Survivalist Forum banner
6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Sam Reeves 
#1 ·
Does anybody know if you can reuse the oxygen absorber packets found in some foods?

#2 ·
I was told that they need to be heated to 250 degrees fahrenheit for 3 hours, but you have to remove the contents inside before you do this. The ones I have are 10 times the size of those found in foods and that is the directions they give me for reuse. For that size I recommend that you put them inside of a dehydrator for several hours without removing them from the package and they should be good to go.

#3 ·
I wouldn't risk it especially if you plan to survive off this food in 2-3 years or sooner. The O2's aren't that expensive in comparison to trying to dehydrate them. You will never really be sure if you got them back to the point that they would even be good to reuse.

Reactions: rednecknoise
#5 ·
Absorbers

Oxygen absorbers can not be reused. they contain iron which oxidizes (rust) to lock up the oxygen in your food packages. If you cut open a used oxygen absorber you can see the red iron oxide (rust).

The post that refers to heating with an oven is referring to a disicant ( removes moisture), some of those can be reused by removing the absorbed moisture via heating.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.