Survivalist Forum banner

Oxygen Absorbers

3K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  IamZeke 
#1 ·
Good day all, have a quick question and hope someone can help.

I just brought 20 x 20kg mylar bags and 20 x 2000cc Oxy absorbers back to South Africa with me from the Uk. Realizing that actually I need some smaller bags and oxy abs got me thinking.

Obviously I know you can cut down the mylar bags but do any of you know the best way to divide up a 2000cc Oxy Ab into say 4 smaller ones?

Whats the best way to do it?
What should I put the stuff in?

Was thinking cheese cloth or something but cant find anything for doing that on the net?

Any input would be appreciated,
Thanks.

#2 ·
You really cannot subdivide O2 packs. They need to be used almost immediately and have special wrapping that helps the iron take O2 at a rate that is safe. Elemental iron loose can generate a whole lot of heat.

#3 ·
sounds like your 20kg mylar bags are equal to our USA 5-6 gallon (20 inches X 30 inches) sized bags .... the 2000cc 02 absorber is the correct size for that mylar bag ....

as already indicated you can't sub divide - cut - or alter the 02 absorber pack ....

you can pack your individual food items together into one large mylar bag .... separate the items using paper .... air must be able to flow between layers .... paper must be clean - unprinted - no wax or coating ....

if you are not already aware ... the bag should be used inside a container for food purposes .... the closure lid should lock securely and air tite if at all possible ....

#6 ·
Agree w/ all the above as to the O2 absorbers.

If you can get some more (using a too-large one doesn't hurt anything, FWIW), you *can* cut down the large bags and make small ones.

It's no different than sealing the mouth of the large bags.

Reactions: MTShawn
#7 ·
Ok Guys, Thank you all for your help.
Hopefully I'll come across a distributor for them soon in SA...
Between the high import cost and the little production there is here it really sucks sometimes!

Just to add, Illini Warrior you stated that the filled bags should be placed in food grade buckets. Which I did know, but they are quite hard to come across here in SA.
I thought the mylar bag it's self was air tight and the bucket was just for added protection? Is their any particular reason they must be put in buckets and that they must be "Food grade" since the food is protected by the mylar?

#8 ·
#9 ·
The filled mylar bags are air tight. If they weren't they would be useless in food storage for their purpose. People usually use food grade buckets because that way if you ever need to repurpose the bucket, you know it is safe to come in contact with your food. The mylar bags, however, protect the food. The bucket (or bin) protects the mylar bag.

When the larger mylar bags are filled (the size you have qualifies as a larger bag), handling them to move them around can cause holes to get poked in the bags. They need some sort of supporting structure around them. Five gallon buckets, because of their size and moveability, are usually the preferred choice. I have some in rectangular plastic boxes with lids that seal well.

#10 ·
Ah so as I thought, I will keep an eye for food grade buckets once I can work out the different "Food grade" plastic signs here in SA. They seem different to what I saw in the UK. Thank you very much Mel.

Zeke, I have found a SA company that sells them as want it all is stupidly expensive!
Off subject a bit I was looking at pressure canners on there and its about half the price for me to order direct from Amazon.com (USA) I guess there's just not enough preppers to warrant the demand for good products here at a fair price.

Once again, thank you all for your input.

#14 ·
Enigma and Soutie, the center of SA Mormon activities is in Johannesburg with the temple there. They also have missions in Cape Town and Durban. Try to connect in person there and ask if they can help you with food storage. You might even get lucky and find out they have canning there.

You don't have to join their church, but since they do a lot of missionary work there you might have to listen to a bit more propaganda than you might get back in the US.

If they do have canning operations there then offer sweat payment for their help. Such as you getting to dry pack canned food there for yourself in exchange for doing it for others there too. Mormons appreciate that kind of stuff.

Unlike the typical mylar and O2 packs, the Mormons use #10 gallon cans and O2 packs for their dry goods. A little more heavier but certainly fine for long term storage. No need to hunt for buckets when the food is already in big cans.

Here is a website that connects you to their main temple there so you don't have to hunt around for contact info: http://www.ldschurchtemples.com/johannesburg/

See if you can get supplies and if they do canning there. That info alone sounds like it would be much appreciated in the SA section of our forum.

Good Luck! :)

#16 ·
HAHA Thank you very much for the info, I did google them yesterday but at the moment it's a bit to far from where I am plus since we're in an apartment, the Mrs will kill me if I fill our spare room with more stuff! Unfortunately she's got me on a "Slow go" when it comes to prepping till after I have set up my company and we move to a house later in the year!

Not to mention I dont really feel like being harassed there, SA is a weird place and religion runs rife. Anyways, The pressure canners off Amazon.com are half the price of any here, about $300 including delivery to SA. I'll just wait and get one when I can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.