a much greater than average chance of overcoming. Just base everything off a little more self reliance.

Having a plan on sourcing and purifying water.

Keeping warm. With your location and known grid vulnerability, I would get an inverter big enough to power a few things around the house. Not sure what kind of heat you run, but if the gas is still on, I would plan on being able to power up the furnace, hot water tank, and a fridge/freezers for a while. Use a real transfer switch or just run it all direct via power cords to the source to avoid back feeding the grid.

Fuel, tools and camping gear. If you plan on getting out; plan on getting somewhere that is sustainable long term. Have everything you need to travel a thousand miles, so you're not running to a bank, gas station, or stores which will all be a zoo when everyone has the same idea.

Food. Stock stuff that won't freeze or go bad in the near future. Dried or dehydrated stuff is easy to pack, and store, and won't go bad without refrigeration, or be ruined in freezing temps.

Guns are a little overemphasized. I say this as someone who has an ongoing list. Once the list is filled, there will always be "one more". But a couple rifles, and a combo gun or a shotgun in addition to a big bore pistol will probably do just about everything needed. Reload, practice and have lots of components. Buy a good basic tool set to keep them maintained.

Health. Plan on hygiene, and being able to take care of minor issues. Keep stuff for indigestion, pain, antiseptics, and wound care. Also antihistamines and an epi-pen even if you've never reacted to anything before.

Stay flexible. Some preppers would be completely screwed if the SHTF in any other way than the way that it's scripted in their heads.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tactical Lever For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 01:17 AM
[199]wks to off-grid esc.

The advice about keeping a good portion of your prep budget as emergency cash is dead-on. I'd suggest taking about 10-30% of that emergency stash (whatever you decide that amount to be) and buying SOME silver with it. I seem to find myself in a lot of debates on here lately about silver and gold versus cash, this advice is NOT about that, really. In your situation and location, Cash is more likely to save the day for you in most SHTF and emergency events. But having even a little silver might make the difference depending on "The Day". Silver is also more likely to stay in your emergency stash and not get pulled back into your non-emergency fund for other things (speaking from experience). I've also found having a little silver and gold with my cash stash helps me keep my own grubby little fingers off the cash every time I want a new toy, it reminds me why I keep it.
The Following User Says Thank You to KeyserSoSay For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2017, 02:41 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,431 Times in 1,996 Posts

i'm assuming you're renting an apartment. in prepping for winter power outages i would consider getting a deep cycle battery and either a plugin charger-maintainer or a small 10-20 watt solar panel if you have decent sun exposure. led bulbs and a better quality portable radio will go a long way. flashlights and candles are necessary, but using them over a period of a few days will get old. might even be able to preheat an electric blanket a little before bedtime, turning it off when you lay down at night.
gen sets, even small ones are pretty much taboo in apartments.
Old 05-21-2017, 03:01 PM
Concerned

to respond to the issue with buying guns, the answer is that they are a component of my job.
I do commission work at a local gun store as an appraiser and general assistant and I cannot work with many customers' guns (primarily pistols and also "assault weapons") due to legal issues. I'm also an ardent collector of Militaria and firearms paraphernalia, so the vested interest in firearms goes beyond a simple prepping standpoint. I understand quite well the overzealous 'Uber-tactical Nazi Zombie Korean Space Biker Mutant From Hell' crowd and their geardo gunplay. I simply want the guns because I aim to increase my technical know-how and learn how to disassemble, clean, maintain and operate various guns that are commonly in our shop so I can assist in selling them. Gotta keep the lights on somehow
(Considering that my compensation for my job is a stipend of gratuitous ammo, free range time and free attendance at training classes, it would make sense to poor crackers like me that I exploit this opportunity to the best of my ability.)

for context (and sh!ts and giggles), right now I have a .308 Spanish Mauser carbine with some spotty ammo that I bought with Christmas money- since that was the most money I've held in my hands in my whole life- and I also received a 20+yr old Bausch & Lomb 3-9x40 Scope from a friend. I refuse to chop up my Mauser baby to mount the scope as its more of a collecting hobby gun, that's the only way I justified getting it. I'd rather buy 2 or 3 more guns and have one or two mount that scope than chop up a perfectly working and nice looking vintage rifle.
-
all that aside, I live upstate only minutes from both a small city and farms and hills in my family's house. They're not the biggest on prepping despite their former professions (75+yrs combined LE/Mil/Gov't Emergency Management/Med experience at our fingertips, but we wont buy 2 extra soup cans a week because "government will help us"... whatever.) generators are on our list but 'on our list' doesn't mean 'ready to use'.

But I appreciate your guys' input regardless, its why I stay on the boards even in times of plenty. I've learned quite a few things and I'm gonna learn quite a few more.
Old 05-22-2017, 07:56 AM
Survivor

Thanked 5,821 Times in 2,682 Posts

On the guns side, GT distributors (Austin) had some G37's that would fit both the modern gun category as well as the 10 round limit for @$250. Just a thought.

The .MIL/LE attitude about the .gov taking care of things is fairly common, for those in the industry, especially if they haven't had a lot of experience in other "world's".
So many years not having to think about where the next paycheck will come from or who is supplying the gear/clothes. Been there, done that. Escaped.

Best case planning, look at Superstorm Sandy and the '77 NY blackout and the '03 and '65 Northeast blackouts for both inspiration and influence. Odds are those older will remember.

Start from the temporary, this will be over soon concept.
This is what people have seen, over and over.
Especially in the east coast areas.
People can wrap their heads around that and accept that with little work.
It's developing beyond that where you need to tread lightly.

Every time I talk with people about this out here, I end up reminding them
about the two weeks when the power was out because of a tree here in Wyoming that fell on a power line. The power eventually came on, but we for example were still snowed in for another week.

Plan for what people can grasp to start.
Old 05-22-2017, 08:55 PM
Target Shooter

I think it would be good if you could find a second job, part time that pays cash. Some cash flow is very good for prepping.

Of course the military could train you in a skill(s).
Old 05-22-2017, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by strvger View Post
i'm assuming you're renting an apartment. in prepping for winter power outages i would consider getting a deep cycle battery and either a plugin charger-maintainer or a small 10-20 watt solar panel if you have decent sun exposure. led bulbs and a better quality portable radio will go a long way. flashlights and candles are necessary, but using them over a period of a few days will get old. might even be able to preheat an electric blanket a little before bedtime, turning it off when you lay down at night.
gen sets, even small ones are pretty much taboo in apartments.
It's a shame that prolonged power outages are just so much tougher in cold climates. A deep cycle battery and a 20 watt panel are great for some things, but unfortunately not freezing to death requires a boat load of power in comparison to non freezing climates. I'm convinced that a prepper in a freezing climate needs 10 times the effort than a prepper in moderate temps does.

And hell yes generators are taboo in an apartment, hell my friend OWNED his townhouse and the HOA forbade him from putting a window AC unit in his kitchen window!! What a joke!
The Following User Says Thank You to Dirkk For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2017, 09:50 PM

For your medical needs I highly suggest https://mymedic.us/ If you have money to spend, get the fully packed medic bag. Listen, even if you don't know how to use all of it, you'll be extremely valuable assisting people who do know how to use everything.

Clothing: Invest in the G3 Combat pants by Crye Precision https://www.cryeprecision.com/ProductDetail/APRCPE9032R

You only really need the pants, the footwear I'll leave up to you. Everyone is different.

Listen, if you do plan on wearing a plate carrier or load-out vest. Make sure you buy a big velcro patch to put on the front and back that says "CIVILIAN." That should keep some trouble off your back. I wouldn't bother with a vest, stick with a good back.

www.Maxpedition.com Makes great bags, make sure you read the measurements of the bag so it's the right size that you need. I've had a 12 hour bag for years and it's durable and sturdy and hasn't failed me once.

If you do have a vest to wear, rig it with extra water, lighters (Bic), cigarettes, candy, and maybe some civilian legal smoke grenades if there's a big tragedy. If you need a helmet, just pic one that does the job. You don't need kevlar if it's just debris falling around you. You don't need night vision unless you're sneaking to attack somebody or avoiding people (totally different scenario.)

Keep your ID, the cards you need and some cash. Keep the cash seperate from the wallet. Consider getting an ultra thin bi-fold. You can also get great personal water filters online from amazon.

Remember to understand your purpose. Are you hiding and evading, hurting, or helping? The load outs are completely different based on those. I always vote for helping. If you're squared away, people WILL need you.

I almost forgot. Pack high calorie food items if you're moving around a lot and have your bladder filled with water. You're no good to anyone if you're dehydrated and burning your muscles away. Also, Microfibre towels. They fold really tiny and will rip off any gunk from yourself and other people. Also *cough* plenty of baby wipes.
Old 05-23-2017, 05:59 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,431 Times in 1,996 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkk View Post
It's a shame that prolonged power outages are just so much tougher in cold climates. A deep cycle battery and a 20 watt panel are great for some things, but unfortunately not freezing to death requires a boat load of power in comparison to non freezing climates. I'm convinced that a prepper in a freezing climate needs 10 times the effort than a prepper in moderate temps does.

And hell yes generators are taboo in an apartment, hell my friend OWNED his townhouse and the HOA forbade him from putting a window AC unit in his kitchen window!! What a joke!

lived in northern Minnesota for more than 20 years before i retired and moved to a tropical climate. i know exactly what you mean about power outages in winter as trees heavy with snow and ice bringing down power lines happened all too often. always had multiple backups for heating, cooking and keeping pipes from freezing.