Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Health, Fitness and First Aid
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 04-19-2009, 02:56 AM

Default how long are items like iodine, hydrogen peroxide, etc good for.

Advertise Here

So I was wondering. how long are items like iodine, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, vingar, etc good for?
The Following User Says Thank You to WAPATRIOT509 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2009, 11:50 PM

I'd like to know too. Had a stroll thru local farm produce agency today & saw BULK animal treatments & chemicals... electrolyte replacement, sulphur, borax, iodine, horse multivitamins, Vit B stress formula for stressing animals (we're an animal!) - couldn't see antibiotics tho - wondering what USES & efficacy of them too.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:46 AM

I know iodine should last decades if not longer as it has no shelf life. Same with rubbing alcohol. Can't say much about the others mentioned?
Old 04-20-2009, 08:21 AM
Trapper

"iodine, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, vingar,"

Of these four, the only one with a limited lifespan is the hydrogen peroxide. Generally in good storage it will lose about half strength in a year. In bad storage, ie left in the sunshine, it'll be useless in a week.

The others will be fine until they evaporate away or get dirt in them.
The Following User Says Thank You to razadp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 03:43 PM
Not Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by razadp View Post
"iodine, hydrogen peroxide, rubbing alcohol, vingar,"

Of these four, the only one with a limited lifespan is the hydrogen peroxide. Generally in good storage it will lose about half strength in a year. In bad storage, ie left in the sunshine, it'll be useless in a week.

The others will be fine until they evaporate away or get dirt in them.
That was a surprise, I had never considered that medicines and similar chemicals would lose their usefulness with time. Are most medicines and chemicals you'd stock up on for an emergency short-lasting like hydrogen peroxide?
Old 04-20-2009, 03:50 PM
Trapper

There's no such things as general statements about 'chemicals'.

Some are good for billions of years - yes granite is a conglomerate of chemicals.
Some are measured in microseconds as intermediates between other more stable states.

The most general rule for pharmaceuticals is 'cool dry place' which is on every bottle of pills.
The Following User Says Thank You to razadp For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2009, 04:13 PM
Not Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by razadp View Post
There's no such things as general statements about 'chemicals'.

Some are good for billions of years - yes granite is a conglomerate of chemicals.
Some are measured in microseconds as intermediates between other more stable states.

The most general rule for pharmaceuticals is 'cool dry place' which is on every bottle of pills.
Sorry, I meant pharmaceuticals - kept thinking that "medicine" wouldn't cover everything but wasn't sure what would. I've never really used those, though I know we have a lot of hydrogen peroxide under our counter. Do they all generally get weaker over time?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:12 PM
Survivor

Thanked 4,235 Times in 1,573 Posts

Pharmesuticals have a definite shelf life. Ask your pharmacist next time your go in how long your pills are good for. (I believe most have a year shelf life).
Many first aid items (alcohol,iodine, first aid creams) have a very long shelf life (some practically forever), but that is unopened and stored in a cool dry location. (sorry, can't find the spell checker. lol)
Old 04-20-2009, 07:09 PM
Permanently gone

Thanked 3,682 Times in 1,017 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herbalpagan View Post
Pharmaceuticals have a definite shelf life. Ask your pharmacist next time your go in how long your pills are good for. (I believe most have a year shelf life).
Many first aid items (alcohol,iodine, first aid creams) have a very long shelf life (some practically forever), but that is unopened and stored in a cool dry location. (sorry, can't find the spell checker. lol)
Some pharmaceuticals become lethal with prolonged shelf life. Tetracycline can (rarely) cause Renal Tubular Acidosis (causing kidney shutdown).
From Wiki:
The expiration date of pharmaceuticals specifies the date the manufacturer guarantees the full potency and safety of a drug. Most medications are potent and safe after the expiration date. A study conducted by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration covered over 100 drugs, prescription and over-the-counter. The results showed that about 90% of them were safe and effective as far as 15 years past their expiration date. Joel Davis, a former FDA expiration-date compliance chief, said that with a handful of exceptions - notably nitroglycerin, insulin and some liquid antibiotics - most expired drugs are probably effective.
reference: Cohen, Laurie P. (2000-03-28), "Many Medicines Prove Potent for Years Past Their Expiration Dates.", Wall Street Journal 235 (62): A1 (cover story)

Here's the DoD Shelf Life Program Manual:
https://www.shelflife.hq.dla.mil/policy_DoD4140_27.aspx

It covers such things as foods (consumables) and non-consumables (alcohol, etc)
The Following User Says Thank You to Lamb For This Useful Post: