Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > >
Articles Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Manmade and Natural Disasters Drought, Diseases, Earthquakes, Riots, Wars

Advertise Here
Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wisconsin Winter Meet & Greet: January 28, 2017 AGreyMan Wisconsin 9 Yesterday 01:41 PM
2017 Midwest Seed Swaps & Seed Libraries PondEdge Farming, Gardening & Homesteading 6 01-19-2017 05:07 PM
My thoughts on INCH kits Jerry D Young Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 46 01-18-2017 08:00 PM
GHB: The Winter Package merlinfire Disaster Preparedness General Discussion 15 12-20-2016 03:37 PM
DIY Ice Claws/Spikes Antikyth DIY - Do It Yourself 4 10-04-2016 09:55 AM

Old 01-15-2017, 10:50 AM

Advertise Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Soldier View Post
If its NG or LP forced air its 110v 15 amp.
Both steam and forced hot water are mostly 120 Volt as well. being retired out of Electrical work my experience is that more than half of all the heating plants I provided a circuit for were 120 Volt.

Just in case anyone wants to get ahead of this may I suggest the purchase of a flanged inlet and a Single pole double throw center off switch. The installation takes less than an hour once you obtain the parts. A flanged inlet is plug; or male; which is fixed in place.

It will except the unmodified receptacle; or female; end of an extension cord. The Single Pole, Double Throw, Center Off Switch

Installs in place of your heating plants disconnecting switch. One pole of the switch goes to the dark terminal of the flanged inlet. The other pole goes to the energized conductor; or hot; of your furnace's electrical supply circuit. If you shop around the parts will be less than $50.00. The center off feature of the switch makes it OK to use as the disconnecting means for the heating plant, avoids the work of making space for a second switch, and eliminates any chance of hot switching between the two supplies which can damage your heating plants solid state controls. Some heating plant controls will not tolerate the wave form distortion of the output of some generators. The first thing to try if the heating plant doesn't like the generator is the use of a double pole switch so as to switch both the energized and Grounded Current Carrying conductors; hot & Neutral; between the the two sources. If that does not do the trick then you will have to have a true sine wave inverter generator or inverter as the source of supply. There is plenty of good guidance on the forum for using Inverters as a source of AC power so I won't go over that again here since I do not work for the Department of Redundancy Department.

Fifty Dollars ($50.00) and one hours work buys you a lot of convenience. Doing it ahead of time when your not already cold and stressed makes the chances of serious trouble significantly less. FWIW YMMV

--
Tommy
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tatkinsh For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 09:19 PM
Hunter

Thanked 4,186 Times in 1,357 Posts

We had to go out to check some animals a couple miles away. There was a tenth inch of soft ice on the 4wd. The roads were good going there. Icier coming home. We slide around a little. Nothing too serious, but it's getting colder and still raining. The thermometer says 33 but I bet it's colder away from the house.

I bought supplies and I've been installing a new floor. Might as well get the stuff done inside. We moved all the cars away from the trees and off the streets.
The Following User Says Thank You to InOmaha For This Useful Post:
Old 01-15-2017, 10:09 PM

Best money we spent was on a generator when our youngest was a baby. Following year had it hard wired. We lose power we just turn off the main, turn on the genny and we are good to go. Heat, water (well water so if we lost power, we lost water), cook and even watch tv. Neighbors teased uswhen we bought it. But we got the last laugh when the next year we lost per for 10 days. None of them had heat or water and we were over here watching movies and baking. But we are not mean, we did invite them over. LOL
Old 01-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Survivor

Thanked 7,763 Times in 3,339 Posts

I live on that island to the left of Seattle and up on the OPs map.

It got dang cold here...week straight of below freezing every night and many days. Howling wind on several days. Was quite a thing as usually we get fairly mild winters here.
Old 01-17-2017, 04:41 AM

I got up half an hour ago to my front porch and steps looking like a frozen waterfall. Truck has well over the one tenth inch of ice they were calling for and it's still raining. Gonna be a fun ride into work this morning definatly have to leave early.
The Following User Says Thank You to Potawami II For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2017, 09:18 AM
Hunter

Thanked 4,186 Times in 1,357 Posts

It was a dud here as ice storms go. I worked from home because the main part of it was coming Sunday night into Monday morning. There was 1/2 inch ice to the Northwest and about the same Southwest of us. We had enough rain to get 1/2 to 3/4 inch of ice had it been cold enough, but the temperature got up to 33-34 F so it melted most of what we had Sunday.

Some of the side roads and sidewalks were slick, so the major impacts were low speed fender benders here and there and people falling.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:22 AM

I watched a few people slide through intersections this morning. I don't think I want to be driving today during rush hour. If it warms up a bit it will turn to a slushy, wet mess. That will be a little better than pure ice. It will freeze again tonight to start all over tomorrow.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JLeeS1983 For This Useful Post: