Survivalist Forum banner

**Official** Alone Season 3 Threads merged

58K views 333 replies 94 participants last post by  wehr 
#1 ·
First id like to say special thanks to everyone hear on the form for all that was and has been shared hear I've learned so much. Thank you all !!!

Im back and excited to finally be able to say where iv been. PATAGONIA !!! I was in Patagonia taking part in season 3 of Alone. And you will be able to watch it on the history channel on December 8 at 9pm est. And i think the Making the cut episode will be on at 8Pm est. just before episode 1. And yes i brought my slingshot as one of my 10 items. I cant say to much outside of it was awesome. Patagonia is amazing and everyone that took part were serious bad asses. If you want to know more about the people that went you cane see our 10 items list and bio's history's web.

Also hear is where i'll be on social media where i'll be sharing the exclusives from the show as the History Channel makes them available. Sorry id share the trailer natively hear if i could. If someone knows how put it in the comments.

Facebook //www.facebook.com/ffoowwlleerr/

You can also find me on Twitter @ZacharyJFowler

And on Instagram @ffoowwlleerr_

And since i'm back so is my youtube channel Makery and Mischief. New camera and editing software and all that i learned out there in Patagonia filming my self alone for the History channel has come together to make Makery and Mischief bigger and better then ever before. So check out my latest video "Man shoots down plain with slingshot" And "Coffee Sniper"

Attachments

See less See more
#11 ·
This is my bio and 10 items as it apers on the History's websight
Zachary Fowler

Fowler, as he?s known, was born in Vermont, where he grew up enjoying outdoor adventures with his parents. After high school, he studied boat building in Maine and discovered such a knack for it, that he began building boats as a career. At age 21, he permanently moved to coastal Maine and bought two and a half acres of rugged, wooded land. During this time, he spent his days making boats and every free moment playing in the wilderness. After he met his wife, Jami, the two started a self-sufficient lifestyle, living in a hand-built yurt. Along with their daughters, Abigail and Sparrow, they continue to pursue the dream of self-sufficiency.

Here are the ten items Fowler selected to bring on his survival journey to Patagonia:

Shovel: Spetznas (Russian Special Forces) model w/ sharpened edge
Sleeping Bag: -20°
Ax: felling ax
Pot: 2 quarts w/ handle
Ferro Rod
Slingshot: custom-made, 2 elastic bands, 30 pieces of ammo
Fishing Line & Hooks: 25 hooks; 20 lb test & 50 lb test
Paracord
Saw: crosscut saw
Multitool: pliers, guthook, screwdriver, blade, spoon gouge, file, scissors, sewing awl

#21 ·
This is my bio and 10 items as it apers on the History's websight
Zachary Fowler

Fowler, as he?s known, was born in Vermont, where he grew up enjoying outdoor adventures with his parents. After high school, he studied boat building in Maine and discovered such a knack for it, that he began building boats as a career. At age 21, he permanently moved to coastal Maine and bought two and a half acres of rugged, wooded land. During this time, he spent his days making boats and every free moment playing in the wilderness. After he met his wife, Jami, the two started a self-sufficient lifestyle, living in a hand-built yurt. Along with their daughters, Abigail and Sparrow, they continue to pursue the dream of self-sufficiency.

,l
I also have a daughter named Sparrow.

#12 ·
We were way down there right on the border of Chile I could probably actually on a clear day see it from there. Ill share more later when it airs cant say till then what i may or may not have made sorry. But it was awsome. Butiful location and the show part is totaly legit just as advertised on TV. You film it all and you're alone.

#23 ·
Alaska 99... My wife tells me the kilchers on that show braving alaska just named there girl Sparrow as well. :)

Alone starts December 8th i think at 8pm est. with the making the cut episode then at 9 will be episode one. If you go to the history channel you can watch it there. Once i figure it out myself ill share the link.

#27 ·
I've talked to two others from the previous shows. Most of the selections have been pretty decent but you always get one or two that really make you question the selection process.

I personally just don't think many realize the psychological impact of being "alone" in a very foreign environment and all the bushcraft and survival skills just can't overcome the levity of that mental challenge. Still, it's easy to judge someone else's failings sitting in the secure, warm comfort of their own home...even for the one guy or gal that "taps out" in the first 24-48 hours, I still give them respect for attempting the challenge.

Environment and skills aside, I don't think many outside the show realize how much effort and time is spent on filming this experience. One contestant from a previous show said he literally spent a good 20-30% of their day filming, maintaining the equipment, picking up and changing out batteries, etc. That is extremely valuable time wasted for the viewing benefits of the audience which doesn't even account for the large amount of footage the producers edit down to squeeze an episode in for an hour a week.

Maybe it's my "first love" for Les Stroud and his original Survivorman series, but the Alone series, even with licensing restrictions, a more-or-less static environment and a few rules of engagement, is the most realistic of shows. Yes, even reality is edited for our viewing, but the limited gear and psychological challenges of limited human contact and being along add the most "realism" of these types of reality shows. Sure, there are legal safety nets, but knowing a serious injury ends your challenge is still significant so you can't take unnecessary risks...very similar to a real-world survival situation.

Overall, I'm glad the show continues to rate well enough and get a third season. I'm sure as the show airs there will be several questions for you Zach,

ROCK6

#28 ·
People seem to have been fascinated by the Fitzroy Range since Yves Choinard started climbing there decades ago. I have a friend that is a Ph D geologist, but now takes photographs for a living. I saw his slide show about Patagonia, and it makes it obvious that it is a harsh land and not forgiving. It takes a lot of hiking to get to the climbing routes. There is a lot of blowing snow, and much of it is treeless grasslands. The wind often blows over 100 mph. My friend chose the least windy time of year and had some 100 mph days when the only way he could take photographs was lying down.

It is a long way to go for a camping trip. My brother has been in Uruguay since Oct 25 and will be headed for Argentina. I will be interested to hear of his adventures when he returns in mid December. He has been everywhere, and has the best stories of anyone around.

#29 ·
I have a friend that is a Ph D geologist, but now takes photographs for a living. I saw his slide show about Patagonia, and it makes it obvious that it is a harsh land and not forgiving.
This is my understanding; the closest I ever got was northern Peru:D:

I'm curious and if Zachary could provide us the typical high/low temps and how the wind and precipitation was, that would be interesting. Additionally, once you're able to share more details without violating the "keep your pie-hole shut" clause, I would also be interested in your clothing selection...this environment would be unforgiving with the wrong choices.

ROCK6

#32 ·
Patagonia high low temp was very similar to my home hear in Maine. And for the most part it was like a typical New England winter tempter wise.

ill do a review on my cloths and gear after the show on my Youtube channel. We were allowed just enough cloths to survive. I bought really good gear for most of my stuff. Northface pants and long johns ,3 pars of darn tuff sox (best sox in the world made in Vermont with a lifetime warenty) , Camo military jacket that I removed the liner from and sowed in my favorite vest from LLbean so I could unzip it from the jacket when I got there, 2 LLbean fleeces and wool sweeter, 2 knit caps my wife made me orange , LLbean camo whisper quiet hunting pants gortex, World war 2 trigger finger mittens, 1 pair of leather work gloves, 2 pairs or fancy underwear that would dry out in minutes after a washing (spent more then a girl would at Vitoria secrets on a thong) , Boggs hiking boots, a big pare of sorrel exposition winter boots, Carhart rain jacket and pants And one bamboo fiber t-shirt.

#39 ·
Good words by rock 6. My brother is currently in Argentina after a month in Uruguay. He is in the Lake District near Baraloche. It is a long way from Patagonia. The countries in South America are kind of a mirror reflection of NA. The coast of Peru is like southern Calif, the coast of southern Chile is like the coast of OR and WA and Patagonia is kind of like BC with more grasslands.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.