Survivalist Forum banner

Oxygen absorbers?

2K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  Shank Mares Wife 
#1 ·
Hey ladies, I am new to the prepping, although my husband is not, I am just jumping "on board" with him you could say. Can you tell me where you guys get your oxygen absorbers from and what they should be used in? I am trying to research as I can, but thought you more experienced gals might be able to help out? Thank you!!

#2 ·
There are lots of places to buy oxygen absorbers, though probably all of them will be online (unless you have a local LDS storehouse that you can access and which will sell to you). I have bought mine from Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com), LDS, and several other places. You use them in containers (and bags - mylar and plastic) to help eliminate oxygen for long(er) term storage. Don't use them in containers of sugar or salt - or those will go rock hard. There is a lot of info about their use here on this site - mostly via the General Preparedness Discussion forum (try the search function) - and a lot of videos online too to show you how to pack supplies properly in 5 gallon buckets, preferably also inside mylar bags.

#3 ·
I get my O2 absorbers and mylar bags from USA Emergency Supply. They carry the thicker mylar bags and pack them to prevent pin prick holes during shipping. Even if you wind up not buying from them, they have excellent charts about how much of a particular type food fits in what size bag, what O2 absorber strength to use etc.

https://www.usaemergencysupply.com/

There are tons of threads about mylar and O2 absorbers on the site. Mels thinkingitover created a super well organized index thread listing them by specific questions and food types. Storing in Mylar Index Thread

One thing I learned the first time I ordered bags is that I don't like using the larger ones. They're way too large for storing in the buckets I use. I have used some of them for the big plastic totes though.

#7 ·
I get free 4 gallon icing buckets from Walmart bakery. They're rectangular instead of round which is better for packing food into and better for stacking in the closet. Any mouse proof container will do, though. If the food is sealed in mylar, the outer container doesn't have to be food grade. I use plastic under bed storage bins sealed well with duct tape so mice can't get in ...they can chew through mylar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.