Survivalist Forum banner

Best way to store a kerosene heater?

9K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  MI.oldguy 
#1 ·
I had to break out the kerosene heater this winter when we lost power for 3 days. Its still sitting on my back porch full. Whats the best way to store a kerosene heater? its mainly just a back up emergency heat source that doesn't get used much. To be honest, its kind of been neglected, i was actually surprised how clean burning it was when we needed it. Thanks

#2 ·
After use, for medium to long term storage drain the fuel tank
(otherwise tank content will slowly evaporate though the wick & cause gunk)
Cover it with a couple garbage bags & store it in a clean dry space.
Simple as that.

Reactions: dealfinder500
#5 ·
This is what I did last year:

I let the heater burn out (outside), so that it was empty. Once it was cooled, I let it "dry" inside overnight, then put it in a trash bag and put it in the basement.

The heater worked just fine when I got it out this year, so I did the same just a few days ago.

If you don't use your heater regularly, but at least somewhat often, when you put it away for the year is also a good time to replace the wick.

#7 ·
i'd advise against the plastic bags. Tn. can be a very humid place. the bags will trap the moisture and rust your heater. i suggest putting a breathable cover over it and putting it in a place that will keep it out of the weather. and has been said, draining the tank would be best.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.