Survivalist Forum banner

question about reliability 870/500/590

7K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  webrefugee 
#1 ·
Hi guys this is my first post!

Well anyway, I've been scrutinizing and scratching my head for a few months now, casually hmming and hawing over which pump action home defense shotgun to get.

I've held an 870 18.5" 7shot, and a 590 18.5" 6 shot, and they both feel great to me. I prefer the ergonomics of the Mossberg (the flush shell elevator, the safety and the slide release location) over the 870's. They both feel great in my hands though. (I haven't had a chance to shoot either or yet and wont until I buy one.)

Before I make up my mind, I have some questions for you, the kind wise folks here. What are the differences between the 500 and the 590? Is the 590 the heavier barrel model? (I know they both have 6 and 8/9 shot models now)

Also, which butt pad is more absorbent of the recoil? (or can you recommend an aftermarket butt pad *NOT* a Pistol grip styled Knoxx or whatever, just the pad)

I've heard from my two friends each who owns the opposites that they heard reliability issues with the others brand.

And thus my main question I'm posting here is: Can you all tell me any problems you've had with either gun?

See less See more
#13 ·
Gospel.

The Limbsaver is one of the best add ons you can get for your shotgun - if not the best.

Pre-fit is the way to go, but if you ever get a shotgun they haven't made a pre-fit for yet - the slip ons work just as well.

And don't fall for any con advertisement that says it is as good or better than the Limbsaver. None of them are.

Also, don't fall for the mercury recoil absorbers. They don't do crap except make your gun off balanced.

#4 ·
I had an 870 express turkey gun in 3" 12 gauge that I bought almost 20 years ago. Loved the shotgun it just felt like it fit me. I used the standard mag tube during turkey season, and had a three shot extention from choate for when it served as a home defense gun. I recently read a thread on here from someone complaining about nipples in the 870 mag tube, but because I regularly had to weld up holes and polish metal molds in my old job I had the tools to remove them with little problem. A dremmel would work just fine if you take your time.

#5 ·
What are the differences between the 500 and the 590? Is the 590 the heavier barrel model? (I know they both have 6 and 8/9 shot models now)
You can get a heavy barrel 590 but they all dont come that way. The biggest difference between the 500 and the 590 is the magazine access. The 590 has a cap that comes off the end letting you disassemble and clean the magazine. Where as to do this on the 500 you have to unscrew the magazine from the reciever. The other difference is that the 590 has a metal trigger group and the 500 trigger group is composite. Same with the safety. Otherwise its the same gun.

I've heard from my two friends each who owns the opposites that they heard reliability issues with the others brand.
Problems with either one are rare but most common on 500s is a broken safety button and 870s can get shells jammed if you short stroke em. Ive owned both and never had either of them issues.

If all ya want it for is home defense then I say get a 5 shot Maverick 88 with an 18in barrel. Basically another version of the 500. Then spend the money you save on ammo or somethin else.

#6 ·
Both have been reliable over the years but Remington is having some problems with non polished chambers causing some cartridges to stick in the chamber...If you short stroke any pump gun you can get jams...Mossbergs have always had very loose and noisy forearms.

Get a LimbSaver (preferred), Kick Eez, Pachmayr or Dead Mule recoil pads but both shotguns come with new, synthetic material recoil pads not the rubber ones of years past so I don't think you'll need them.

If you're scared of recoil then get a semi auto which dissipates a lot of the energy, redirects it, before it gets to the recoil pad and your shoulder.

#7 ·
Great info guys! I'm not terrified of the recoil, but the most recoil I've felt is from my sks which is really comfortable to shoot. I know 12ga can be high recoiling, so I'm just interested in absorbing some of it if I get into high brass double odd and slugs and pull quick fallow up shots.

Actually, theres another question, which is higher recoil? slugs or 00 /000 buck?

#8 ·
Neither--it depends on the powder levels in the husks--reduced load buck shot as an example.

1 oz of buck, bird or slug fired over 3½ drams of powder will recoil the same.

Usually slugs are loaded heavier to make it reach 100 to 125 yards and that it's normally hitting something heavier then a 6 ounce birds.

#10 ·
I have the 590A1 with Ghost Ring sights on it. I love this thing. I've put about 250 rounds through it, and I bought it new.

I have this recoil pad:
Amazon.com: Gel Filled Recoil Pads: Sports & Outdoors

I swap it between my 91/30 and my 590A1. It turns a 'kick' recoil into a 'push' recoil. I've put a box of 100 through the shotgun in one sitting and didn't even feel a thing when i was done. Same with my 91/30 - shot easily 50-60 rounds straight, and shoulder felt fine. I highly recommend this pad.

#11 ·
They're all about as reliable as each other. There is small parts breakage on all occasionally. The J-safety on the Remington stinks but is easily replaced.
The Mossy safety occasionally breaks, but is easily repaired if you have a mill/drill press.

If you try to take the Mossy apart wrong, you'll break the tabs off the trigger guard (assembly).

The Remington is almost impossible to jam from short stroking now that the "improvements" have been made. But the chambers on the 'express' models need a really good polishing.

The 590 is okay but the 590A1 is better. The difference? The aluminum trigger guard is less easily damaged.

We have/use both in the departments around here. There have been minor problems but what do you expect from cops. I would carry either one, the less-lethal scattergun I have is a Mossy. My "duty" gun is an Ithaca.

They all work.

#12 ·
For the past 2 years, I have used a 2008 870 20 gauge shotgun for trap shooting. 3000 rounds might be a conservative estimate. Not one jamb or hick-up. Every 4th 50-100 session, I remove the trigger group and clean and oil the action with motor oil. I clean the barrel lightly after each session and oil, then clean it good when cleaning the action.

Overall, the big names are trying to compete with other companies buying 3rd world firearms. Those turkish gun come to mind here. They have skimped to get more competitive prices. Also, every fall hunting season, they have big sales and rebates. Something has to pay for it.

MY choice would be to buy a old pre mid 80's shotgun. Even the early 90's might be OK. Their tooling was in better shape, but equipment and bits, powdered metal wasn't around, they typically used a touch better wood too.

#15 ·
hmm, Well I've decided on 1 of 2 different shotguns.

Choice #1: Mossberg 590 model 50660.
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/New/50660.jpg
I really like the look of it, the ergonomics of it and the feel of it in my hands. I know theres controversy over heat shields being mall ninjaesque, but my buddy from the army said they come in handy when you're blasting lots of melons and such. I notice that in Hickok45's Mossberg 590 video, he states he'd like one for his 590A1 due to the heat of the barrel.
(for those of you who don't know of Hickok45... shame on you. He's a damn fine American with a damn fine backyard range with a damn fine youtube channel. :D:)

Choice #2: Mossberg 500 Persuader model 50579.
http://www.mossberg.com/images/Mossberg_Guns/930/NEW/50577.jpg
This is my second choice if my budget isn't all its cracked up to be. (Saving up for an engagement ring, a ford ranger, and a few odds and ends regarding gear for coast guard auxiliary and long term survival gear,) and I can see myself getting this to save a bit of coin. Still looks like a great gun, my only worry is the plastic safety switch becoming damaged or broken, particularly in a SHTF/ bugout scenario. (I know both of these have plastic safety switches)

Which ever route I go, I'm planning on the fallowing mods:

-limbsaver butt pad
-TacStar side saddle (let me know if you think there are better ones out there for shells held brass down)
-some sort of light on the fore end. (please advise me of any particular brands/ models that stand up to the recoil of shotguns and the elements, but won't bankrupt me either... preferably American or Canadian made)
-Heat shield (only need to purchase this if I get the 500.)

By the way, I can't wink my left eye, only my right eye do to a minor bit of facial paralysis from a fall down some stairs... Thus I need to be able to hold my long guns on my left shoulder. I found that the safety and slide release worked really really well for me, which was of course a huge reason for me to choose the Mossberg platform.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.