Survivalist Forum banner

AR reliability Test

3K views 17 replies 10 participants last post by  MountainRecluse 
#1 ·
#5 ·
The rifle was not lubed per current military spec for a sandy or dusty environment.

When heavy amount lubricant as defined in the TM is used in these environments, failures are reduced by many fold.

Would it still fail in your test if lubed per current spec? I don't know. I would be curious to see, though. It would be interesting to see if your findings mirror that of the military regarding this.

#8 ·
This isn't the first time I'm done such things to my rifles, and it probably won't be the last.

Here's what I've learned about AR's over the last 20 years or so.

Lube them lightly. Don't let them get dry if you're in adverse environments. Keep in mind that lube acts like a magnet for dirt and debris. The more lube you have, the more debris can be trapped. Once it reaches that critical point, the rifle will cease to work. Sand is far harder on a rifle than dirt.

If you plan to store your AR (or other rifle) for long periods of time, don't use conventional oil based lubes (either synthetic or fossil). Use a light coating of lithium grease on the friction points. The reason being, lube weeps and evaporates. Within a few days of not cleaning the oil will have moved from the critical areas and accumulated elsewhere in the rifle. Lithium grease won't do this. Only use it sparingly in the high friction areas due to the reason given above, much like other lubes grease will trap and hold debris in the rifle. The less you have the less it can trap.

YMMV, however this is what I've learned through my own use of the weapon over the course of many years.

#14 ·
Thanks for the video. I am not an AR guy. I would be an AK guy, but we cannot have them here in Kanada. I run four VZ58's. Two in 5.56 and two in 7.62. I believe that they would fare in your test every bit as well as the AK's did. I have enjoyed your VZ58 vids. Would be nice to see you do a similar reliability test with one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.