Advanced EDC: Which tools are a Must-Have and Why - Page 2 - Survivalist Forum
Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Notices

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 02-25-2017, 04:28 PM
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

Thanked 1,317 Times in 289 Posts

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
As an aside, before my wife deployed back a few years back, I bought her a "tactical pen" that came packaged with the same knife you have there. I gave the knife to a friend of mine, and he used it to fight off a mugger who first sprayed him with pepper spray and then punched him in the face before demanding his wallet. Well, he managed to back up, get the knife out, and when the mugger kept coming, got in several good cuts before the guy ran. The cops found the perp later at a local hospital, trying to get treated for some mysterious "accidental" cuts to the hands and arms that sure looked an awful lot like knife wounds.

EDC, indeed.
You mean a tactical pen like the one in the middle of the left side of this mini pack?

Yeah, it came with that knife, which I keep on the right side of this pack now. They came as a set my wife ordered for herself, it was recommended from a self defense class she took by the instructor, I liked it so much she ordered me one too. I keep it as my flashlight for this pack but the fact that it could be used defensively is a bonus.

I told you, I like building lot of "packs", it's fun.

Old 02-25-2017, 04:57 PM
Hiker

Default Advanced EDC: Which tools are a Must-Have and Why

Quote:
Originally Posted by kl0an View Post
You can ask a hundred people this question and the answers would vary with each one. ..

Lol, if you ask me alone 5 times you may get 25 diff answers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to Hunter Don For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2017, 11:32 PM
Fenced In

Thanked 2,648 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoSound View Post
You mean a tactical pen like the one in the middle of the left side of this mini pack?
Yup, that's the one. Night Armor brand, if I remember right?

I don't know what ever happened to the pen, but I'm sure it's around here somewhere. Considering the restrictions military personnel have to abide by on base, it seemed like as good an option as anything.

Old 03-01-2017, 01:57 PM
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inazone View Post
Yup, that's the one. Night Armor brand, if I remember right?

I don't know what ever happened to the pen, but I'm sure it's around here somewhere. Considering the restrictions military personnel have to abide by on base, it seemed like as good an option as anything.
Yep, Night Armor, both wife and I have a set.

What are the restrictions on base?

I got out of the military about 13 years ago but I wasn't a firearm owner or collector of knives/swords at that time so I don't remember thinking too much about it.
Old 03-06-2017, 03:27 AM
Cool dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost75 View Post
You guys claim these are for Advanced Urban EDC, but there is a MAJOR omission in ALL kits pictured.

NO SILCOCK KEY! You fail.

http://www.backwoodsengineer.com/201...-water-in.html
The pliers on a multitool will do the job of a SILCOCK KEY! You fail.

😘
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Apok For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2017, 04:40 AM
Hiker

Hate to say anything marketed as first aid isn't true 1st aid in any stretch of the imagination and is typically screwed after 1 use..

As for lock picking kits they can lead to getting head shot off...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-26-2017, 11:21 AM
Survivor

Thanked 6,733 Times in 2,443 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
Hate to say anything marketed as first aid isn't true 1st aid in any stretch of the imagination and is typically screwed after 1 use..
This I agree on; however, there is only so much you can carry as part of any "EDC". I'm a big believer in a system of "levels". Most EDC first aid is likely a one-time use and likely requires evacuation. It would be prudent to have some additional supplies in other levels of equipment be that in your bag or vehicle.

I see first aid as basic OTC medications, smaller bandages...more of a boo-boo kit. A blow-out kit is technical in nature for critical injuries...any major wound(s) will eat through those supplies quickly. Having tourniquets or chest seals requires more training, something that must be considered and addressed before running around with the coolest CAT.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redlineshooter View Post
As for lock picking kits they can lead to getting head shot off...
Yes and no. It really depends on the situation and how you use them. Now, in some locations, just having them could be considered a misdemeanor, but the skill is quite handy if used intelligently. The ability to discreetly and without visible damage, conduct infiltration/exfiltration techniques for areas that are locked can be a great asset. I'm not advocating breaking and entering outside of emergency only purposes and not damaging property but I've seen firsthand how handy a skilled lock-picker can be. Use smartly, legally and with caution.

ROCK6
The Following User Says Thank You to ROCK6 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2017, 09:53 PM
FBHO

Thanked 1,768 Times in 652 Posts

A bic, a tiny 1"1/2 Gerber in my 5th pocket, and a Zebra M701.

If I get fancy (or need a pen) the F-301 Zebra goes with.
The folder fits in my tiny jeans pocket, the writing instruments in my T Shirt pocket, these can go everywhere, ( use caution with the folder)
What else do I Want? a tin of cope, and my G19 or LCP? maybe, depends.
I don't do a flashlight anymore, that thing lives in the truck. with the AR if I'm close to home or the Saiga if I'm on the road and theft is an issue.
Old 04-02-2017, 06:01 AM
Trapper

Thanked 2,401 Times in 583 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apok View Post
The pliers on a multitool will do the job of a SILCOCK KEY! You fail.

😘
Thats true, the needlenose pliers do a great job at that. I've been using my Leatherman Charge a lot these last few weeks. Man I love this MT.
The Following User Says Thank You to FerFAL For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 04:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,352 Times in 3,603 Posts

Wow, I look at some of these comments and cannot help thinking three things:

1) I envy you people living in a part of the world where a sidearm can be part of your EDC. Not being able to do that is my biggest regret about living in Canada.

2) I wonder how many of you are calling stuff you are leaving in your locker, vehicle, and desk "EDC". Some of these entries are damn near mini-BOBs and I cannot imagine what sort of job you would do where you could be carrying that around all day every day.

3) What is the percentage of your EDC you actually use in a day and what is the percentage that you think you will need when SHTF? For me, my EDC is about 60% stuff I use at least one day every week, 40% stuff I want with me in case SHTF.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post

1) I envy you people living in a part of the world where a sidearm can be part of your EDC. Not being able to do that is my biggest regret about living in Canada.

2) I wonder how many of you are calling stuff you are leaving in your locker, vehicle, and desk "EDC". Some of these entries are damn near mini-BOBs and I cannot imagine what sort of job you would do where you could be carrying that around all day every day.

3) What is the percentage of your EDC you actually use in a day and what is the percentage that you think you will need when SHTF? For me, my EDC is about 60% stuff I use at least one day every week, 40% stuff I want with me in case SHTF.

I'm actually relieved I live & work where I've no need for a sidearm as my EDC.

Vehicle EDC's varies considerably, the generic rule isn't applicable everywhere.

The percentage of my EDC depends on my work v lifestyle commitments.

The Following User Says Thank You to Londonbiker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-02-2017, 09:58 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,352 Times in 3,603 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonbiker View Post
I'm actually relieved I live & work where I've no need for a sidearm as my EDC.

Me too. On the other hand I have lived and worked in places where I would have preferred to carry if I could have.

It is not something I would do in every situation, but I certainly would like to have the option.

Vehicle EDC's varies considerably, the generic rule isn't applicable everywhere.

See, way I see it, EDC means Every Day Carry. If you are not carrying it, you are talking either GHB or BOB.

The percentage of my EDC depends on my work v lifestyle commitments.

Yeah, me too. I carry stuff for the job I do not carry in every day life, but there is still a relationship to be seen in most EDC between the stuff people are actually carrying because they have use for it on a daily or weekly basis... and carrying stuff in case of SHTF events.

On average, the stuff I carry as EDC, I try to keep below 40% of it being stuff I probably won't need until a true, significant, SHTF event.

I think some people want to carry a BOB on their person and call it their EDC. I honestly cannot imagine carrying the amounts of stuff some people do and be carrying it all day, every day, while still doing a job and getting around unencumbered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Writer's Block For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2017, 09:53 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,705 Times in 1,183 Posts

AS many time as I look thru these threads.....seems the "one-more thing-itis" catches a lot of people.
Too much stuff will be left home.

I want to walking into Walmart or the Hospital, church...and not carry a bag.

My EDC is my pocket stuff......

Belt pouch:

Since this was taken...A few changes....In my quest to minimise.

Wallet has been down-sized w/ bare minimum....contents and anti magnetic strip. protected.
Clip knife has been dropped.
Thinking about dropping the BIC... as the belt pouch has a Mini BIC and mini ferro rod, Mini Multi tools w/flashlight.
Brass match holder with meds has been replaced by metal mini aspirin tin....2 Tums 2 aspirins 2 HBP Meds.

Wallet, meds, and phone.....can be carried in shirt pocket.
Quest continues....
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ol For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 02:12 PM
♩ ♪ ♫ ♬

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer's Block View Post

Well, apart from my EDC items listed above, which I now carry in a bag, I also carry a get home bag every day in my car.

I have a commute that traverses country, farmland, forest, the Mississippi river, and a small urban ghetto, that's why I roll pretty heavily geared.
The Following User Says Thank You to NoSound For This Useful Post:
Old 04-04-2017, 02:42 PM
One with everything...

Thanked 2,302 Times in 1,007 Posts

BASIC EDC kit.

Basic first aid kit
Way to make and carry water
Shelter to break the wind / keep you dry - insulative layer.
Way to heat water/ food (make fire) and (if needed) fuel for same.
Container to heat stuff in.
Food source. Knife and spoon/fork/spork of some kind.
Cordage.
Something to carry it all in.

Additions -
Shelter cover - tarp, tent, etc.
Insulation for sleeping (liteweight bag)
change of sox/underwear
Meds & personal hygiene stuff.
Tube of Shoe Goo (yeah, the stick to everything never come off gooey repair glue stuff...)

There's more, but those are the basics and basic plusses I can think of right off the top of my head.

I left a firearm off as, while most of us WILL have one, this is a personal choice item. In MOST EDC situations you won't need to go out guns-a-blazin', and doing so may be adversarial. Not saying DON'T have one, better to have it and not need it... but likely you won't need it.
What have I forgotten?

Oh yeah - multiples of the above - one in each vehicle, one at work, and a couple around the property.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:06 PM
Survivor

Thanked 8,388 Times in 2,786 Posts

EDC means CARRY, folks, not located nearby, in a desk, or in a bag somewhere close.

For me EDC is phone, chapstick, pocketknife, keys with LED light and mini multitool, wallet, and a pocket pistol. If it's not in my pockets or on my belt, it's NOT EDC.

So...at work, I have things stashed, like first aid stuff, or tools. In my vehicle...I have specific things, first aid, tools, blankets, raincoat and/or umbrella, cordage and straps, etc.

If I "go somewhere" I might strap on a real multi tool, with a mini Mag light in the same carrier, and I might carry more gun.

Everything else is GHB or BOB, in my vehicle or in my house, not "carried".
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ajole For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2017, 03:51 PM

EDC means "carried on my person" to me.
Some kind of knife (usually a pocket knife or multitool)
Some kind of gun (usually and LCP, LC9, or Glock 23)
A lighter (mini bic)
Cellphone (iphone 7)
Money (usually 100-200)
Identification (D.L., CCP)
The Following User Says Thank You to mesha For This Useful Post: