Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival > Vehicles & Transportation
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Advertise Here

Old 12-04-2012, 08:40 PM
Survivor

Thanked 2,383 Times in 1,178 Posts

Advertise Here

The reactors can run for 20 years between refueling, the newer reactors should be able to do 35 years, but the actual carrier requires very regular resupplies of food, fuel etc. Those things are high dependent on land supply, even more so in a war! The subs are independent for longer, but they are unlikely to have food for more than a few months, though if they wanted to they could probably fit in food for a year or two if they used WW2 style storing stuff everywhere!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobsmith View Post
2400 pilots for about 100 aircraft?
2400 in the air wings, so pilots, officers, repair etc.
Old 12-04-2012, 09:28 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,300 Times in 9,064 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxOne View Post
The reactors can run for 20 years between refueling, the newer reactors should be able to do 35 years, but the actual carrier requires very regular resupplies of food, fuel etc. Those things are high dependent on land supply, even more so in a war! The subs are independent for longer, but they are unlikely to have food for more than a few months, though if they wanted to they could probably fit in food for a year or two if they used WW2 style storing stuff everywhere!
Fast attack subs routinely go out for 6 months at a time, that is how much food and supplies they normally carry.

Boomers focus on only 105 days. I have been on boomers when we had to go on reduced rations, we could streeetch it to 5 months, if we started in the first week. But there would need to be a really good reason for it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 09:54 PM
Stinks like...BO

Thanked 1,775 Times in 565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibShooter View Post
According to Wikipedia a Nimitz class carrier can go 20 years between refuelings. I doubt they would stay at sea that long. And I doubt they could feed 3,200 crewmen and women and 2,400 pilots by fishing.

I suppose how the SHTF would determine how the crew would react. If the US were hit by an EMP all the offshore military assets would go retaliate against the responsible party. If there were some sort of economic collapse, the carriers would probably just come home. If the Mayan calendar means the world is going to end in three weeks, the carriers are as hosed as everyone else. And if the world is overrun by brain ravenous zombies the carriers might go to some Pacific Island, send in the Marines to clear out the walkers and begin the task of repopulating the planet.
I beg to differ I think you could feed a lot of men from fishing deep sea fish are very large. Plus staying out till food ran out is a big possibility, remember if the world goes to hell I doubt there will be resupplies. Anyways I was being half assed serious.
Old 12-04-2012, 10:01 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,074 Posts

A carrier, or other Navy ship, would not last much beyond 30 days. Modern navies have very large logistical tails that keep them out to sea. The attack subs, however, would fair pretty good out to about 6 months on their own.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sue Doh Myn For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue Doh Myn View Post
A carrier, or other Navy ship, would not last much beyond 30 days. Modern navies have very large logistical tails that keep them out to sea. The attack subs, however, would fair pretty good out to about 6 months on their own.
What does that mean? Very large logistical tails?
Old 12-05-2012, 04:59 AM
Firefighter 129

Quote:
According to Wikipedia a Nimitz class carrier can go 20 years between refuelings. I doubt they would stay at sea that long. And I doubt they could feed 3,200 crewmen and women and 2,400 pilots by fishing.

I suppose how the SHTF would determine how the crew would react. If the US were hit by an EMP all the offshore military assets would go retaliate against the responsible party. If there were some sort of economic collapse, the carriers would probably just come home. If the Mayan calendar means the world is going to end in three weeks, the carriers are as hosed as everyone else. And if the world is overrun by brain ravenous zombies the carriers might go to some Pacific Island, send in the Marines to clear out the walkers and begin the task of repopulating the planet.
The testing for a focused EMP was successful in the desert this year.The newest military weapon is an EMP. This is the article where they tell you all about it being tested in the U.S. http://vr-zone.com/articles/lights-o...omb/18163.html There is a video link as well to watch it in action. The video was just recently, declassified.
Old 12-05-2012, 05:11 AM
Hiker

To kinda answer your question...

Ships were discussed in the movie "I Am Legend." While I don't remember the exact time, the survivor stated that they were out to sea for three months (??) before having to come in for supplies. Same occurred in "Resident Evil," but the disease got on board. And don't forget the carrier that slammed into the White House in "2012" while riding a tidal wave.

Almost every movie made them to be floating coffins. In real life? I doubt I'd join the Navy just to find out.
Old 12-05-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Now that I think about it... it makes sense that the A&P mechanics, armorers and the folks who keep the planes and helos flying should come with the aircraft and not stay with the ship. But what about the catapult operators and the flightline guys in the colored sweatshirts? Are they ships company or air wing folks?
Long story short, a majority of them are ships company. Air department on a carrier is huge. I can't talk to who does what on a carrier flight deck because I only did 2 work up cycles and 1 deployment on the carrier. Most of my time was stuck in Combat Direction Center.
The Following User Says Thank You to xzonie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-05-2012, 07:07 PM

Quote:
You are correct about logistics. A modern day non nuclear ship would run out of fuel before it ran out of food. Fuel is the life blood of a ship, without it you have no electricity, no means to cook or make water. When underway you are constantly taking a sip of fuel from a refueler or onloading stores/parts/food. Everyone calculates fuel for their cars by MPG, in the navy we calculate GPM for non nuclear ships.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:05 PM

But what about the nuclear powered subs and carriers?
The Following User Says Thank You to camopaint0707 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2013, 09:14 PM
Tin Can Sailor

Thanked 2,814 Times in 1,074 Posts

Ships would be out of food in about a month, if the sub was fully stocked maybe six months.
Old 08-15-2013, 09:18 PM
A Lone Star

Thanked 10,223 Times in 4,641 Posts

Quote:
Ships would be out of food in about a month, if the sub was fully stocked maybe six months.
6 months is no prob, food is the issue minus parts failure
Old 08-15-2013, 09:27 PM
Farmer

Thanked 22,300 Times in 9,064 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Helpful Post 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by camopaint0707 View Post
But what about the nuclear powered subs and carriers?
That is addressed previously in the thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to ForestBeekeeper For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2013, 09:41 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,219 Times in 450 Posts

Fast boats typically deploy for 6 months. But that's not to be interpreted as remaining on station for the entire stretch.

Sturgeon class fast attacks typically loaded out for 110 days. I doubt much has changed with newer subs.

There isn't enough space for six months of food, parts, etc. Even at 110 days, we were walking atop, sleeping between, and, yes, showering with #10 cans of food. Flour, coffee and grains were stored in 5 gallon tins in the Aux machinery space and in the engine room while the smaller stuff was in the torpedo room and berthing spaces. It was routine to have to wipe the lube oil off the cans before you could get a good enough grip to remove them from the outboard areas between the hull frames. Towards our first liberty port nearly 3 months later, we'd worked through all of the food and had to do another load out to get home.
The Following User Says Thank You to subvetssn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-15-2013, 09:52 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,219 Times in 450 Posts

To add something else to the thread, no one considers troops deployed abroad and the massive amount of equipment that's prestaged in Diego Garcia, Bahrain, and elsewhere to provide a quick response for global military emergencies.

http://www.msc.navy.mil/PM3/

http://www.globalsecurity.org/milita...army/aps-3.htm

The exact extent of the supplies is hard to pin down, but figure several brigades worth of tanks, HMVs, fuel, ammo, and accoutrement already aboard ship and ready to sail.

That's no small amount of equipment that could come home in a large enough SHTF scenario. This is one of the reasons I discount a 100% breakdown in government order.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:02 PM

Non nuke carriers did unrep [underway replenishment] Food, bunker oil, large parts, etc.

The COD also flew out about once a week, sometime more often. It carried the mail [MAIL!!!], along with pax and critical spare parts needed ASAP.

for the airwing, there would be maybe 7-10 AC maintainers for every pilot. I just can't remember any more.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:17 PM
Patient Zero of WWZ

Thanked 9,808 Times in 3,233 Posts

The first thing that would run out is food. Not sure how long they are supplied for, but I doubt they could go more than 3 months.

Fishing? To feed 6000 sailors? Hope someone brought lots of Para-chord, to make fishing nets with.

The next thing would be spare parts. They carry some, but not enough to last as long as the reactor fuel will last. Again, a few months.

The Navy does have supply ships that carry food and other things. According to the situation, where those supply ships are, that could extend things. But if you were on a supply ship, that had the last food in the world, would you give it away?

The nuke subs would last the longest. They leave port and stay underwater for 6 months. With rationing they carry enough food for close to a year. And some of them even have a woman or two aboard, so I hear.
The Following User Says Thank You to ShellbackBill For This Useful Post: