Survivalist Forum banner

Ideas for outdoor sink??

28K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  suthincomfort 
#1 ·
My wife's uncle gave us a couple sinks from his remodel and I was thinking about maybe building an outdoor fish cleaning set up. This won't be sheltered from the weather and stainless isn't even in the ball park of my budget. Seems like treated wood wouldn't be something to have food on. So, any other ideas that fit a cheap budget and safe to prepare food on?

#6 ·
I wouldnt worry much about the stainless part. You can pick up countertop laminate and some glue it to a piece of pressure treated ply wood. I would go with 3/4, but with a little extra reinforcement in the framing, 1/2 would probably work too.

The poly top solar1 mentioned would be even better, but I cant think of a single place close to me that I could get one of those, you may run into the same issue. The laminate may be easier to get if you have a cabinet maker near you.

#7 ·
I'm embarassed to post this because its so dirty, however it is stainless steel and it does wash up easy.

It has on the back a place for a regular garden hose to hook too for water, and to drain it, It has another garden hose connection on the drain. I bought this at Lowes a few years ago. I use it to wash vegttables out of the garden or whatever I don't want to take in the house to wash.
Its the best moveable outdoor sink you can have, I had one that was permanent in where it sat and got rid of it for this one.

#9 ·
Great, but how much did it cost?
The OP was GIVEN an old sink and wants to use it. For him to go out and buy stainless and have it cut/fitted will cost quite a bit.
Granted, in the perfect world I would also say go with stainless, you cant beat it in most cases. But I surely wouldnt be out there spending $100+ to build a sink and counter top thats going to stay in my yard.

By the way, I love that idea of a mobile sink. Gonna have to look around and see what I can find.

#11 ·
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Sorry just getting back online. Had a fintastic day with the family and didn't grab an internet connection all day. Nighthunter, that is very nice looking sink base, I'm sure your wife loves it. Nomadjanet, I started to think about a concrete top earlier today. I was worried about the weight as I would like to be able to move it, but then I thought I could build a frame on wheels. Rockyriver, I really like your sink, don't know why you said you were embarrassed, I would be proud to have that in my yard.

#14 ·
Just curious, how would a thick coat of varnish stand up outdoors?

Nearly every bar around here has some kind of thick urethane finish, my uncle used to build clocks out of cypress trees he cut down and he would put some kind of thick urethane on them. Just never seen anything outdoors done that way.

For a nice cleanable surface that would be great, BUT no idea how it holds up to the environment.

#15 ·
nighthunter, did he pull the vanities too? we dropped an old sink into a vanity base and painted/polyurethaned the heck out of it. It won't last forever but has held up very well for a few years now. Slick 75, polyurethane meant for outdoors use or varnish like the stuff they use on boats (spar) would be fine. careful preparation is the key.

#16 ·
You can build a real strong frame out of 2 inch PVC pipe, it will hold up a good long time outdoors and it is water proof. For a work surface lay down some exterior grade plywood and cover with some flashing or metal roofing. Just make sure you roll the edges so as not to leave any sharp edges. Where you set the sink into the work surface use some RTV so water will not run down under the lip and cause the wood to swell. F.G.

#17 ·
Go to your local scrap metal dealer. Often, restaurants and fast food places throw everything away and start with new when they remodel.
I have built lots of equipment from stainless that I bought by the pound at a scrap dealer.
It is usually very heavy and sturdy.
You would have a hard time believing what people throw away. You might find exactly what you can use for a few dollars.
If you don't find what you are looking for, go back in a couple of weeks.

#19 ·
hog pan makes an excellent cleaning basin. i used to take the hog pan nail it down to a large stump with lead headed roofing nails and then when using put tin foil over the opening in the pan this allowed a strdy basin and the foil allowed cleanliness and safety from the lead in the nails. reason for the lead headed nails they sealed the holes and the bench or stump would'nt get wet and rot allowing the basin to be more sturdy . works great for cleaning fish working with game thats been cut up and allows safer handleing as far as a place to set knives and tools used thereof when a second pan is nearby .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.