Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Firearms and Other Weapons Forum > Military Weapons Forum
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Military Weapons Forum AR15, AK47, SKS, H&K, Galil, CETME, FN/FAL, Tanks, Ships, Jets, Helicopters....

Advertise Here

Old 07-15-2009, 06:58 PM
Trapper

Default 7.62x39 range

Advertise Here

what's the maximum range of a 7.62X39? In case of a ricochet?
Old 07-15-2009, 07:07 PM
lost in the woods

at 500 yds you have a bullet drop of 108 in
Old 07-15-2009, 07:08 PM

that is really not possible to answer due to the fact that a ricochet will sap the energy of the shot. However if you were to lob a shot at just the right angle you might make it out to 1100 - 1200 yards.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:12 PM
I'll fix it

Thanked 1,837 Times in 1,019 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJones View Post
that is really not possible to answer due to the fact that a ricochet will sap the energy of the shot. However if you were to lob a shot at just the right angle you might make it out to 1100 - 1200 yards.
Hey, rounds dropping from the sky can kill people...you never know.
Old 07-15-2009, 07:26 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,343 Posts

Just shoot into a good berm and you wont have to worry about these things
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2009, 07:38 PM
lost in the woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodOlFroathyOne View Post
Just shoot into a good berm and you wont have to worry about these things
Score one for best answer
The Following User Says Thank You to soco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2009, 10:14 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,752 Posts

MY backstop is a 3 sided box with sandbags on the front face. A big pile of dirt would work fine too. Avoid shooting over water and into a flat wooded area. Always have a known backstop for your shot. If it not that safe, it's not that worth it. Particuarly when hunting. It's kinda why I like using a .30-30 for deer, not too powerful and too flat shooting.
Old 07-17-2009, 12:09 AM
Slayer of Sacred Cows

Though a bit off topic the max realistic effective range of the 7.62x39mm round in the military version is somwhere around 500yds. Giving a combination of good shooter, optics and rifle&ammo.

At this distance the bullet will be on the verge of coming down out of sonic speed; all depending on atmospheric conditions of course.
This can have an unstabilizing effect on the bullet and may cause it to start to yaw considering the ballistic coefficient is only .256. Which is roughly half that of long range match type bullets.

Also the bullet drop given a 245yd zero is -87.7" at 500yds and wil require a sighting system precise enough to hold that approximate amount on a field target. Meaning an optic with some sort of BDC usable reticle.

Then there is the mechanical accuracey of the rifle and ammo. Certian combo's of both rifle and M43 ball may yield 2MOA. If, this can be done consistantly that will translate as 10", more or less, at 500yds.
Anymore deviation and you get more than minute of man and factoring in human aiming error that will equal a miss.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mabu Khan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2009, 03:56 AM
Darting from the shadows

Thanked 6,480 Times in 2,812 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabu Khan View Post
Though a bit off topic the max realistic effective range of the 7.62x39mm round in the military version is somwhere around 500yds. Giving a combination of good shooter, optics and rifle&ammo.

At this distance the bullet will be on the verge of coming down out of sonic speed; all depending on atmospheric conditions of course.
This can have an unstabilizing effect on the bullet and may cause it to start to yaw considering the ballistic coefficient is only .256. Which is roughly half that of long range match type bullets.

Also the bullet drop given a 245yd zero is -87.7" at 500yds and wil require a sighting system precise enough to hold that approximate amount on a field target. Meaning an optic with some sort of BDC usable reticle.

Then there is the mechanical accuracey of the rifle and ammo. Certian combo's of both rifle and M43 ball may yield 2MOA. If, this can be done consistantly that will translate as 10", more or less, at 500yds.
Anymore deviation and you get more than minute of man and factoring in human aiming error that will equal a miss.
Great post thanks.
All good stuff there.
Old 07-23-2009, 10:53 PM
Slayer of Sacred Cows

You're welcome.

I have this data handy as I'm gonna try and push the 7.62x39 as far as practicle.

I recently picked up a Norinco MAK-91 which before the import ban was being sold here as the Poly-Tech Legend National Match with a 19"barrel.

Right now I'm working on getting it lined out for testing some factory loads as well as some handloaded ammo.

Plan is to use it as a "Tabuk" type DMR weapon. So far I've replaced the clumsy thumbhole stock with a Choate Dragunov style one and the handguards with a modified TAPCO Fusion one(needed fitting and a new heat sheild). The wire sling loop on the gas block was removed and an ACE clamp on one attached to the rail on the new handguard. I then got a side rail base mounted to the receiver and a UTG scope mount. Sitting on that is a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x with a ballistic plex reticle.
Now I'm just a waiting for the Red Star Arms adjustable trigger I ordered to come in.
Old 07-23-2009, 11:48 PM
Survivor

Thanked 1,201 Times in 714 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mabu Khan View Post
You're welcome.

I have this data handy as I'm gonna try and push the 7.62x39 as far as practicle.

I recently picked up a Norinco MAK-91 which before the import ban was being sold here as the Poly-Tech Legend National Match with a 19"barrel.

Right now I'm working on getting it lined out for testing some factory loads as well as some handloaded ammo.

Plan is to use it as a "Tabuk" type DMR weapon. So far I've replaced the clumsy thumbhole stock with a Choate Dragunov style one and the handguards with a modified TAPCO Fusion one(needed fitting and a new heat sheild). The wire sling loop on the gas block was removed and an ACE clamp on one attached to the rail on the new handguard. I then got a side rail base mounted to the receiver and a UTG scope mount. Sitting on that is a Burris Fullfield II 2-7x with a ballistic plex reticle.
Now I'm just a waiting for the Red Star Arms adjustable trigger I ordered to come in.
If you stick with the short bbl you're not going to get much more out of the cartridge. if you get something in a 20" bbl you'll see a world of difference.

Burning more powder after the bullet leaves the bbl does nothing for balistics. Your best bet is to use fast burning powders.

The bullet choices leave a lot to be desired also.
The Following User Says Thank You to mightyoak For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2009, 11:00 AM
Survivor

Thanked 2,799 Times in 1,752 Posts

There's a lot more important practice to do that trying to hit paper at 500 yards.

Try putting up 2 or 3 paper plates. Gun on table or resting on side or table or just in hands at a public range, try shooting 1 paper plate in less than 4 seconds. Then try hitting 2 in 7 seconds. Once the basics are down, try hitting 2 quick shots in each. I practice 2 at 50 yards on public ranges and 3 at 35 yards on private ranges. Once you can do this and hit some decent slow fire shots while standing, sitting, kneeling, and laying down, then I think it's OK to go past 100 yards shooting.

You see a person at 500 yards away, how do you know it's not your uncle that didn't tell you he went hunting for the day? Most problems will be at the edge of your lawn. I sure wish my front lawn was 500 yards, then I'd have no problem owning a few barrets.
The Following User Says Thank You to sailinghudson25 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2009, 02:33 PM
Slayer of Sacred Cows

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightyoak View Post
If you stick with the short bbl you're not going to get much more out of the cartridge. if you get something in a 20" bbl you'll see a world of difference.

Burning more powder after the bullet leaves the bbl does nothing for balistics. Your best bet is to use fast burning powders.

The bullet choices leave a lot to be desired also.
No kidding really? I thought I already posted the same thing in my first post in this thread.

BTW- I'm using a 19"bbl as I measure it a little on the conservative side.
Old 07-24-2009, 03:09 PM
Slayer of Sacred Cows

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailinghudson25 View Post
There's a lot more important practice to do that trying to hit paper at 500 yards.

Try putting up 2 or 3 paper plates. Gun on table or resting on side or table or just in hands at a public range, try shooting 1 paper plate in less than 4 seconds. Then try hitting 2 in 7 seconds. Once the basics are down, try hitting 2 quick shots in each. I practice 2 at 50 yards on public ranges and 3 at 35 yards on private ranges. Once you can do this and hit some decent slow fire shots while standing, sitting, kneeling, and laying down, then I think it's OK to go past 100 yards shooting.

You see a person at 500 yards away, how do you know it's not your uncle that didn't tell you he went hunting for the day? Most problems will be at the edge of your lawn. I sure wish my front lawn was 500 yards, then I'd have no problem owning a few barrets.
Gee no ****? A "Mr.Cleo" you are not. First you know very damn little to zero about my shooting ablility expereince or what distances I've shot at or shoot at. Or where I live or what shooting areas I have acess to.
Guess what due? I've shot at out to 600yds more than a bit with various rifles I've owned. And I've even shot a Barret, depending on model that is way more than a 500yd gun. Plus I do shoot in various postions when at the range.

And thank you very much for guessing wrong that I even have an uncle and implying I'm gonna indiscriminately shoot at people from my property come SHTF. Ever hear of a spotting scope or 10x50 Bino's?
I'd also like to know Mr.Cleo what kind'a crystal ball you've got that say's I or you will never ever need to engage targets beyond "the edge of my lawn"? Or that I will never ever be away doing other things after SHTF depending on what color of brown it is. Or, that the MAK-91 I mentioned is my only weapon, which it ain't? I've a couple of plain old MAK-90's 922r converted back to original configuration that can handle stuff out to 100yds plus if needed.

But I do agree there are likely some here that can at least benifit from your post on learning to shoot. Have a nice day.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:30 PM
11B20 - Status Inactive

Thanked 4,924 Times in 2,343 Posts

500 yds is close? I wouldn't want to be any closer than 1k yds of someone intending to do me harm. You bet your butt regardless of what rifle I have in my hands I am going to use the maximum stand-off range to engage and not wait till they are right on top of me. I will gamble that I probably have more training and experience at engaging at +300m ranges than the idiot trying to kill me and use that to my advantage.
The Following User Says Thank You to GoodOlFroathyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2009, 10:21 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,142 Times in 1,180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKman View Post
what's the maximum range of a 7.62X39? In case of a ricochet?
Looped in the air,at about 45 degree,it will do about 2 miles or so.
A 30-06 will do about 17,000 feet if memory serves me.Thats roughly 3 1/4 miles.