Survivalist Forum banner

Natures Salad

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Marlin 45 carbine 
#1 ·
Went out into the yard today and discovered "Minors lettace" coming up. It is time for natures salad.

They are tiny right now, and don't look to be getting very big this year. Probably too much rain.

So I carefully picked some (always leave some for reseeding in several areas) along with beet tops, spinach, new fennel sprigs, lemmon balm, cabbage leaves, mint, wild onions, chard, kale and had a great salad.

Dandylions have not appeard yet. It is important to allow a large variety of leafy plants to go to seed for early spring greens. Deep greens are an important part of a daily diet.

I plan on tending several green gardens in the meadow. Hope to get a good gurrilla garden system going.

Have any of you had success with gurrilla gardening? What was your system and how is it coming along?

#5 ·
they may be indeginous to the South. grow in freshly-turned corfields down here. mostly by the streams.
take a lot of rinsing off usually but very good. 'creases' they are called.
I like 'em sauteed quickly in oil or bacon grease with sliced onion.
sort of a wild spinach.
yes dock grows down here too. Jeru 'chokes do well but must be replanted, a bug in the soil gets into the tubers that try to re-propagate. they give me gas so bad I can only eat them if parboiled and drained then sliced up in casserolle and such.

#4 ·
You probably have dock there of some kind...curly or yellow dock. They are a better spinach than spinach, and can also be used raw in salads. It's my favorite plant.
You may have salad burnet which has a mild taste of cucumbers.
Red sorrel or wood sorrel for a lemony taste.
Those would all be good in a salad too! Also cattail shoots or new growth of stems ("Cossack asparagus") might be ready to pull now to add to a salad. Just grab a stalk and pull.

I propagate whatever I can of the wild plants I like so they are more abundant in the meadows. I've planted a few others in the meadow like Jerusalem artichokes and am waiting to see if they will come up.

I discovered miner's lettuce one year growing in the shade under a clump of trees but they disappeared and I haven't been able to find them again anywhere else either. Probably it gets too hot and dry for them to thrive here but I keep looking for them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.