Survivalist Forum banner

Hanging Salad Garden

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Jojo 
#1 ·
I am a gardening newbie, I container garden in the city, but my first garden last year did great! Now I want to expand and the only way to go is up (hanging). I would like advice on the best way to go about planting salad greens in hanging baskets. Do I need to look for specific varieties that would work better for hanging? I found this http://rainyside.com/container/MossLettuceBasket.html Are these good instructions?

#3 ·
There is also some thing called A Wall Of Plants. It is a series of planting pockets. Expensive ones can be seen covering walls in commercial buildings. They are made from planting fabrics. Would be a good way to make $ on the side if you could sew these up.

I saw one built out of a wooden pallet. Were panting fabrick is attached to the back side of a pallet and the bottom of the pallet.

Then dirt is pushed into every crack and crevese of the pallet. Then it is planted and lifted carefully into place.

But shallow rooted plants work best in these. There are many different types of mini plants that could possilbly work well in this planter.

Plus there is nothing wrong with experimenting with your planting.

I have looked into this and am trying to figure out a way to use it on our homestead. Probably up against south facing buildings.

#6 ·
I have seen many of these vertical gardens and they are beautiful! Alas, I am a city dweller and have to abide by apt rules, I can't nail anything to an outside wall. By the end of last summer, I had a feeling the size of my container garden might have been making management nervous. I plan to push the rules as far as possible without breaking them. Just in case - my container garden has its own BOL ;)

#5 ·
You can line one of those wire hanging baskets with burlap before you fill it with soil .. hang it lower than neck high. Leafy greens go in the top as 'cut and come again' salad mix (I usually prefer mesculin mix) and you can cut the sides of the burlap and insert green onions, chives, etc there to be cut the same way. As long as you don't give it a complete crew cut you should be able to enjoy 'baby greens' for months with several of them hanging.

Cheers :thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.