Survivalist Forum banner

How do you use up excess garden veggies? Creamy cucumber tomato salad recipe here

3K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  nobama12 
#1 ·
I'm getting plenty of tomatoes and cucumbers so I made a light summer salad for Sunday dinner at grandma's house. I started putting things together and it turned out to be a big hit. I remade it this morning and measured exactly. It was just as delicious again so I thought I would share. Do you have any favorite recipes to use up excess produce?

Creamy cucumber and tomato salad

2 large tomatoes
2 large cucumbers
1/4 cup light mayo
1/4 cup light sour cream
1/8 cup light ranch
1/2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 tsp sugar

Chunk up cucumbers/tomatoes into a bowl. Salt to taste. In another container mix other ingredients. pour over veggies and mix. Cover and refrigerate for a couple hours.

I would add chunked onions if I was the only one eating it, and skip the light if you don't need to eat that way. It would only make it even better.

See less See more
#2 ·
Canning,dehydrating,blanching and freezing. The only fruits or veggies we ever buy are some mushrooms,avacados,lemons and oranges. Other then that we get everything out of our garden and greenhouse for the whole year. And theres quite a bit of extra we do and we share abunch for gifts ect. peopel who arent use to good produce cant beleive the flavor differnce.
Ahh and we do make wine out of some of the stuff also. Rubarbb,runnerbean.nettles,carrot,potato,blueberry ,blackberry,elderberry, ect ect. And some get thrown into the animals for feed. My dogs cant get enought tomatos or lettuce.

#4 ·
I found that excess squash, zuchinni, and (naturally) tomatoes all make great pizza toppings. I make pizza from scratch (except the sauce, I've been using canned sauce) every wednesday night for the kids. Slice the veggies thin and they end up soft. They don't add a strong flavor so the kids will actually eat them.

The kids and I can eat cucumbers about as fast as I've been growing them so I never have any leftover. I've started buying them at the store since my garden died in the heat over the last two months.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.