Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Disaster Preparedness General Discussion
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Disaster Preparedness General Discussion Anything Disaster Preparedness or Survival Related

Advertise Here

Old 03-13-2008, 01:00 AM

Default FEMA'S Correspondence Courses

Advertise Here

Hey,
i have taken and successfully passed three of FEMA's correspondence courses on emergency management.Has anyone else on here thought of doing this?
The Following User Says Thank You to manstopper For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2008, 01:41 AM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 
Total Awards: 1

posty linky nuby ....
Old 03-13-2008, 01:43 AM
"Dolt"

Thanked 3,197 Times in 1,204 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Firearms Post 

I did one awhile back. I'd have to flip through my love me book to see which one. Was going to do more but got side tracked with other family issues.
Old 03-16-2008, 09:01 AM
Target Shooter

Good GO. I think they are useful. Understanding the governments mind set is a good secondary lesson. Knowing how they will handle an event is useful. I took the series of courses that were available back in the early 1990's. I enjoyed them. After learning how a fallout shelter would be run, yikes , I signed up to help the local emergency management people. I did learn a lot from them, some of it I considered to be a "know your enemy" class, ha. I got an ID card, supposed to get me past police lines etc, but no decoder ring, ha. The ID worked when I tried it at a big fire. I planned to use my credentials to get where I wanted to go when they started blocking the routes and directing the flow of sheeple. Learning a little about search and rescue is a good thing. We had annual exercises, like a crashed airliners, chemical spills, all good scenarios to know about. Fortunately, I moved, no bug out required now, and now I don't have to worry that I would not be allowed to get to my destination. I do recommend taking the classes and test.
Old 03-17-2008, 07:20 PM
I have control issues

Thanked 2,756 Times in 1,394 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Gardening Post or Thread 

Didn't know they HAD correspondence courses. Guess I'll start taking some after I finish my college classes in May.
Old 03-17-2008, 08:48 PM
Hiker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post
Good GO. I think they are useful. Understanding the governments mind set is a good secondary lesson. Knowing how they will handle an event is useful. I took the series of courses that were available back in the early 1990's. I enjoyed them. After learning how a fallout shelter would be run, yikes , I signed up to help the local emergency management people. I did learn a lot from them, some of it I considered to be a "know your enemy" class, ha. I got an ID card, supposed to get me past police lines etc, but no decoder ring, ha. The ID worked when I tried it at a big fire. I planned to use my credentials to get where I wanted to go when they started blocking the routes and directing the flow of sheeple. Learning a little about search and rescue is a good thing. We had annual exercises, like a crashed airliners, chemical spills, all good scenarios to know about. Fortunately, I moved, no bug out required now, and now I don't have to worry that I would not be allowed to get to my destination. I do recommend taking the classes and test.
was this a correspondence course or did you actually take it somewhere? ive been wanting to get in to some of that on a volunteer bases for quite some time now and was actually going to enroll in an EMT course at a local CC. any info you can provide would be very helpful.

thanks!

V.
Old 03-18-2008, 01:59 AM

My instructor gives us "extra credit" if we complete one of these courses during the semester so I guess at some point I will plan to knock one of them out. On that note, I have taken about 8 of them but this moron wont except the ones that are required by our job (NIMS IS 100-200-700-800) as its not unfair that we already took them and the other 18 y/o ----tards havent cause they were too busy partying their last free summer away!! Yes, I am a little bitter and I let her know that!!

Anyway, back to the subject, my major is Emergency Administration and Planning. Currently I am taking Response and Recovery, and Introduction to Emergency Management. The two classes pretty much flow together and teach nothing but the standard "mainstream" way of govt. thinking. So far I havent been too impressed with what we havent learned LOL!!

For those thinking of taking these courses, I recommend them as they do introduce you to a taste of the govts. way of thinking (or not!)
Old 03-18-2008, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by voland View Post
was this a correspondence course or did you actually take it somewhere? ive been wanting to get in to some of that on a volunteer bases for quite some time now and was actually going to enroll in an EMT course at a local CC. any info you can provide would be very helpful.

thanks!

V.
I would HIGHLY suggest you take these NIMS courses at some point before you start applying for a job in EMS/FIRE/or PD. Emphasize mainly on the IS 100-200 and 700-800 as these courses are required by ALL emergency personel that will be directly involved with post disaster situations. IS 100-700 coincide with each other, as do IS 200-800. These will at least look good on your resume when you apply as it might show someon that you are ahead of the others and taken a little initutive to complete them on your own.

If you really want to hurry through them and dont give two craps about what you learn from them I suggest you open three seperate browsers with one containing the final test, one containing the answers to that final test, and the last one containing the body of material in which to refer to for the answers to the questions for the finaly test LOL!! It will cut your time in 1/2 by doing such, just depends on your morals as most of us did it this way!!
Old 03-18-2008, 02:33 PM
Scarred for life...

Thanked 5,195 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken View Post

KEN, How did you get an ID card? Who issued it? Could you tell me more about it?
Old 03-18-2008, 07:50 PM
Target Shooter

Default more part 1

Hmm, I will try to answer the questions in two parts, first as to the courses I was able to take.

I took the paper and snail mail correspondence courses, this was some time back, not the other "classroom" courses some of you are referring to. The classroom courses were available but generally cost the sponsor, and required several approvals at the county and state level to attend, some were only offered at the national level. Some of the state and national courses were even offered to some of us peons, usually as a fill in for a cancellation, but I did not take any. The structure of the correspondence classes have changed with time, probably a good thing. Everything about this topic has been changed since 911. Some of the correspondence classes have been refurbished in the on-line version now available, others have been dropped. I encourage everyone interested to take the on-line courses, their free, and useful. For those in a college degree plan like "emergency management", the classroom courses would be excellent, might be good for extra CEU's for those in fire and police jobs as well. There are some good fire type courses available at the state level, your county fire marshal might know, or be the one that could get you on the list to go. I do not know how counties are now organized now, after 911, surely different. I was able to get some training and was able to get to play in some of the drills, probably because there was so little interest in this type topic in the late 1980's and early 90's.
Old 03-18-2008, 07:59 PM
Target Shooter

Default more part 2

ID cards

Nothing magic about the ID card, our photo ID cards were not the cards handed out by the old FEMA organization for the big bug out, ours were maybe a similar idea, but were at the local level Hope I did not confuse the issue in my other post. For those following this thread that are unaware of this, there were real FEMA ID cards that were issued to people in critical functions that would bug out with the government when they ran for the hills in a SHTF scenario, ha. There were some exercises where these people would take part in a drill to simulate the recovery of the government after a "bad" event, usually a paper exercise. Most people doing everyday but somewhat critical functions were never aware of the person designated in their office or division. Back to the cards we were issued, to answer the questions posted about this. I was a low level volunteer, took the courses as in the original post, then took some fire and police training when available, along with some incident command classes, etc. We occasionally did drills, annual hazmat type spills etc, some were held in the county EOC, an underground facility where the counties police, fire, emergency services and all that were to be run from after an event. The ID card was recognized by the counties various police fire and other services as a "he is on our side" thing and facilitated the cross department red tape". My comments about using my card to get where I needed to go related to our county's plans within the states plan for what was termed "emergency relocation". Back at that time the federal government had given up on sheltering in place (fallout shelters) and states and cities planned to dump the population on the highways to get out of town. By the way, you will remember just how effective this was when Houston Texas tried dumping their population on the highways heading out of town after the hurricane, ha. I would have used my "local" ID card to get around the police and state troopers that would have been ordered to not allow anyone to bug out on a secondary road. Fortunately I never had to exercise my own emergency plan. Hope this helps answer the questions

Last edited by ken; 03-18-2008 at 08:02 PM.. Reason: typo's
Old 03-18-2008, 08:18 PM
Gun ENTHUSIAST

I took the fema courses in homeland security class last fall, anyone can pass, even the students who believe security is way more important than freedom and that the patriot act is so patriotic. Im a sophmore and 400 certified.
Old 03-18-2008, 09:10 PM

Where could I go about pursuing this...

I'm looking around FEMA's website, but there is an overwhelming amount of information and links and I'm not all that sure...

http://training.fema.gov/EMICourses/
http://training.fema.gov/IS/

This what your talking about?

Last edited by Andrew89; 03-18-2008 at 09:24 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Andrew89 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Trapper

I have taken most of the FEMA online courses. I find them extremely useful, especially since I am working on my degree in Emergency Management. Anyone who is going into any type of public safety work needs ICS 100,200 and 700,800B courses.