Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Food and water
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Food and water Discussion on food and water storage, water purification and related topics.

Advertise Here

Old 02-09-2014, 10:43 AM
Survivor

Thanked 3,648 Times in 1,722 Posts
Default Propane Burner - outdoor canning what to look for

Advertise Here

I've been wanting a propane burner to cook outside and for canning.
What should I be looking for? I saw a 12" tall carolina cooker on Agri Supply site for 40.00. Looks good to me but I could be wrong.

http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-c...urner/p/49469/
Old 02-09-2014, 12:04 PM
Don't be dumb

Thanked 2,053 Times in 881 Posts

Looks like a great deal to me. Just make sure you have a good table to put it on so that you aren't bending over all day.
Old 02-09-2014, 01:20 PM
Prepaired

Great idea. Any cooker will work but I think 170,000 btu's is an insane amount for canning. You could bring 4 gallons to temp for a shrimp boil or turkey fry in no time, but for canning that large burner may be hard to regulate down low enough to just maintain pressure once you are up to pressure.

The large burner on a home range is in the 12k to 15k range. Commercial range burners are around 30k. A outdoor cooker with 50k to 60k will work just fine for canning.

I think mine is about 90,000 btu and it's a little touchy to control on the low end.

I prefer the ones with 4 legs versus the tripod. I think it's more stable. If you don't have a large boil pot, the fryer combos cost a little more but can be a better deal if you need the pot. Just google 'turkey fryer' and check out the styles and prices.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Slclarry For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 01:31 PM
M.R. Not

Thanked 2,803 Times in 1,182 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kajunman1 View Post
I saw a 12" tall carolina cooker on Agri Supply site for 40.00. Looks good to me but I could be wrong.
Remember the fad for deep frying turkeys, yep that's what I use, except it's for brewing beer.

But Agri Supply does have some neat cookers/kettles etc. I wish I had a shrimp, or catfish pond nearby.

Rancher
The Following User Says Thank You to azrancher For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 01:40 PM
My Temperature is Right

Thanked 4,125 Times in 2,318 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slclarry View Post
Great idea. Any cooker will work but I think 170,000 btu's is an insane amount for canning. You could bring 4 gallons to temp for a shrimp boil or turkey fry in no time, but for canning that large burner may be hard to regulate down low enough to just maintain pressure once you are up to pressure.

The large burner on a home range is in the 12k to 15k range. Commercial range burners are around 30k. A outdoor cooker with 50k to 60k will work just fine for canning.

I think mine is about 90,000 btu and it's a little touchy to control on the low end.

I prefer the ones with 4 legs versus the tripod. I think it's more stable. If you don't have a large boil pot, the fryer combos cost a little more but can be a better deal if you need the pot. Just google 'turkey fryer' and check out the styles and prices.
Actually tripods are more stable as they balance themselves on an irregular surface. With 4 legs you almost always have to use shims to get remove any wobble from the cooker.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cranky1950 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 02:12 PM
patriarch

Thanked 1,901 Times in 992 Posts

Sure, I have a Cajun cooker/ fish-chicken/ turkey fryer from Basspro, but the best item I found was an older gas range. No clock/timer or electricity needed to operate (pilot light). I can also bake if needed. $40 I have it connected to a #30 tank. Just set it on the porch, shelter house, summer kitchen, basement, garage?

http://www.survivalistboards.com/pic...ictureid=32100
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 02:27 PM
patriarch

Quote:
I've been wanting a propane burner to cook outside and for canning.
What should I be looking for? I saw a 12" tall carolina cooker on Agri Supply site for 40.00. Looks good to me but I could be wrong.

http://www.agrisupply.com/carolina-c...urner/p/49469/
The Carolina cooker looks like this. I've heard them called all sort of things. My first one was called a "Creole Cook' All". We cooked a lot of catfish fiddlers and fried chicken in ours.

http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shop...SELL_THUMBNAIL
Old 02-09-2014, 09:29 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by azrancher View Post
Remember the fad for deep frying turkeys, yep that's what I use, except it's for brewing beer.

But Agri Supply does have some neat cookers/kettles etc. I wish I had a shrimp, or catfish pond nearby.

Rancher
I've been smoking turkeys for 20 years. Going to try trashcan turkey next time.

I'm not into the beer making, yet. Wine making may be first.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:33 PM
Survivor

Quote:
Originally Posted by two bits View Post
Sure, I have a Cajun cooker/ fish-chicken/ turkey fryer from Basspro, but the best item I found was an older gas range. No clock/timer or electricity needed to operate (pilot light). I can also bake if needed. $40 I have it connected to a #30 tank. Just set it on the porch, shelter house, summer kitchen, basement, garage?

http://www.survivalistboards.com/pic...ictureid=32100
Hmmmmm, an old gas range. That may be even better. So propane or natural gas the same or needs some modifications? My indoor range is a new electric glasstop piece of crap.
A propane backup would be ideal!
The Following User Says Thank You to kajunman1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 09:48 PM
Prepared

make sure you have the ability to adjust the flame. normally after the canner has reached the right temp/pressure, a small flame will keep it steady.
The Following User Says Thank You to OkieRob For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 10:03 PM
Hiker

Thanked 1,008 Times in 437 Posts

I have the Camp Chef Explorer with the 30K BTUs and it is perfect for canning. As OkieRob posted you need to be able to turn the flame down once you reach your dial in for your canning. This one really works for that.

Camp Chef Explorer 2 Burner Propane Stove. Has adjustable legs and it is very sturdy.

Also excellent for two large pots side by side boiling crabs.

Ours is simply hooked into our large propane tank and sits on the deck all year ready to go; with a cover.
The Following User Says Thank You to PreppinMouse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 10:24 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,172 Times in 504 Posts

Great thread I've been looking for the same thing.
Old 02-09-2014, 10:29 PM
patriarch

Quote:
Hmmmmm, an old gas range. That may be even better. So propane or natural gas the same or needs some modifications? My indoor range is a new electric glasstop piece of crap.
I too, have a glass top electric range. Yes, you have to change the orifice to the correct fuel. All the modern gas ranges come with an orifice that can be changed to burn either fuel. I also have natural gas in the house, but I really wanted to be portable, independent.

I purchased mine from a guy on craigslist. He lived in the country and used LP. Just what I was looking for! I didn't have to change anything. A lot of E-how on the web to show you how to change the orifice on gas ranges. I originally was planning to use a #100 cylinder, but is too hard to handle at my age. I thought this to be the cats meow! I can bake pies and extra turkey at holidays if the electric range is busy, or if the power goes out, I'm set. We use it to can on. Sometimes, I have two canners going the same time.
The Following User Says Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2014, 11:46 PM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 26,217 Times in 13,698 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

I use the burner from a deep fried turkey set up to pressure can on. My All American 923 fits in it perfect. I made an aluminum windscreen and it works like a charm. It does take a fine touch to get it dialed in, but it's awesome.
Old 02-10-2014, 12:43 AM
Always exploring...

Thanked 55,148 Times in 14,431 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Member 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
There are little screw in thingies (note the technical description there ) to adapt one way for propane the other way for natural gas.

If you go with a propane burner you are going to need to make sure you get one you can adjust the flame on, they can get too hot for a canner. It could warp the bottom of the canner and it is a pain to try to keep pressure regulated with the fish cooker type.

The main reason people get rid of gas stoves is the oven goes out. Rarely are there problems with the range part of the stove. The stoves are designed to work on low pressure which is what natural gas and the large propane tanks run on. If you use the smaller tanks you may have to have a different regulator but that is easy to discover and they aren't that expensive. An outdoor stove during canning season is a wonderful thing to have plus you have it for backup in case of a power outage.

I love my outdoor stove. The oven doesn't work (which is why I replaced it in the house, after a point repairs are not worth it) so I use it to store a sealed plastic box containing my outdoor cooking utensils for the stove and grill.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mels thinkingitover For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 12:47 AM

Use some caution using a pressure canner on a fish cooker!!!! The BTUs are usually to high for the soft aluminum canner. It can and will warp the bottom of the canner on Presto or Mirro brands. Im not shur about the All American canner, its a lot heavier duty. If your canner warps it will not sit flat on your indoor burners causing heat displacement and lost of energy(you hafta use higher heat to hold the right pressure). I only know this because…… um, my Granny told me??
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Hammer 1 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 01:01 AM
Red Dot Patrol

Thanked 6,794 Times in 2,113 Posts

The All American canner instructions state to NOT use more than 14,000 btu's when bringing the canner up to pressure. It says higher btu's can weaken the aluminum. Yes, you can use an outdoor propane cooker, just don't do it full blast.... try to mimick what a gas stove flame would look like.
The Following User Says Thank You to jdode For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 07:57 AM
M.R. Ducks

Thanked 7,650 Times in 3,527 Posts

Make sure your burner can produce a stable flame when turned way down for canning. It would suck if the flame winked out two thirds of the way through your processing time and you didn't notice. It might also be hard to light way up under the canner.

I prefer to use a burner whose maximum BTU output is closer to 12 - 14,000. That way you can run it close to wide open for a more stable flame.
The Following User Says Thank You to LibShooter For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 08:16 AM
Survivor

Thanked 7,389 Times in 2,772 Posts

I'm thinking a salvaged kitchen stove is going to perform better than the big turkey fryer burners, once you're up to temp it doesn't take a lot to keep it going. Those big fryers are likely to do more damage than help.

After the burner is figured out, you'll probably want a set of adjustable shrouds to keep wind off the flame, and to concentrate heat on your vessel.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dragonid For This Useful Post:
Old 02-10-2014, 08:50 AM
patriarch

The most popular stove in other countries is the kerosene stove. Even the Amish use them for canning. Imagine canning on a wood stove. You don't regulate the heat, you move the canner around on the wood stove to find the desired heat temp.
Check out St Paul Mercantile (kerosene stoves).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to two bits For This Useful Post: