Survivalist Forum banner

Urban EDC

13K views 45 replies 29 participants last post by  IrishWill 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

I am currently building my EDC. I have it about 90% completed and wanted to know what you guys think of it and if you have any changes/ideas I could make to it.

My EDC is a 4 level system. My first level are the items I could not leave home without. My second level consists of important items, but I could survive without them. My second level consists mainly of tools I carry. My third level is made up of the items that I would carry in my jacket (or if I'm wearing cargo pants/shorts) my cargo pockets. My third level items are items I can live without, but I like having them with me. My fourth level consists of my EDC backpack, laptop bag, or 5.11 Tactical PUSH Pack.

Level 1
-Wallet
-Cellphone
-Keychain (housekey, Streamlight Nano, Swiss+Tech Utili-Key, County Comm Split Pea Lighter)

Level 2
-Homemade Mini Medi(TM)
-Gerber Dime
-Streamlight Stylus Pro or Preon 2AAA
-Gerber ParaframeI Camo

Level 3
-Altoids Tin Survival Kit
-Fisher Space Pen
-Rite in Rain Notepad
-Streamlight Ultra Compact ProTac 2L

Level 4
-EDC Backpack
I have 3 EDC Backpacks. They are tailored for different situations. I carry a 5.11 Tactical COVRT 18 as a full size EDC Backpack. I also carry a Swiss Gear laptop case that is my EDC pack for school settings/ business settings. I also carry a 5.11 Tactical PUSH Pack when I am in situations where I can't carry either my laptop bag or my COVRT 18.

Please give me suggestions on what I could do better or change or add or take out. I think my EDC is pretty solid, but I know that it can be changed.

Thanks,
IW

See less See more
#2 ·
I would add some type of striker to your key chain, and a lighter with a high alcohol content hand sanitizer with cotton balls with Vaseline to your pack.

Something to consider is always wearing a cotton t-shirt. A t-shirt can be use as emergency tp, a bandage/pressure bandage/tourniquet, firestarter and a dew rag and that just off the top of my head.

#3 ·
Gee, I almost carry more stuff on my keyring than in your level 1 & 2.
I hope you pack extra batteries for each of those flashlights that you list.

Me, I look at two levels, EDC on body carry and EDC pack carry.
Of the stuff I won't leave home with ON MY BODY includes a decent sized folding knife, multitool, bandana, defensive weapon, bic lighter, comb, flashlight, cellphone, paracord bracelet and keyring. On the keyring is keys(duh), medium S-biner, LED light, Peanut lighter, small ferro rod, 2" spyderco clone locking knife, approx. 3' paracord coil. And I use a "mechanic's keyring" from Countycomm.com which is a metal cable with a screw together fitting to easily add or remove items.

#4 ·
My every day carry for comparison and possible ideas:

Equivalent to your level 1:
cell phone - shirt pocket
Maglite Solitaire LED flashlight - left hip pocket
Redi-edge knife sharpener - #2 keychain, right front pocket
whistle - #2 keychain, right front pocket
Spare truck key - #2 keychain, right front pocket
pocket knife - right front pocket
medications - (in linked geo-cache tubes) in left front pocket
bandanna - right rear pocket
Bic lighter - left front pocket
Gentleman’s SAK - #3 keychain, left front pocket
Leatherman Micra - #3 keychain, left front pocket
appropriate clothing including wide brim hat, suspenders, belt, boots
Wallet w/ID, cash, debit card, insurance card, etc - left rear pocket
Rite-in-the-Rain notebook - shirt pocket
2 ink pens - shirt pocket
Keys & truck remote - #1 keychain, right front pocket

Equivalent to your level 2:
Added to belt when going afield
Wenger Survivor SAK
Leatherman Surge multi-tool w/bits

Equivalent to your level 3:
Tactical khaki shirt and pants, leather jacket in season
allweatherfirestarters.com magnesium bar/ferro bar/striker - left thigh pocket
2nd bandana - left thigh pocket
Zip-lock bag w/jerky & gorp, + a couple of Millennium bars - right thigh pocket
Surefire G2 LED flashlight in pouch on belt
Brass Zippo lighter w/fuel cell - in pouch on belt
2-liter SS water bottle - carabinered to belt or carried in hand, usually

Don't really have a level 4 EDC pack. Pretty much go up to the Get-home-bag, not something I carry on me, but have available when I'm in the vehicle.

Just my opinion and the way I do it.

#5 ·
my EDC;
Clothing appropriate for the climate, environment and task.
typically Light hiking boots
set of keys
Single AAA LED flashlight (16 hour minimum run time)
Pill bottle with aspirin
SAK victornox Tinker (one knife is plenty)
BIC lighter
Mag bar
Clean handkerchief, 1 ea.
occasionally a thumbnail drive
Spare key

wallet with;
$200 cash minimum
Credit cards
Fresnel lens
6 large fabric band aids
contact numbers and encoded account numbers

I have no use for cell phones.
I have no need to carry weapons in normal circumstances
I have no need to carry a purse/pack.
There are significant tools and first aid (and some other) supplies in all my vehicles and in the shop, no need for more than the SAK on my person.
I don't need to EDC food and/or water, in normal circumstances.
I have no need for "tactical" anything.

Enjoy!

#6 ·
Current EDC
On me:
2x CRKT M21-02 tactical folders (One large one small)
Wilderness Instructors Belt (Titanium)
1 Gen 3 Glock 19 in Safari Land 27 83 holster with modified C-clip
2X 15 round mags in Comptac single mag carriers
(My gun and mags are always concealed)
Blackberry
Car keys

In my Maxpedition bag:
Wallet
Gun License
Driver License
Id book
1X Tac light
4x spare bateries
1 X Sog Multi tool
1 Rat Izula knife
5m para cord
Quick sharp stone
Bic Lighter
Some spare Ellen keys
Surefire Earplugs 2 sets (never know when I’m hitting the shooting range)
5 x spare Glock 19 15 round mags

#7 ·
Thanks guys for commenting. Let me clear up a few things. These items are only the items I carry on my person. My Jeep or F-250 are both full of other items. Some items include a Remington 870(one in each vehicle), my GHB(this rotates between vehicles), extra ammo(ammo cans in each vehicle), a Sig Sauer 516 Patrol(rotates between vehicles), and ALWAYS a full gas tank in each vehicle.

Moirlend, what type of striker do you mean? Are you talking about a striker like a Cold Steel Koga or Delta Dart or a striker like a walking stick or hiking staff?

boomerweps, I do carry extra batteries in my pack and Altoids tin. With all of the items you carry, do you find that they make your pants/jacket too heavy? I have been looking at the Clone and wonder how you like it?

Jerry D Young, first of all, I can't believe I am talking with THE Jerry D Young!!!! Wow, you carry a lot of items with you. Thank you so much for sharing, the items you carry have given me several ideas on how to adapt my EDC.

Happy Joe, this list has given me several ideas. I think I could integrate a few items into the items I carry in my pants when hiking/hunting.

WarlordG26,how do you like the G19? I have the G17 and G26 for 9X19 and the G20SF and the G21 Gen4. I was wondering how you like the G19, because I currently carry my G26 in my EDC bag, but I would like a little larger gun. Also, have you thought about using the 5.11 COVRT Pistol Pouch as an option when carrying. I use the Pistol Pouch and love it. I carry it in my backpack, so I can put it on my waist or attach it to the backpack if something bad happens. It also fits very into a jacket very well, and I can even stick it in the small of my back when I'm carrying. I can stick my 26 in with a mag in the gun and one in the pipe, along with 2 extra G17 mags.

#10 ·
I have a maxpedition micro EDC
its got a single AAA cree torch and spare battery
Leatherman Micra ( great little knife happy to see Jerry carries the same)
one of those stainless steel pill carriers with 1 pain killer and 1 bandaid
spare phone battery
wallet

loose in pockets
lighter
keys
phone

I have found that I can do most of what I need and want with this small set up
I like you have a more thorough get home bag in the car and a small cache near work

#11 ·
I don't have a cache right near work. My nearest cache to work is 12.7 miles away by my GPS. I have caches all around the city. I like that you have a extra cellphone battery. I need to integrate that, because I have a wall charger at work and a lighter charger in the car, but if I can't reach either an extra battery would be invaluable.

#13 ·
To tell you the truth I got my G26 first and I EDC it for now almost 2 years. I got the G19 about 6 months ago and it’s been my primary EDC since then. I also have a G17 but I use that primarily as my sport gun. The G19 is simply awesome and I doubt I will ever carry another gun, except if I really have to deep conceal and use my G26. The G19 is exactly what it is, the in-between gun between the G26 and G17.

I like the idea of having 5 more beans than the 26 and only 3 less than the
17. I enjoy shooting the 19 a lot and it is definitely a Glock to have. If money permits I would like to get another G19 but a Gen 4. Capacity this side of the world is king and the reason being is, because our criminals hits in gang of 4 and more and they do have a tendency to stay and fight. Pulling out a gun, firing a warning shot does not chase them away. It will make them more determined to fight you and kill you to get your gun. That is also the reason I carry so much spare mags. I don’t really feel outgunned with the 26. I still adore mine and I will never sell it, I just think the G19 is that perfect balance. When I travel to my in-laws I will carry both my 19 and 26. I use the 26 as a mainly as a BUG nowadays.

You yourself have a fine choice of Glocks. A 10mm and 45, both legends. I personally believe the Gen 4 21 to be one of the best Glocks ever made. Such a sweet soft shooting 45. I can also see a 45 Glock in the near future if money permits, but for now I have standardized on 9mm and 5.56/223 and .308. I have S&W .38 M60 that I still need to license which will become my wife’s standard sidearm in a SHTF situation.
Glocks are so cheap in the US I would definitely get a G19 if I were you.

#16 ·
Thank you for your advice about the G19, my local Bass Pro just got one in and it looks like it will be mine soon. I would definitely get the G21. Before I had the Gen4, I had the Gen 2. I loved the 2, but sold it to get the 4. The 21 has more of a push recoil than a flip recoil and the wife would love it. My GF loves my 21.

#14 ·
All great suggestions, just return the push pack and get its twin the Maxpedition Jumbo. 5.11 has not fixed the flaws on the push pack.

When you close the push pack with pens in the pen holder, if they are the push button pens it will open the pens EVERY TIME! If they are the pens with caps on them they will wear right through the top of the bag in a short time. 5.11 is well aware of this, but has done nothing to remedy this and lower the pen compartment area of the bags, making this compartment area useless and you a victim.

Otherwise you are doing great, it will always be a work in progress.

#15 ·
Sometimes I think we get carried away with equip and/or confuse the intention of diff. systems. To me EDC is for making sure u can get to ur vehicle in which u should have a GHB.

That being said my EDC consists of a Victorinox camper knife, a keychain LED mini-lite, a fully charged cell phone, and a .380 auto. Anything else is too much to carry in my neck of the woods where most of the time its so hot that everybody wears shorts and polo shirts.

#17 ·
IMHO, you guys are getting "carried away" with your every day carry.

Cash, a phone, a flash light, knife, and pistol will suffice for most emergencies. Police officers handle emergencies multiple times per day but don't carry a ton of tools and gadgets, but to each their own.

Of the items on my duty belt I use

handcuffs / hand cuff key (tool of the trade)
latex and leather gloves (protective equipment)
pistol (defense)
phone / radio (comms)
flash light (sight and safety)
pen / notebook (logs)

95% of the time

Other tools I may use the other 5% is

- a "blow out" med kit
- first aid kit
- knife
- credit card
- rifle
- rain gear
- high visibility traffic gear
- Level III body armor
- fire extinguisher

I have NEVER in 3 years time, had an emergency that required a

- signaling mirror
- lighter
- ear plugs
- multiple knives
- baton
- grappling hook
- micro towels
- fish hooks
- paracord
- sharpening stone
- vaseline soaked cottons balls

leave all that in the car

and only a very few times (less than 1%) used

- Taser
- baton
- pepper spray
- breaching equipment
- binoculars
- back up flash lights
- extra batteries
- extra clothes (underwear, socks, under shirt)
- extra pair of boots
- gas mask
- hazmat suit
- boonie hat
- ball cap
- wind breaker
- heavy jacket
- bag with meals and extra water
- spare tire, lug nut wrench, and jack

I don't know how you guys could ever run with all that mess in your pockets.

#21 ·
on my keys: SOLAS whistle, P50 can opener (works as screwdriver), small LED flashlight (flat type takes a CR235? battery), and a 'key knife' from Harbor Freight. its all on one ring, and easily 'dis-mountable' if you get hassled by "Security Timmy" (usually a rookie cop trying to impress somebody). The more 'senior' LEOs tend to ignore this slight breach of 'security'... (I like hiding in plain sight ;P) There are more goodies in my van, but for walking about in public this ring, an SAK, multi-tool or an electricians knife (makes you look like a tradesman and not a 'dangerous person') and a bic lighter are more than sufficient.

#24 ·
The only thing I haven't used of my EDC is the whistle. Everything else has been used multiple times, though not for emergencies, just daily life, thus, every day carry. Well, can't really say not for emergencies, they were events that were emergencies to the other people that needed the use of the items. Just wasn't an emergency to me.

Just my opinion.

#26 ·
Maybe I'm confused, but do all you really carry everything you've listed on your person every day? I can't imagine carrying all of that stuff in my pockets just for a trip to the store or something.

On my person I usually carry:
-cash/wallet
-cell phone
-small keychain multi-tool
-knife with seatbelt cutter/window punch combo
-small flashlight/penlight
-a small can of "Freeze +P 2K3"
-occasionally a Baofeng UV-3R VHF/UHF radio
That's really all I've ever needed to have with me at all times. All of my other stuff I carry in my car since I'm usually close to it when I'm out somewhere.

In my car I carry:
-fully-stocked first aid kit(too much to list, but all essential first aid items)
-Lifehammer rescue tool
-Rayovac LED floating lantern
-maglite
-cans of food
-24 pack of water bottles
-toilet paper
-jump starter
-tarp
-rope
-gas mask for tear gas
-jumper cables
-basic tool kit
-12v compressor
-12v spotlight
-2 wool emergency blankets
-"fix-a-flat"
-FlareAlert 9.1.1 LED flares
-safety glasses
-fire extinguisher
-mobile CB radio
-2M VHF radio
-800mhz scanner
-small shortwave receiver
-extra fluids(oil, trans, antifreeze, etc.)
-extra bulbs
-duct tape
-electrical tape
-fully stocked GHB(won't list it all here)

#28 ·
On my Person:
-iphone
-car keys, house key, grocery keychain card
-peanut lighter
-Swiss Army midnight manager: scissors, knife, file/flathead (I also use this as a small pry bar, not sure if that's wise), phillips/bottle-opener/wire-stripper, LED light (not as bright as a photon, but reduces bulk and it works), pen
^^the above are all on a keychain that fits comfortably in my relatively tight jeans
-skinny bifold wallet made of ballistic nylon. always have a check, some paper cards, few bills and cards
-analog watch with bezel timer

work bag:
a few food bars, a nalgene, a larger swiss army (will upgrade to a leatherman soon), a photon LED light, a bic, small thing of hand sanitizer, bandaids, antiseptic wipes, wet ones wipes, travel tissues, chap stick, lotion, sunscreen, eye drops, tylenol/advil/allergy meds, sunglasses, paracord lanyard w/ whistle, iphone charger

Car:
Umbrella, parisol, large thick towel, change of clothes, clothes for whatever is the opposite of the current weather, bigger thing of disinfecting wipes, a larger knife (currently a gerber folder, don't know model), chap stick, sunscreen, space blanket, food bars, car stuff (tire gauges, tire goo, etc.)

I need some sort of low-maintenance water solution for my car, but I just haven't come up with anything really easy and I almost always have my nalgene anyway.

#29 ·
My EDC consists of wallet, cell phone, keychain with house and vehicle keys and a bottle opener (the most useful tool I have :D: ), folding pocket knife and a Springfield XDs. If I'm out in the boonies I have an LED flashlight in the truck I'll slip into my pocket.

The truck contains my 24 hour bag which is designed to allow me to walk home from work, 20 miles, tools, spare magazines and ammo, food and water. I don't see the point of loading myself down with stuff, if something happens that is bad enough to prevent me from getting to my truck the chances are that anything that would fit in my pockets isn't going to help anyway.

#30 ·
As a fellow Arizonan, I don't know how you can survive without some Burt's Bees lip balm, unless you're not in one of the hotter parts of the state =)

Your EDC is definitely basic, and does cover a lot of bases, but like many others here, my paranoia runs far too deep not to have more on me.

Like you, this doesn't count what's in the vehicle (water being the #1 item here).

On my person:
Handgun + plenty 'o ammo
Zero Tolerance 0350 (BEST knife I've ever had, hands down.)
Wallet with spare cash
Surefire E2D LED Defender
Keys (duh)
Android phone
Revision Hellfly ballistic rated sunglasses
Burt's Bees lip balm

I don't do the mini multi tool thing, or dangle junk off my keychain as I just can't stand the bulk in my pocket. Wearing cargo pants, the above spreads out nicely.

In my man purse:
1 liter of water in a Sigg bottle
Leatherman MUT
Surefire 6PX Pro with red filter and Nite Ize holster
5.11 ATAC PLuv (UV led mini flashlight)
Rite-in-rain notepad and pen
Contact lens eye drops (dry eyes suck)
Spare Burt's Bees lip balm
4in Izzy bandage
OD Green Nitrile gloves
SOF Tourniquet
Micro 1st aid kit (band aids, wipes, some 5x9 pads, small roll of gauze, in a Loksak
Pelican 1030 case with spare prescription glasses, cleaning cloths, and contacts
Large triangular bandage kept loose near the top of the bag
6x CR123a batteries in a waterproof case
Sanyo Eneloop USB charger (5000mah, strong enough to recharge a tablet)
Streamlight Sidewinder (red, blue, white, IR)
Yaesu VX-7R with extra battery, 17in whip dual band antenna, and short 3in stubby antenna, as well as waterproof speakermic

Lotta stuff, but it packs down nicely and covers quite a few bases for my needs. Of course, the man-purse route isn't for everyone.

#33 ·
For my edc I have a maxpedition jumbo versipack with a trauma kit a water bottle some goodies from a mre a few cliff bars a leatherman wingman and a streamlight polytac I think that's whats it called I have some zip ties water purification tablets and a gerber fast draw a Bonnie hat a shamgeh some Kim lights a compass some pens and a note pad some fire starters and a Zippo lighter a nice fixed blade knife some duct tape and some electrical tape a few carabeaners some 550 cord a space blanket and a map of the area and some extra cash

#34 ·
Honestly, I think you're a gear head who is focusing too much on all the cool "stuff" he's carrying around, and not enough on what your practical needs are.

For instance, you're carrying a "Streamlight Ultra Compact ProTac 2L," which is your THIRD flashlight (can't you just say "flashlight?").

But there is no mention of emergency cash and an emergency credit card (not just whatever happens to be in your wallet after a Friday night out on the town, but dedicated emergency funds)?

Or how about a charging cable for that cell phone?

And there's not a single personal item there that leads me to believe this is your personal EDC, and not just a list of stuff that you found sitting on the shelf in your local gun shop's "prepper" aisle.

My 11 month old is better (more practically) prepared with her diaper bag...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.