Survivalist Forum banner

Navy Beans

4K views 32 replies 27 participants last post by  Slclarry 
#1 ·
My husband was thinking we should invest in some navy beans.

I have never used navy beans before.

What do they taste like?
Does anyone have any recipes that you use them in?

#2 ·
To me they are milder flavor of almost all the bean family. I use them in soups mostly. Specially a Navy Bean Soup. Usual soup start, carrots, celery, onion, etc. Though I will sometimes add in some greens. Like a collard, or other dark green leaf veg.

#5 ·
You're obviously not from New England, are you?

Here's what we do with them.

2 lbs Navy beans, sorted
1 lb lean salt pork
1 lb molasses (don't use blackstrap)
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground dry mustard
2 tablespoons whole cloves ( put these in either a Teaball, or make a cheesecloth sachet for them)
1 whole medium yellow onion, pealed.

Dump the beans into an oven proof pot and cover with water score the meat side of the salt pork block into 1/2 inch by 1 inch section down to, but not through the skin, add the rest of the ingredients above, making sure that the Salt pork and the onion are submerged, and stir in the molasses, cover the pot, put them in the oven and bake at 350 for 4-6 hours, checking occaisionally that the beans are still covered with water, and adding water as needed to ensure that they are submerged. for the final 15-20 minutes of bake time, remove the lid, fish out the salt pork and place it on top of the beans, and stick the pot back in the oven to ensure the salt pork is slightly crispy, and before serving, cut the salt pork theough the score lines, and moosh the onion op, and stir it all back into the beans.

Generally this is called Boston baked beans throughout the US, but up here, it's just baked beans, beacause it's traditional throughout Northern New England.

What you have above is a fairly straightforwards recipe for sweet baked beans.

#7 ·
Does anyone have an idea as to why they are getting so hard to find? Since we moved, I've gone to 4 different stores to get some. Finally found them at Wally World 25 miles away; none of the surrounding grocery stores carry them anymore. Went to 5 or 6 different seed websites before I found one offering them as seed, and those were expensive.

My mother always bought them rather than Great Northern White Beans. IDK why, but because that's what I grew up with, they're my go-to white bean. It seems to me the skin isn't as obvious. The Ball Blue Book recipe for Pork 'N Beans using navy beans is excellent. Much better than any canned brand we've gotten in the last few years.

#13 ·
I just did a couple of searches on this, seems these are popular in various parts of the world. Did a check on Amazon and came across this site, http://www.webstaurantstore.com . A bit more than $1 a pound for one 20 pound bag under consumables section, can check out with credit card of choice, Amazon or PayPal. They carry some other interesting products too.

If you can't find local, there are other options.

I haven't used this company or site before, but have gotten used to ordering bulk foods off of the Internet when I was home bound for several months with back surgery. Not having to deal with getting items into carts, the car and into the house did make life easier.

#28 ·
Yup. I use them for baked beans. I make a huge pot of baked beans and home can what's left in the crock pot after.

#15 ·
I use the packages of Goya beans and the bags have recipies on them. I usually do the entire 1lb bag to something like 16 cups of water. I get that going and add things like carrots, celery, potatoes, etc to it as the beans soften up. I've used leftover ham (and the bone...), salt pork, sausage in with it. The usual spices, oregano, basil, bay leaf and pepper as well. The soup is always way better the next day.

#17 ·
My husband said this was the best Bean Soup I ever made.
Use 1 lb Navy Beans or Northern Beans.soak over night.
8 cups water or substitute chicken broth or a little of each which I used.
1/2 tsp salt
1 smoked ham hock or ham bone
1 cup shredded carrots
1/2 stalk celery chopped
1 cup chopped onion
1 tsp dry mustard powder
1 bay leaf ( I only use 1/2 its strong)
1/2 tsp ground pepper
1 potato diced added last 20 minutes.

Cook all in 6 qt pot. till beans soft and tender remove hock and just put meat back in
I also mash beans a little before adding potatoes.
I have made a double recipe and pressure canned this soup.

#29 ·
I gotta jump in on this one. Navy beans, a canned ham or Spam,.. Top the whole thing with a generous sprinkling of Tabasco or Trappey's pepper juice.

I had to jump in because that's the menu for Sunday. Tomorrow we're trying a new all-canned-food recipe I got from the Popeye's Spinach site but that's a different thread.

#32 ·
Ham and onions go into a pan and get browned/caramelized. Then add a cup of water or broth to deglaze and let simmer for just a minute or two. Then add two cans of navy beans.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.