Survivalist Forum banner

Oxygen absorbers

3K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  be_prepared57 
#1 ·
There have been many times when oxygen absorbers were mentioned and someone came back to say 'hand warmers.' I haven't invested in a couple hundred oxygen absorbers, as I've been advised to do, but happened to pick up 6 handwarmers for 50 cents in a rummage sale recently. But then reading the ingredients got me thinking, since these are iron powder and vermiculite.

1. Do I need to remove it from the packaging and let it sit inside the bucket next to another bag or box of pasta? Should I slip it inside a bag and leave the top open and then let it sit on top of pasta or bags of beans?

2. If it gets activated, can it still be used as an oxygen absorber? Should I activate the new ones first before using it as an OA?

Thanks. I've asked this other places, but it seems the ones who told me I should use it are not around these days.

#2 ·
Hand warmers won't reduce the O2 down to the levels that a proper O2 absorber will. They're designed to work in a higher O2 atmosphere. They even had to design special boot warmers because of having to operate at lower O2 levels enclosed in boots. There were tests done back in the 90s comparing their effectiveness to O2 absorbers and they came up short. I would never trust them for food storage.
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=99140&highlight=oxygen+absorber+hand+warmer

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=215193&highlight=oxygen+absorber+hand+warmer

#3 ·
let me ask you this .... do you shop around and find the absolute cheapest insurance for your car or home? .... finding a totally unreliable company and little hope of putting thru a claim successfully ....

your food storage is the most important insurance you'll ever buy .... it's life and death

why would you use a BS method of LTS food storage when the proper and guaranteed method is just pennies more?

#4 ·
O2 absorbers come in two basic types. Those that contain their own moisture and those that don't.

The kind that doesn't contain it's own moisture is used in things like fruit or meat snacks where the food contains enough moisture to activate the absorbers. The kind we use with dried survival foods has it's own moisture, because the food doesn't have enough.

It there's one thing humans are, it's moist. We give off moisture all the time, even in cold weather. So hand warmers don't contain their own because we give off plenty. And there are even two formulas used in the warmers. The glove and toe warmers are designed to work in a low O2 atmosphere. Neither are designed to reduce O2 levels as low as possible. They're designed to produce as much warmth as possible.

It's very easy to make mistakes with food storage without even realizing it. I can't count the number of things I've seen that "seem like they should work" but don't.

To me, it's just wiser to stick with proven products rather than taking chances. Especially since there is so little difference in cost. It's like stepping over a dime to pick up a penny. And food storage is just to critical to take chances with, especially when lab tested and proven methods are cost effective.

And you don't just put food in a bucket with an O2 absorber. Plastic is not an O2 barrier. That's why we use mylar bags. I suggest spending some time browsing this site. There is a lot of really good info on food storage and how to do it properly. There is a large thread specifically about mylar and O2 absorbers in the Disaster Preparedness forum. It's usually on the first page or two.

#6 ·
Thanks everyone. I don't have a sealer or mylar bags, but I remember mentioning something about needing to by O2 absorbers before and got shot down by several when they kept harping on the hand warmers. So now I'll shop for the absorbers, have had several give me some links and I'll work on that this weekend. Still, $0.50 for 6 of them and it was a church rummage sale, I don't feel bad about the investment. We get seriously cold days for about a week or so down here, and it's usually humid when we do get it. My son went hunting and camping on one of those times and had a tough time with the cold hands middle of the night.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.