Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 07-23-2009, 07:47 PM
Hiker

Default how much bleach to add to water?

Advertise Here

I'm storing water that I filter through a R.O. system. Do I need to add anything like bleach to keep it from getting 'germy'?
Old 07-23-2009, 08:31 PM

Don't quote me but I seem to recall 1 teaspoon per gallon.
The Following User Says Thank You to alasbabalon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2009, 08:55 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,408 Times in 678 Posts

From Googling:

Ratio of Clorox Bleach to Water for Purification

2 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per quart of water
8 drops of Regular Clorox Bleach per gallon of water
1/2 teaspoon Regular Clorox Bleach per five gallons of water
If water is cloudy, double the recommended dosages of Clorox Bleach.

Add Regular Clorox Bleach per the indicated ratio. Mix well. Wait 30 min. Water should have a slight bleach odor. If not, repeat dose. Wait 15 min. Sniff again.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ImbriD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2009, 06:47 PM
Nemo May Impune Laccesit

Sodium Hypochlorite (common laundry bleach) is a proven disinfectant for water. You need first to know the concentration of your bleach. Name brands are typically 6% while house brands are 3% (That's how they price them lower) You will want to achieve a 3-4 ppm concentration of bleach to water. This equates to 3-4 mg/l.
For a 55 gallon drum you would add 5 teaspoons of 6% bleach. Add the bleach as the water is being added to the barrel. The mixing will be automatic as it fills. Close the bung plug and keep it cool and away from sunlight (basement is perfect)
I have treated several barrels for many years (draining and refilling every 2 years) and the water is crystal clear and taste good. Almost no odor of chlorine preset.

Last edited by jeffreyclay; 07-24-2009 at 06:51 PM.. Reason: additional suggestion
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to jeffreyclay For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2009, 06:52 PM
Maximus

Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffreyclay View Post
Sodium Hypochlorite (common laundry bleach) is a proven disinfectant for water.
Just be aware that bleach for Cryptosporidium is debatable.
Not that you have to worry about that so much with house water, but field water or fecal contaminated water you should be aware.

"Cryptosporidium is tougher to kill than most disease-causing organisms. The usual disinfectants, including most commonly used bleach solutions, have little effect on the Cryptosporidium parasite. "
http://www.familymanagement.com/chil...sis.facts.html
Old 07-24-2009, 08:12 PM
Christian Survivalist

Thanked 1,481 Times in 859 Posts

Crypto is rare in North America. However that could change over time, or when the SHTF.

As far as bleach goes ... My personal research is that you can (use this info to base your own research on)... use Chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners. It's important to realize that this is for an emergency situation. Common household bleach by itself is not a true water purifier. For that, you need something that is registered by the EPA as such.

The only agent that I know of that does meet the EPA guidelines for a water purifyer is chlorine dioxide and is found in the proper formuation and concentration in only a few water purification tablets. And, by the way, it kills Crypto.

If you wish to store water ahead of time, FEMA suggests that you can prepare your own water storage by using food grade water storage containers or re-use 2-liter plastic soft drink bottles. If you choose this method, you’ll need to thoroughly clean the containers with dishwashing soap and water and rinse completely so there is no residual soap. Additionally, for soft drink bottles, sanitize the bottles by adding one teaspoon of non-scented liquid chlorine bleach to a quart of water, and swish the sanitizing solution so that it touches all inside surfaces and rinse thoroughly with clean water. Then, fill the bottle with regular tap water from a city water supply (pre-treated with chlorine). If your tap water is not chlorinated, treat it yourself with two drops of non-scented liquid chorine bleach per gallon of water. Tightly seal the container using the original cap making sure that you do not contaminate the cap by touching the inside of it. Write the date on the outside of the cap so that you know when you filled it and store in a cool dark place.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SurviveIt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 PM
Maximus

Thanked 14,180 Times in 6,261 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurviveIt View Post
Crypto is rare in North America. However that could change over time, or when the SHTF.
Your right, it is rare but check this out. Over 400,000 people infected with it in Milwaukee in 1993. Crazy stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwauk...idium_outbreak
Old 07-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Christian Survivalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by vicdotcom View Post
Your right, it is rare but check this out. Over 400,000 people infected with it in Milwaukee in 1993. Crazy stuff.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Milwauk...idium_outbreak
I think we are in agreement that people should prepare for really bad water, and water that has Crypto. Having good tablets that kill it arent that much more than those that dont. However, I am not opposed to having bleach as a back up plan. However, it should indeed be a back up. The water that's left when the SHTF may be pretty poor quality. If everyone else is passing it up, wouldnt it be nice to be able to use that without having to worry about if Crypto is in there or not? I have a boat load of the right tablets for just an occasion. BRING IT!
Old 07-25-2009, 05:38 AM

I have a well, so my water is safely underground. I just got a generator--we use it at the racetrack, but I plan to hook it up to the well and see if it has enough HP to draw water. Other than that, I have tablets from the sporting goods store, as I have not had good luck storing water. If I ever manage to get gutters on my house, I'll put barrels on the downspouts to catch rain for the toilets. In an emergency, could I boil this water, assuming there's no fallout or chemical pollution, but only a power outage?
Old 07-25-2009, 05:55 AM
Trapper

Having water = #1
Boiling water =#2
Having and finding food =#3

If you have those locked down, and you're not in nuke city zombie day... you're WAY WAY WAY ahead of everyone else.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hatch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2009, 11:05 AM
Hiker

Thanks for all the great advice
Old 07-25-2009, 12:22 PM
Christian Survivalist

Also, one other thing, Crypto is pretty big for a pathogen. Most filters, even the inexpensive ones will trap it.

The best prevention is a combination of filter and very good water tablets. If you have that, you have rock solid protection.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:43 AM
"Fly birdies! fly!"

Thanked 25,133 Times in 7,066 Posts

I'm planning 4 55-gallon containers of tap water+bleach in my garage (on a platform) and another 4 that will be pre-rigged to hook up to gutters to collect rainwater.

Old 09-07-2012, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
I have a well, so my water is safely underground. I just got a generator--we use it at the racetrack, but I plan to hook it up to the well and see if it has enough HP to draw water.
Not trying to pop your bubble but what does your generator run on? How much fuel are you going to store?

Look at some kind of hand pump for your well, just my 2 cents.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:43 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,379 Times in 816 Posts

Don't mess with Crypto! that'll have you passin blood,# 1 and 2...Hepatitus(A?) can be picked up from bad water...there's also somethin passed to mammals from snails that will ruin your day...Got a friend caught this from swimmin...I ve seen Iodine used before and yrs back my Grandad would dump a jug of bleach in the Cystern...So much for ppm's I reckon..
Old 09-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Walking methane refinery

Thanked 102,341 Times in 33,028 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by David T. View Post
Not trying to pop your bubble but what does your generator run on? How much fuel are you going to store?

Look at some kind of hand pump for your well, just my 2 cents.
You resurrected a 3 year old thread, just to add that?
Folks, when starting a thread, please take a moment and consider which forum that thread belongs in. Disaster Preparedness is for disaster preparedness discussions only. There are forums for gun posts, news, politics, general discussion, etc. Please try to start threads in the right forum. This makes the site better for all of us. Thanks.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MikeK For This Useful Post:
Old 09-13-2012, 04:51 PM

Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a newbie, but does adding bleach destroy any trace benefits in the water? I read on another board that distillation not only leaches out the calcium in water but, over a period of time, without the calcium in the water, it will actually start to flush calcium from your system. Was that poster way off? And does adding bleach have any adverse affects we should be aware of (assuming we have the right ratio down)?
Old 09-17-2012, 01:36 PM
Simple Goat Herder - 8ⓖ

Thanked 7,843 Times in 1,429 Posts

Easy. None unless it's open enough that animals can poop in it, and then you need to seal it. If we're talking about an open air pond... boil and/or distill your water.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:17 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,973 Times in 797 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandazzaCasting View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, I'm a newbie, but does adding bleach destroy any trace benefits in the water? I read on another board that distillation not only leaches out the calcium in water but, over a period of time, without the calcium in the water, it will actually start to flush calcium from your system. Was that poster way off? And does adding bleach have any adverse affects we should be aware of (assuming we have the right ratio down)?
Adding bleach is essentially adding chlorine, which is what the water company adds. You may notice your tap water smells more strongly of chlorine after a rain storm. They are just adding more treatment because of the added possible contaminants, just like doubling the drops for cloudy water.
RO and distilled water are both lacking minerals but a good multi-vitamin should take care of that.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:26 PM
Go Forward With Courage.

Thanked 6,672 Times in 2,187 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by zliminator View Post
I'm storing water that I filter through a R.O. system. Do I need to add anything like bleach to keep it from getting 'germy'?
No way would I ever use bleach. I would use food grade hydrogen peroxide like dairy farmers use. Why use poison when you can use something healthy?

You can buy the Food Grade Peroxide in gallons at 35% concentration and use 11 parts water to one part peroxide then use that mix at an ounce per gallon. The stuff cures ailments too.