Survivalist Forum banner

Homemade Antibiotics

80K views 124 replies 83 participants last post by  CrypticCRICKET 
#1 ·
It may be illegal but does anyone know how to grow and process penicillin?

#4 · (Edited)
#125 ·
I've recently had some amazing results with colloidal silver. Not human results but cat problem results.

Where I live the human population is transient and the economy is seasonal. This often leads to people abandoning pets when they leave town or loose their income. Cats often end up living on or around my property because we have water sources, thick scrub for shelter, and lots of opportunities to hunt the scrub and forested areas.
Anyway, I try to re-domesticate these animals and find them homes again. We don't spend any money on them other than food and occasional parasite meds. One tomcat is always going off for a couple of days at a time and getting in fights. One day he came back all torn up and weak. The next day his head had swelled up like a balloon. He had the worst infection I had ever seen. I mixed a tablespoon of 7 ppm colloidal silver into some canned cat food and he ate it down and then went off somewhere to rest. The next day his head looked a little better but still scary and oozing puss from his wounds. His leg was now all swollen up and he was favoring that leg. I mixed two tablespoons of C.S. into some canned food. He ate it and the next day his swelling was way down. The next several days we mixed in C.S. again. He fully recovered within a week. Happy and energetic and raring to go. That cat really was on deaths door with infection spreading through his body and C.S. kicked the infection's butt and got it under control in 3 heavy doses. He knows we had put something special in his food because he can taste the difference. He's been very affectionate and trusting since we fixed him up this last time (we've done it before). He's already blue/gray so if he turns blue it won't be a problem. LOL!

I make my own C.S. so it costs almost nothing to use it on myself and my animals.

#10 ·
I'd be careful as to what kind of bread you choose to get moldy. I believe that moldy rye bread causes ergot poisoning and can cause you to hallucinate amongst other things. They hypothesize that this was the cause of the Salem Witch Trials.

#113 ·
Ergot is a differnt kind of fungus/mold. Its actually growing on the grain heads as the rye is harvested, the black smut. During the witch trials era, there was poor harvests, so bakers added more ergot infected rye to stretch it out. Ergotine posioning is constriction of blood vessels, leading to gangrene, painful pins 'n needles/burning sensation. Medincally its good for stopping bleeding, especially for pregnancy/hemoraging (Germanic: mutercorn) and of course for psychidellic parties that date back to recorded Roman histories for the goddess Ceres <cereal, agriculture> (in moderation, of course, see poisoning symptoms for OD)

#12 ·
not sure why you were asking, but "for educational purposes only" - did you know you can buy alot of antibiotics without a prescription for your pets? most fish stores sell tetrocycline tablets. now a human might need quite a few of these, but if you know your dosages, it could be done.

of course, if it's just about making penicillin, this doesn't help :)

#105 ·
I've heard that it's chocked full of bacteria. I'm not sure what bacteria, though. I suppose they could all be benign, unless you have an infection in the urinary tract?

Hmmm.

http://www.wisegeek.com/why-do-they-say-that-you-should-pee-on-wounds.htm

http://rjpbcs.com/pdf/2010_1(3)/87.pdf

Human urine of rat wounds:

"The result of the present study show that human urine possesses good wound healing activity and it substantiates the traditional belief that human urine promotes healing of wounds. The work was carried out using different models of experimental wounds to evaluate the effect on breaking strength, epithelization and collagenation of wounds..."

#16 ·
I'd be careful in making it. I'd make sure to use USP grade materials and to do so in a safe manner. Personally, I'm allergic to it, so it doesn't do me any good. Vet grade stuff can work in a pinch, but I myself wouldn't try this. Reason is, it's not all up to USP grade. This can make a difference because humans are more prone to problems than animals. Ask a vet. I'm sure they'd agree. We are the top of the top, but we are also, believe it or not, more fragile that most ecosystems.

I'd also be careful with moldy foods. It may cause other problems, even if it works to cure something. Molds give off toxic substances that can harm, if not even kill you.

What I did was to take some Clindamycin and stuff in my pack. I got it because of a heart condition (which has never bothered me) I've had since I was a kid. Need it before surgery, but not anymore according to the medical community.

Other ideas is to try to eat natural foods that help stop such things, like garlic, etc. Check out this link too: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotichttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antibiotic

I myself, don't like prescription drugs, too many side effect. Never heard of one man made drug that doesn't have that quality. I'd try something else natural. Also note that in the SHTF, you may see a lot of antibiotic resistant bacteria. I'm not sure if it'd work. One thing I thought up that would be safe to try...Yogurt.

#17 ·
Well, the stuff on rye is egot and not mold. Powerful stuff ergot.
LSD would result from laboratory work with it.

The first antibiotics resulted from the observation that a dye caused
germs to die. After observing antibiotic substances being secreted by molds
on agar plate cultures of germs , a plea went out to collect samples from soil and other such places from around the world. Many antibiotics were discovered. Most far too toxic to humans to be of any real use.
Some of the more toxic are with us still as topicals- such as
polymixin in ointments. Terribly toxic to kidneys if used systemically.

Things like penicillin are made from starter cultures that are brewed
in large vats, but the isolation of the antibiotic substances requires a
sophisticated laboratory. Garlic juice, honey, bread mold and other raw sources antimicrobial substances have been used for 1000's of years,
but duplicating modern antibiotics as pills and injectables is far beyond
kitchen labs.

#69 ·
Soldiers in all wars before antibiotics would use honey on wounds. Honey is too acid for bacteria to live in it, so it did work as a wound dressing. There are components in onions and garlic that are antibacterial, it isn't just an old wives tale. Aloe vera is actually a relative of garlic and also have antiseptic properties. Pine tar is another one. You can grow echinacea (Purple cone flower). Goldenseal is another good antibacterial. Google other natural antibacterials...there are several. All of these are good first aid to prevent an infection...you may need something stronger to actually cure a bad infection.

#19 · (Edited)
Along those

Along those lines , let us review some numbers -- 160 degrees F is sufficient for most foods. Boiling for 3 minutes for contaminated water , and 121 C is required to sterilize instruments. Spores. Bacillus (as in antrax) and clostridium (as in gas gangrene) require this autoclaving to kill their spore forms-- notice that 121 is in celcius and would require a pressurized container to reach as we are using steam.

Incidently, it is because of spores that things like sterlized and wrapped
scalpels and such have expiration dates. One day beyond that and you
may introduce spores into your patient. Bacillius and clostridium are bad actors, boy.

Frequent handwashing with good friction for 20 seconds with soap for routine health. Antibactrial soaps do not kill viruses. That is why the friction to
remove is the key. Soap aiding in the physical removal. Hand sanitizers are
approved in most hospitals Handwashing with friction being the gold standard.

#20 · (Edited)
Sugar is a natural antibiotic, was used in the old days, do a web search you will find it a useful item to store.
will try to paste a link http://www.smtl.co.uk/WMPRC/DressingsTimes/vol3.2.txt
Edit. If I remember correctly you pack a wound with sugar and you know it needs to be cleaned out and repacked with new sugar when the old sugar turns to liquid syrup ( dry sugar stops bacteria , liquid sugar promotes it) if memory serves.

#22 ·
A layer of honey over a wound keeps bactiria from thriving. Honey was used Throughout Europe during the mideval years. Also, anyone interested in making a still...Alcohol is a great bactiria fighter. I also drink a lot of herbal teas for different things. But they are great for keeping your body flushed of bacteria. An herbal remedy book might be a good idea. Then learn to recognize the plants that grow naturally in your area. You'll learn faster from the people that use the plants in your area. Don't know what to tell you if you live in the city.

#23 ·
I also have read, if you maggots on an open wound that has started to putrify, they will eat the dead flesh, and leave a clean wound to heal. I have not had need to attempt this myself.
fresh urine is very good or cleaning a wound
If ever I'm sick or injured .... you three do NOT have my permission to treat me .......... ever.

Thank you,
doc
;)

#24 ·
Have seen a documentary where the British medical profession in recent times have used maggots to treat wounds.
The maggots were bred under sterile conditions and applied to the wound under medical dressings. The patients did not feel the maggots doing their job or any subsequent pain from them.

#25 ·
My understanding is that it was mold from an orange that they used to create penecillin.
But doesn't it make more sense to store some the type used in Vet supplies is the same thing just a little less pure and very cheap to store and rotate.
although I do think using mold topically as a dressing has some merit as well as using maggots to encourage wound cleansing.
By the way it requires no special license to buy animal grade medicines and can be purchased at any vet supply even on-line....

#26 ·
My understanding is that it was mold from an orange that they used to create penecillin.
A moldy cantaloupe in a supermarket in Peoria, Ill in 1943 had the best strain of P. notans.

I have a PDF on my harddrive about the synthesis process, but again, you need a background in laboratory processes and some chemical background to do it properly. Even if you could synthesize penicillin, you'd probably have to administer by injection since most versions naturally produced are unstable in stomach acids, and probably have to produce a lot since it is actively excreted by the kidneys.

Another thing to consider: most bacteria are resistant to it. The reason new antibiotics have to come on line are that bacteria develop resistance to it. Also, penicillin is toxic only to "susceptible" Gram-positive bacteria strains. If you have the "wrong" kind of infection, it's pretty much useless.

A piece of moldy bread will not produce penicillin unless the mold itself is stressed chemically - the inhibitory agents normally aren't present. The process is quite complex, some sugars inhibit the reaction, some don't. I'd suggest a degree in biochem and a full lab before trying it.

#27 ·
Oh for pete's sake!
*throws up hands in frustration*

Look, there are myriad excellent antibiotics and anti-bacterials as close as your garden...

Plant Rosemary, Thyme, Lavender.
Buy an excellent quality carrier oil. I suggest almond oil.
Gather plant material about two hours after sunrise. (long enough that the dew has mostly dried, but the plants are still *young in the day*)
Chop/mince plant material and put in pint canning jar, or two cups worth into quart canning jar.
Cover with almond oil.
Put lid on tight.
Invert (turn upside down) and set outside in sunlight.
Put outside every morning for two weeks, bring in at sundown.
Strain into dark jars and label.
All three are EXCELLENT topical treatments for wounds.

Mix the thyme oil with a bit of vodka and water (1 teaspoon thyme oil + 1/4 cup vodka + 1/4 cup distilled or bottled water = mouthwash suitable for treating gum infections, mouth sores or wounds or gingivitis.

1/4 cup of the lavender oil + 2 cups vinegar, shake well and spray as a disinfectant in a sick room.

Or mix 3 tablespoons of the lavender oil with 2 tablespoons of chamomile oil with 1 cup water and 1 cup alcohol and shake well. Spray on bed linens to help sleep and keep away bed mites/dust mites, etc. Also, same mix will help heal bed sores. Also helps calm shocky or hysterical individuals when sprayed on their bed linens or diffused in air.

Rosemary oil heals most wounds, even when *traditional* antibiotic ointments won't.

Strong teas made of rosemary can work on dysentery.
Tea made of a mix of rosemary and thyme can kick out most intestinal *bugs*.

If really ill, make a *bath bag*. Take the fresh herbs, crush them (about a 1/2 cup each of lavender, rosemary and thyme), place in fine linen or several layers of cheesecloth bag. Toss in tub or tie to faucet so water runs over it. Use water hot as you can stand.
Soak in tub for 30 minutes, sponging self with water. This will draw a LOT of toxins out of your body. When you get out of tub, you will feel *drained*, so don't push it! Do this before bed, so you can go to sleep as soon as possible.
(I use this whenever a nasty flu is going around and I think I have a touch of it...works every time! Everyone around me is dropping like flies, but I keep going and never get really sick)

#31 ·
Oh for pete's sake!
*throws up hands in frustration*
I quite agree, that for a topical injury, disinfection with the methods you describe work well. My wife is certified as an aromatherapist, and I've read the literature on its anti-bacterial, anti viral, anti fungal properties. It works. Plus, good old fashioned soap works wonders too.

However, plant oils don't work well against pneumonia, sepsis or a host of other internal infections. In that case, antibiotics are the logical tool for dealing with that kind of infection.

#28 ·
Remember to not ever give medicine to another person.

Some people are deathly allergic to penicillins and other related drugs. (me for one)

Also, anyone can become allergic to a drug at any time even if they have had it before. If you are going to take the trouble to stock up on antibiotics you might want to get some steroids and other medicines that would counteract a bad reaction.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.