Survivalist Forum banner

PET scan reliability?

2K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  rabiddog9 
#1 ·
I posted a few days ago on my son Detroits ongoing cancer battle that his latest pet scan showed that it has spread. After researching my sons condition back in june and the standard tests and treatments for it I also came across the reliability of pet scans for cancer over the past few days. It seems to me that many things can affect the outcome of these scans and seeing the results of my sons only devasted his hopes for beating it. I am considering a second opinion with Vanderbilt in Nashville. What are your thoughts on pet scan reliablity?

#3 ·
Anytime you get a life changing diagnosis or worsened condition a second opinion should always be a serious consideration. It is also your son's right to ask for one.

https://www.med.emory.edu/EMAC/curriculum/diagnosis/sensand.htm

The link above talks about sensitivity and specificity. Sensitivity=If a person has a disease, how often will the test detect the actual presence of disease. Specificity=if a person does not have a disease how often will the test be negative (or not give a false result.

http://www.cancerquest.org/pet-scan-by-cancer-type.html - This link discusses sensitivity and specificity for PET scans. They are not appropriate for all types of cancer and their usefulness is dependent upon the type of cancer present.

Lastly remember that your son is not a statistic. The odds may be stacked against your son but that does not mean he can’t beat them. I’m not advocating ignoring reality. I’m advocating you and he recognize the odds may be stacked against him but he isn’t dead yet. DON’T EVER GIVE UP! Life isn’t a math test. When you are backed into the corner and have to fight, the odds don’t matter.

#4 ·
Second opinions with regard to life threatening conditions should be almost automatic. That said, PET images the differences in metabolism of different tissues. Cancer areas will "light up" compared to surrounding tissues because of the increased metabolic activity which is the nature of cancer cells (constantly dividing, and growing). Other causes of increased metabolic activity will also stand out on a scan (which are quite sensitive by the way)
These other areas can be Joints (arthritis) or areas of active acute or chronic infection, or inflammation.
Radiologists will look at location of the "increased activity" as well as any symmetry, i.e. both shoulder joints, knees hips etc. If the activity is simply in soft tissue such as lung, liver, brain, or lymph nodes, and there are no indicators of concomitant infection or inflammation at these sites, then the likelihood of recurrent cancer there is high.
I hope things work out for you and your loved one, as has been said ....never give up and never give in.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.