Survivalist Forum banner

Comet 67p

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  Gavbar 
#1 ·
So the EU space agency have a spacecraft following this comet, and the UK wants to increase its share of space exploration in the next 13 years to the cost of £40bn. at the expense of us poor bastards going without because of their austerity measures. Whyarent they accountable for this?

The artilce was on science 2.0, about the rosetta lander "PHILLAE"

#3 ·
Well lets see.. Just had the notification about the carers allowance.. took since April for them to "make a determination" and they now say that I should receive £1165.65p for the arrears but they won't be paying me a penny as my wife received employment and support allowance. What they forgot was that the ESA was paid at the fantastic rate of £4.55p per week. They changed the rules!

The government have stopped Disabled Living Allowance and replaced it by Personal Independence Payment, P.I.P.. However, under DLA there were three rates lower middle and higher, under PIP there are only two, and so far the majority of those on the middle rate of DLA now find that they are on the lower rate,. What a surprise! Many in the Disabled Support Group have had their income cut from £552 per month down to £304 a 45% cut in what is often their only source of income. The appeals process takes months and so far over 70% of our group who have appealed have had their appeals upheld.

So yes, one of the most vulnerable groups in society have "gone without" for over 9 months and many others now face an impossible future trying to live on £304 a month. Are we "scroungers"? Hell no, I have paid for over 40 years for these supposed "benefits" but when I attempt to get what I have paid for they have not only moved the goal posts but changed the shape of the dam ball!

#4 ·
The reasons they say they can do it, is because it comes under a different budget. All the benefits come under the Pension lot while this space race probably comes out of the military budget. It probably means that there will be a lot less personnel on the ground in a fight. Excuse the pun!

Oh by the way I am on ESA and wasn't allowed to claim Carers Allowance even though my father is getting Attendance Allowance. ATOS has been tossed though so it will be interesting to see if things change with the new company.

#6 ·
I have gone without a holiday, with minimal medical care without a pay rise scrapibg by from week to week supporting a wife who is recovering from cancer treatment, as well as a growing family. Whilst the . Gvt pusses away money that could be spent developing the infrastructure of the country to support all the immigrants both legal and othrrwise that we have to support.
And I havent claimed a penny either.

Thanks

#7 ·
Well Waylander, I have paid my way and now I want a small bit of what I have paid for!!

Purdy, Sorry to hear that you got caught in the ESA trap as well. I still can't figure out why my wifes benefit stops me getting a different benefit that I am doing the work for. Minimum requirement of 35 hours a week for £61.35, so much for the minimum wage.. I heard ATOS has been tossed, thank goodness, but I still had a letter from them on the 21st August re my claim for PIP saying they are still doing the assessments????

#9 ·
Yeah - that's one of the things some of us prep for, although in my case I didn't know it specifically at the time. Due to both my and my wife's illnesses we're actually having to use my preps now, for real. I ate boiled wheat grains from one of my long-term buckets for breakfast and lunch today, cooked overnight in a vacuum flask. My wife had something nicer, but she's more ill and needs looking after.

Between the two of us we have paid about 50 decades of full-time tax, only to now find the rules have changed and we can barely claim enough to live on. Not enough to live on really, given the real cost of being seriously ill.

I've made the 'mistake' of not claiming before when between jobs etc. Until just a few years ago I didn't even know how to. Now I just feel truly stupid for that, seeing what the government is spending my money on. It mostly isn't on me or on anything really useful to me.

I've never been of the mindset to ask for help, with anything. It's not a case of 'not paying our way' or wanting someone to carry us, it's a case of not getting back what we have paid for for most of our lives... while watching many around us having better lives on their benefits (because they fit the 'right' categories) than my wife and I managed working full time!

The government's criteria and priorities are outrageously wrong, towards the benefits system, the NHS and everything else. They don't care, nobody does until it's themselves in the situation. That, I firmly believe having seen it too many times, is one of the biggest problems with the English. Of course, that's the way we've been conditioned by successive governments that in reality are little different to the monarchs of centuries past, trying to grab whatever wealth and power they can for themselves and using us to do it.

#10 ·
Oh, and as to ATOS, apparently they are still in the seat until someone else takes over. That will likely be Capita or G4S, both of whom I have some experience with and neither of whom will likely be any better than ATOS.

Especially since everyone actually working at ATOS (like the lying, nasty, dishonest **** that I had to see) will keep their jobs - that's the rule!

#11 ·
foxy.. Make sure that you apply to have ANY interview recorded BEFORE you attend, ATOS and Capita both hate having to record but it is your right.

Capita have a very nasty habit of cancelling appointments on the day and not telling you till you arrive or their favorite trick is to arrange an interview and notify you after the date, thus claiming that you failed to attend, so always keep the envelope to show the postmark! By doing this they can massage their official figures. In some ways Capita are worse than ATOS. ATOS are just inefficient and lying toerags but Capita set out to deliberately deceive even making home appointments and just not turning up.

#12 ·
Thanks for that. I learned the recording thing after my first experience with them. Funnily enough when I did insist that the 'examinations' be recorded, two successive ones were cancelled (after my arrival there) due to 'booking errors'.

My experience with Capita was commercial, but from what I saw of their tactics as they took over our 'patch' your comments don't surprise me. Capita (and their government supporters) were pretty much directly responsible for my employers at the time going into receivership due to loss of business, and me being made redundant.

I'll certainly be careful with whoever takes over... they'll be singing to the same (unpublished) song sheet and raking in the bonus.

#13 ·
Just to add:

UK’s £600 million Syrian aid ‘largest ever’ response to humanitarian crisis

In the UK’s biggest ever response to a humanitarian crisis, the government has committed over £600 million to help those affected by the conflict in Syria – the second highest total after the US.

Aid is being allocated to help a million refugees in Syria, Lebanon, Jordan, Turkey and Iraq. £299 million has been given to charitable organizations providing humanitarian assistance inside Syria, while £292 million has been provided to Jordan, Lebanon, Turkey, Iraq and Egypt to cope with the growing number of refugees.

A further £1.8 million has been allocated for regional technical assistance, while £9 million is currently being finalised.

#14 ·
With sympathy and support for all members here, I'm thinking that railing at the Sciences is not the way to go. Science is one of the few worthwhile endeavours we have left.
It would be more suitable to direct criticism towards other departments, no?

#15 ·
The science isn't a problem the issue is that while we are sending money abroad rather than looking after our own and people are working on 7 year old incomes without a pay rise, whilst the .gvt give themselves pay rises above inflation all the while folks are at risk of redundancy and an uncertain future, is it prudent to be spending billions on a space programme when other countries are doing the same.

#16 ·
The science isn't a problem the issue is that while we are sending money abroad rather than looking after our own and people are working on 7 year old incomes without a pay rise, whilst the .gvt give themselves pay rises above inflation all the while folks are at risk of redundancy and an uncertain future, is it prudent to be spending billions on a space programme when other countries are doing the same.
In my ideal world, Paradox, the pressing issues of waste and greed would be addressed and there would be no need to divert money from for example the ESA. I'm pretty sure corruption and systemized theft and wastage is rife throughout government, and that these are the sources of what ails the common citizen, not money directed to Science. The solution is to punish and retrieve wealth from the thieves, not further restrict the sciences.

#18 ·
Space research has always been a "prestige" project with limited direct impact or value to normal everyday people. We can now see some of the impact with sat nav, comms, google earth, surveillance systems and so forth but these are peripherals and not essentials.

There is still a degree of the space race especially with the reemergence of Russia and Vlad the Putin but 40billion???? That is crazy!! My son was expected to use old clansman radio equipment in Afghanistan, dated from the 1980's, issued inadequate and incomplete body armor, etc etc (of course he blagged the proper stuff from the Americans as he is not stupid)

As to penalising the fat cat thieves.. fat chance!! Look at the sweetheart tax deals the government has done with all the big corporations, letting them off paying millions to billions in tax and allowing stupid loopholes in the tax laws. The way the big banks have run rings round the taxpayers, using our own money!! The whole idea of "too big to fail" is obscene, immoral and offensive. The corruption, criminal behaviour etc has been ignored and even condoned. How many managing directors, CEOs, directors etc have been held criminally accountable for the actions of their companies, just think of PPI, endowment , insurance misselling and how many trials and convictions? Fines? imprisonment?
Companies overcharge the NHS and get their contracts renewed!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.