Survivalist Forum banner

Question about beans stored with o2 remover

2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  240Geezer 
#1 ·
I have just read "Storing rice beans and oats in mylar bags for shtf" and I do have a question.
I have seen claims that longer term storage of beans with 02 removers in sealed mylar bags caused the beans to become very hard and difficult to prepare.
Is this true?
It would seem to me that being able to store beans and rice would afford a good reasonably good basic diet and so the bean storage is quite important. Is any one bean better than another type of bean for storage?

#5 ·
I think I found the answers to my questions at http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/dry-beans
When packaged in #10 cans or Mylar-type bags, with the oxygen removed, they have a shelf life of 10 or more years. another study indicated that pinto beans did experience a slight loss of quality during storage.... samples ...... stored up to 30 years had greater than 80% acceptance by a consumer taste panel for emergency food use.
....Shelf life. Information of vitamin loss in dried beans during prolonged storage ....not be found. Best guess from if like other long term stored foods ...vitamin degradation occurs after 2-3 years .... most vitamins are no longer present after approximately 5 years. Storage at warm temperatures will accelerate vitamin degradation. ....nutritional components (proteins, carbohydrates, minerals, etc) should remain unchanged during long term storage.
Use from storage. ....rehydration. Typically, 3 cups of water is needed for every 1 cup of dried beans. Allow beans to soak overnight and then rinse them in clean water. ...... As dried beans age the seeds become harder. This results in longer rehydration and cooking times. At some point, the seeds will no longer rehydrate and .... must be ground as bean flour.........
I guess I need a bean grinder and have to find out how to use bean flour with rice. It is probably better to probably recycle or change stored beans out every 3 yrs and in any case some source of vitamins needs to be obtained to supplement stored dried foods.

#6 ·
I think I found the answers to my questions at http://extension.usu.edu/foodstorage/htm/dry-beans

I guess I need a bean grinder and have to find out how to use bean flour with rice. It is probably better to probably recycle or change stored beans out every 3 yrs and in any case some source of vitamins needs to be obtained to supplement stored dried foods.
Having read a number of food storage threads by people much smart than myself.

It seems pinto beans get hard, no one knows why.

Other beans seem to remain steady. Some members here have used them after decades. Properly stored (oxygen absorbs & mylar) no light or oxygen is getting to them, they should no lose significant nutritional value. Additionally, one can always sprout them for a vitamin boost.

#11 ·
That was my take on it also. Proteins, carbohydrates, and minerals are not going anywhere. Proteins and carbohydrates can alter a little with time, but other than the beans getting harder beans can still provide nutrition relative to required amino acids.

I am not sure about lipid requirements. Lard and many other fats do not apparently store well.

#12 ·
Just as an aside. I had grown some beans ( can't remember what variety) several years ago. We picked a bunch and used them fresh.
After that the rest were left in the vine and dried naturally. I shelled the them and tossed em in a mason jar. Then forgot about them till last week when I found them. Wifey planted em and they're growing well.
Just sayin

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.