Survivalist Forum banner

Scooter Type Vehicle

11K views 96 replies 30 participants last post by  Boondox 
#1 ·
Has anyone incorporated a scooter type vehicle in their BO plans? Would they typically be EMP proof or could you temp. unhook any electronic connections which would make it OK?

If you have incorporated one or a small off road bike, have you considered a trailer or other accessories?

#3 ·
Check out the Honda CT110 and CT 90 "Postal Bikes". Last sold in the USA in 1986,they are dead nuts reliable, top speed of about 50mph, haul lots of weight, and sip gas. The knobby tires and frame design are great for trails. Ebay usually has one or two for sale...

The best retro-minibike out there (IMHO) is the Bonham Tote Gote. They have a multi-stage torque convertorhooked to a 5 to 8hpBriggs and Stratton, and were used by Hunters in the 60's to haul deer and gear out and into the woods. They have an adult sized frame, and simply can't be stopped. Top speed is only 25mph or so, but they will haul two hunters at once, and drag a deer at the same time, even up steep hills. I owned one that I restored ten years ago, and never should have sold it. Never gonna be street legal, but a heck of a cheap trail bike. Do Google searches for "Tote Gote", some people misspell saying Goat, so you can find results either way. Their are sites and forums for them, too.

For modern stuff, I think the Yamaha TW200 is hard to beat. (More of a dirt bike than a scooter, for sure) Street legal, 60-65mph, fat tire, and a very long production run. Lots of web support, tech support, parts, ideas out there.

Always been a big big fan of the 50cc Honda Ruckus, too.

#4 ·
I'll check in on this cause I actually own a 79 CT90..last year for those models stateside..mine sees regular use on my property and is my camper bumper bike so I enjoy tooling around country roads and trails when we are out for a long weekend..which is about once every 6 weeks.
since I'm married the CT is not really a last ditch bug out option... I'd actually prefer at least 250cc dual purpose bike, but my wife doesn't like motorcycles at all, won't get on one, doesn't want me on one, but she likes my "cute" little CT.

the CT uses a 6 volt battery to run the street legalizing lights and the battery also acts a type of capacitor?..somebody correct me on this...bottom line, it's a kickstart and it can run without a battery if need be...since it's old points n carb it's more likely to tolerate a severe EMP.
my 215lb butt makes it work hard but it does deliver 45mph and gets me a solid 90mpg
it has a dual select tranny 4 speeds in 2 modes...street mode gets you that higher top end, while trailer mode means you've got a surprising amount of climbing gear..it can get about as aggressive as my 55 yr old body wants to get out there on trail riding.
I have actually taken the CT with me on some jobs where I was concerned that terror oppty at a high profile event (I work large concerts, etc)..where president, etc was involved.. I know that my trucks will be gridlocked in the crowd but if I needed to put some distance from the venue quickly, I could make tracks with the CT and my BOB fits nicely on the rear rack.
is it a "survival bike?" I don't know...it's too slow for escape and evade, but it certainly beats walking or pedaling to a point.
Since it was in part a compromise with the wife, and a fun camper bike I have no regrets owning it and as with all resources, you figure out where it works and where it doesn't.

#6 ·
yep.. a 250cc dual is really the size I'd prefer..my wife , however is dead set against motorcycles..she worked ER for a while when we first were married and she had several bad ones come in...it's the only thing (shy of another woman) that's she has ever asked me not to do..so imagine my joy when she agreed to the lil CT90...to her eyes it's "cute" .and she knows it's not enough bike for me to want to ride it in traffic..very rarely have i found myself in town on that bike on a main drag...it's licensed and so am I but really, just country 2 lanes winding through the scenery is where it thrives, and a nice hike up a field trail...

it's just not what I consider an escape/evade level bike for many situations...but then there are many scenarios I have thought about where the lil rig would come in handy so I'm glad to have it.

it's just collectable enough that i've hesitated taking the orginal motor out and putting in a higher hp lifan...but I am temtped..that way I'd get more go, but she wouldn't see it.

#8 ·
Electric scooters...I have considered two uses for them. One, as an emergency vehicle, in case my primary rig breaks down and I need to get somewhere for parts, help, etc. Lightweight would be key here, so a minimalistic frame, relatively high speed (for an escooter, 40 mph) and 50 miles of range on roads (dirt or paved). 60v w/ 30 amp battery would get you close. I have seen people put motors on folding bikes that would fit the bill. The second would be as a means of transporting goods on backroads (moving goods to a BOL) or to another part of a large piece of property, to create a cache, etc. 48v (25 mph or so) but with a long range and enough torque to move a couple hundred pounds + rider, would set it up so that it could be safely used under the cover of night. It would be a little pricey, but if extended distances are required, solar panels could be carried - charge the battery during the day, and drive by night. I have not crunched the numbers yet for this, but I am looking for ideas for an escape plan on and through BLM and other public lands, i.e. to BO from a BOL, bugging out, part 2.

#9 ·
Electric scooters...I have considered two uses for them.
Something like this old BMW from 2013?

or

or

or

or

or

English word for scooter doesn't really describe item in question anymore.
So...what type of vehicle are you actually thinking about? :D

I came across this a while ago:

Technically that is an electric moped, at least here it would require registration/license plate and insurance to ride.If I remember right, on the description it says thumb throttle meaning it doesn't require pedaling at all (but range suffers).

#10 ·
Kind of. Picked up a mini bike a while back. It's a Coleman rebranded Hisun IIRC, with a 200 cc 6.5 HP engine. Fat tires, headlight, and front suspension. Will eventually put a torque converter on it for real hill climbing torque, and what I figure will be ample top speed for that style machine.

#12 ·

Looks like this (pulled from internet) It's the BT200X, actually 196 cc, not 200 as I said before. I cut the throttle stop, and semi bypassed the governor operation. The CVT transmission is the "big" mod I have planned. But will likely add a long pipe, and change the carb also. Maybe will change out the front lamp for LED, add a battery if needed to smooth out light output, and maybe add a couple tail lights.

#14 ·

This is a review on an interesting ebike. Since it's origin is in China (what isn't really) it really is just a generic rebranded clone... I came across an eu warehouse variant with 1.5KW motor (also 500w and 1000w). Pretty much all chinese web stores sell some kind of version of that frame.

There are few reviews but nothing in english so far, rather positive and I'm interested in advertised high load capacity. Also the fact that it doesn't need pedaling to run (not exactly road legal here) interests me because I have bad knees and sometimes they just decide it isn't time to work well - should that happen with an ebike like that I could always scoot home. And it folds in half.

I think their original inspiration was the Montague folding paratrooper bike.

#15 ·

This is a review on an interesting ebike. Since it's origin is in China (what isn't really) it really is just a generic rebranded clone... I came across an eu warehouse variant with 1.5KW motor (also 500w and 1000w). Pretty much all chinese web stores sell some kind of version of that frame.

There are few reviews but nothing in english so far, rather positive and I'm interested in advertised high load capacity. Also the fact that it doesn't need pedaling to run (not exactly road legal here) interests me because I have bad knees and sometimes they just decide it isn't time to work well - should that happen with an ebike like that I could always scoot home. And it folds in half.

I think their original inspiration was the Montague folding paratrooper bike.
View attachment 374570
Check the hinge point where it folds. All of these look good when youbuy them but if the hinge is poorly designed, it will be a piece of trash in a year.

#16 ·
IF YOU are looking at SHTF/EOTW/OH CRAP times
and want a small go anywhere motorized runner..

ROKON
they even have a version that you can float across a stream, river, ditch, whatever, it floats...

FORGOT to add... they are 2 WHEEL DRIVE, both front and rear tire are drive wheels

Reactions: jeff_k
#19 ·
THEY have been building them for over 60 years. It is a well proven system and they are definitely tough little suckers.

I know several folks who have them and there isn't anywhere they can't go.

#20 ·
The ROKON has been around since the mid-60s. The front drive was changed early on and has been quite reliable since. I really one one, though I would like to get a used model where the engine is bad. I want to convert to a Hatz 10hp Diesel engine.

Just my opinion.

#22 ·
The 1B series can be adapted to run on bio-diesel fuels. And the 50 pounds or so is about correct for weight addition.

Worth it to me.

That is for going from 7hp to almost 10hp, which will give even higher tow weights, which is already high.

Just my opinion.

#23 · (Edited)
This subject comes up over and over again. The bottom line is this, there is nothing easier or more capable than a small and light dirt bike. Minibikes, Rokon's, TW-200's, CT90's and scooters all have severe limitations that a real dirt bike does not.

First, true dirt bikes are very light, many hover around 212-220 pounds. They can be carried on a bumper carrier if wanted. Or even disassembled and put in a trunk. Second, the suspension and configuration of modern dirt bikes allow COMFORTABLE travel over any terrain, including staircases, downed telephone poles/trees, streams and standing water, even around traffic jams by going off the side of the road at speed. I know all this because I've used dirt bikes during post-hurricane ops. They can do the job.

Second, dirt bikes sit high, are very comfortable and maneuverable and are easier to ride than any other 2 wheeler.

There is a reason "hood-rats" ride stolen dirt bikes in the city. They can't be caught easily. They can go anywhere, over curbs, barricades, parks, even cars! Don't hobble yourself by purchasing something incapable.

Me in 1981:

Look at what the cheapest and smallest Yamaha TTr125 can do!

Look at what skilled riders can do! These machines are incredible tools for the survivalist.

#24 ·
I know when I need to use a motorcycle/scooter....for reasons brought on by a "SHTF" event.....the first thing I want/need from my ride is how high performance it will be. Being able to travel at ..high speeds.....jumping as I high as I can......pull a wheelie as far as I can...are all high on my list. Being quiet/economical on gas/reliable ....is just not what will suffice!!

I am of the belief that those who propose high performance....are only one high speed dismount...to being a cripple....with a very low chance of survival.....

#27 ·
"Honda has just reintroduced that bike for 2021 as the CT125."

Honda has attempted to reintroduce the CT-110....and finding one is a challenge. For reasons only Honda knows....the CT-125 does not have the high/low transmission that endeared the CT90/110 series. I had one in the 80s....and it would go places that high performance motorcycles could not go. Those that have bought the newer CT have mixed emotions....most are satisfied...but many are waiting...to see if Honda steps up and releases the CT125...with the H/L tranny....myself included. The CT125 with a H/L trans....would fit the bill as a SHTF bike....much more than a hot rod extreme performance anything...

#28 · (Edited)
You might look at the CT125 Hunter Cub version. They did not reintroduce the dual range transmition, they simply installed a larger rear sproket to improve low speed performance at the expense of high speed.

I like the idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.