Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Urban Survival
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Urban Survival Urban survival and disaster preparedness including hurricanes, earthquakes, floods and anything else.

Advertise Here

Old 06-07-2013, 10:19 PM
Archetypal Anarchist

Advertise Here

on my keys: SOLAS whistle, P50 can opener (works as screwdriver), small LED flashlight (flat type takes a CR235? battery), and a 'key knife' from Harbor Freight. its all on one ring, and easily 'dis-mountable' if you get hassled by "Security Timmy" (usually a rookie cop trying to impress somebody). The more 'senior' LEOs tend to ignore this slight breach of 'security'... (I like hiding in plain sight ;P) There are more goodies in my van, but for walking about in public this ring, an SAK, multi-tool or an electricians knife (makes you look like a tradesman and not a 'dangerous person') and a bic lighter are more than sufficient.
The Following User Says Thank You to AzureLupine For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 05:28 PM
Freedom Loving Patriot

Quote:
Originally Posted by FskJester View Post
If your wife allows you to have guns and a GF then you don't need edc items because people that lucky don't run into shtf situations.
I should have said this in a different way. I AM NOT married.(Thank God. This means I can still keep doing stupid stuff. Haha) I have a GF, but not a wife. I was replying to WarlordG26, because he had talked about his wife and his Glocks. Sorry about the confusion.
Old 06-08-2013, 05:48 PM
VIP Member

Thanked 1,126 Times in 335 Posts
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BJJ_Grappler View Post
IMHO, you guys are getting "carried away" with your every day carry.

Cash, a phone, a flash light, knife, and pistol will suffice for most emergencies. Police officers handle emergencies multiple times per day but don't carry a ton of tools and gadgets, but to each their own.

Of the items on my duty belt I use

handcuffs / hand cuff key (tool of the trade)
latex and leather gloves (protective equipment)
pistol (defense)
phone / radio (comms)
flash light (sight and safety)
pen / notebook (logs)

95% of the time

Other tools I may use the other 5% is

- a "blow out" med kit
- first aid kit
- knife
- credit card
- rifle
- rain gear
- high visibility traffic gear
- Level III body armor
- fire extinguisher

I have NEVER in 3 years time, had an emergency that required a

- signaling mirror
- lighter
- ear plugs
- multiple knives
- baton
- grappling hook
- micro towels
- fish hooks
- paracord
- sharpening stone
- vaseline soaked cottons balls

leave all that in the car

and only a very few times (less than 1%) used

- Taser
- baton
- pepper spray
- breaching equipment
- binoculars
- back up flash lights
- extra batteries
- extra clothes (underwear, socks, under shirt)
- extra pair of boots
- gas mask
- hazmat suit
- boonie hat
- ball cap
- wind breaker
- heavy jacket
- bag with meals and extra water
- spare tire, lug nut wrench, and jack

I don't know how you guys could ever run with all that mess in your pockets.
Ditto

That damn baton. It's so high on the use of force matrix, the only thing it's good for is moving branches and spiderwebs out of the way and very very rarely breaking a window.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now." Colonel Robert J. Coates, USMC
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Muddyrubberduck For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2013, 06:47 PM
www.jerrydyoung.com

Thanked 41,080 Times in 5,652 Posts
Awards Showcase
Outstanding Thread 
Total Awards: 1

The only thing I haven't used of my EDC is the whistle. Everything else has been used multiple times, though not for emergencies, just daily life, thus, every day carry. Well, can't really say not for emergencies, they were events that were emergencies to the other people that needed the use of the items. Just wasn't an emergency to me.

Just my opinion.
Old 06-10-2013, 09:19 PM
Tactical disadvantage

Some kind of pry tool and some bandannas. I carry a 7 inch pry bar in my EDC bag and a Gerber Shard on my keys. I carry two bandannas one is bright orange and the other is camo.
The Following User Says Thank You to Punisher For This Useful Post:
Old 06-11-2013, 10:01 PM

Maybe I'm confused, but do all you really carry everything you've listed on your person every day? I can't imagine carrying all of that stuff in my pockets just for a trip to the store or something.

On my person I usually carry:
-cash/wallet
-cell phone
-small keychain multi-tool
-knife with seatbelt cutter/window punch combo
-small flashlight/penlight
-a small can of "Freeze +P 2K3"
-occasionally a Baofeng UV-3R VHF/UHF radio
That's really all I've ever needed to have with me at all times. All of my other stuff I carry in my car since I'm usually close to it when I'm out somewhere.

In my car I carry:
-fully-stocked first aid kit(too much to list, but all essential first aid items)
-Lifehammer rescue tool
-Rayovac LED floating lantern
-maglite
-cans of food
-24 pack of water bottles
-toilet paper
-jump starter
-tarp
-rope
-gas mask for tear gas
-jumper cables
-basic tool kit
-12v compressor
-12v spotlight
-2 wool emergency blankets
-"fix-a-flat"
-FlareAlert 9.1.1 LED flares
-safety glasses
-fire extinguisher
-mobile CB radio
-2M VHF radio
-800mhz scanner
-small shortwave receiver
-extra fluids(oil, trans, antifreeze, etc.)
-extra bulbs
-duct tape
-electrical tape
-fully stocked GHB(won't list it all here)
The Following User Says Thank You to ALprepper For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 09:43 PM

Add a wonder bar or catspaw. Nameen?
The Following User Says Thank You to vibrantyoshi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2013, 02:02 PM

On my Person:
-iphone
-car keys, house key, grocery keychain card
-peanut lighter
-Swiss Army midnight manager: scissors, knife, file/flathead (I also use this as a small pry bar, not sure if that's wise), phillips/bottle-opener/wire-stripper, LED light (not as bright as a photon, but reduces bulk and it works), pen
^^the above are all on a keychain that fits comfortably in my relatively tight jeans
-skinny bifold wallet made of ballistic nylon. always have a check, some paper cards, few bills and cards
-analog watch with bezel timer

work bag:
a few food bars, a nalgene, a larger swiss army (will upgrade to a leatherman soon), a photon LED light, a bic, small thing of hand sanitizer, bandaids, antiseptic wipes, wet ones wipes, travel tissues, chap stick, lotion, sunscreen, eye drops, tylenol/advil/allergy meds, sunglasses, paracord lanyard w/ whistle, iphone charger

Car:
Umbrella, parisol, large thick towel, change of clothes, clothes for whatever is the opposite of the current weather, bigger thing of disinfecting wipes, a larger knife (currently a gerber folder, don't know model), chap stick, sunscreen, space blanket, food bars, car stuff (tire gauges, tire goo, etc.)

I need some sort of low-maintenance water solution for my car, but I just haven't come up with anything really easy and I almost always have my nalgene anyway.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:07 AM

My EDC consists of wallet, cell phone, keychain with house and vehicle keys and a bottle opener (the most useful tool I have ), folding pocket knife and a Springfield XDs. If I'm out in the boonies I have an LED flashlight in the truck I'll slip into my pocket.

The truck contains my 24 hour bag which is designed to allow me to walk home from work, 20 miles, tools, spare magazines and ammo, food and water. I don't see the point of loading myself down with stuff, if something happens that is bad enough to prevent me from getting to my truck the chances are that anything that would fit in my pockets isn't going to help anyway.
The Following User Says Thank You to MikeMGB For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2013, 02:31 PM
Target Shooter

As a fellow Arizonan, I don't know how you can survive without some Burt's Bees lip balm, unless you're not in one of the hotter parts of the state =)

Your EDC is definitely basic, and does cover a lot of bases, but like many others here, my paranoia runs far too deep not to have more on me.

Like you, this doesn't count what's in the vehicle (water being the #1 item here).

On my person:
Handgun + plenty 'o ammo
Zero Tolerance 0350 (BEST knife I've ever had, hands down.)
Wallet with spare cash
Surefire E2D LED Defender
Keys (duh)
Android phone
Revision Hellfly ballistic rated sunglasses
Burt's Bees lip balm

I don't do the mini multi tool thing, or dangle junk off my keychain as I just can't stand the bulk in my pocket. Wearing cargo pants, the above spreads out nicely.

In my man purse:
1 liter of water in a Sigg bottle
Leatherman MUT
Surefire 6PX Pro with red filter and Nite Ize holster
5.11 ATAC PLuv (UV led mini flashlight)
Rite-in-rain notepad and pen
Contact lens eye drops (dry eyes suck)
Spare Burt's Bees lip balm
4in Izzy bandage
OD Green Nitrile gloves
SOF Tourniquet
Micro 1st aid kit (band aids, wipes, some 5x9 pads, small roll of gauze, in a Loksak
Pelican 1030 case with spare prescription glasses, cleaning cloths, and contacts
Large triangular bandage kept loose near the top of the bag
6x CR123a batteries in a waterproof case
Sanyo Eneloop USB charger (5000mah, strong enough to recharge a tablet)
Streamlight Sidewinder (red, blue, white, IR)
Yaesu VX-7R with extra battery, 17in whip dual band antenna, and short 3in stubby antenna, as well as waterproof speakermic

Lotta stuff, but it packs down nicely and covers quite a few bases for my needs. Of course, the man-purse route isn't for everyone.
The Following User Says Thank You to thoreau For This Useful Post:
Old 07-11-2013, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FskJester View Post
If your wife allows you to have guns and a GF then you don't need edc items because people that lucky don't run into shtf situations.
This may be the best response I've ever seen to anything on the internet.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Breakfast For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 12:43 PM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,075 Times in 5,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddyrubberduck View Post
That damn baton. It's so high on the use of force matrix, the only thing it's good for is moving branches and spiderwebs out of the way and very very rarely breaking a window.
*Update* first time in 3 years I used the baton. *gasp* not for beating someone either.

We had a well-being check on a man who hadn't been heard from in awhile. I got to the house and he had a ~12 foot courtyard wall and we couldn't see inside the windows because they were too high up.

The only way to get to his front door was the courtyard gate. Climbing over it was not much of an option because there was little room for a body to fit through between the gate and roof.

After a boost up from another officer, I had was able to swing my arm over enough to turn the knob from the inside with the use of my baton. Success!

We made contact with the man who was sick and he was OK, his cell phone was broken and he hadn't bought a new one yet.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:08 PM

For my edc I have a maxpedition jumbo versipack with a trauma kit a water bottle some goodies from a mre a few cliff bars a leatherman wingman and a streamlight polytac I think that's whats it called I have some zip ties water purification tablets and a gerber fast draw a Bonnie hat a shamgeh some Kim lights a compass some pens and a note pad some fire starters and a Zippo lighter a nice fixed blade knife some duct tape and some electrical tape a few carabeaners some 550 cord a space blanket and a map of the area and some extra cash
Old 07-14-2013, 08:27 PM
Keep It Simple, Stupid

Honestly, I think you're a gear head who is focusing too much on all the cool "stuff" he's carrying around, and not enough on what your practical needs are.

For instance, you're carrying a "Streamlight Ultra Compact ProTac 2L," which is your THIRD flashlight (can't you just say "flashlight?").

But there is no mention of emergency cash and an emergency credit card (not just whatever happens to be in your wallet after a Friday night out on the town, but dedicated emergency funds)?

Or how about a charging cable for that cell phone?

And there's not a single personal item there that leads me to believe this is your personal EDC, and not just a list of stuff that you found sitting on the shelf in your local gun shop's "prepper" aisle.

My 11 month old is better (more practically) prepared with her diaper bag...
Old 07-16-2013, 12:47 AM
Allergic to Bull****

Thanked 15,075 Times in 5,349 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDedo View Post
My 11 month old is better (more practically) prepared with her diaper bag...
Better get some ice for that

The Following User Says Thank You to BJJ_Grappler For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2013, 08:38 PM

I EDC a Swiss gear backpack everyday. All black, no one ever asks or cares about it. In it I carry the essentials for me of possible needed items in a pinch, rare occurrence or every day issues.

-Galaxy s3 cellphone
-Maxpedition pocket organizer: extra cell battery, mini mag, knife sharpener, glow stick, pen, extra crappy knife, magnesium fire starter, small poncho
-Medicine including antacid, pain reliever, allergy/nasal decongestant, eye drops
- Small FAK
- Headphone ear buds
- Current book
- iPad
- Surefire G2 LED
- Water bottle
- S&W M&P Shield 9mm with extra mag
- Nutrigrain bar
- 50 feet 550 cord
- Stainless pocket watch with compass, thermometer, and magnifying glass.
- Leatherman Blast

So far this carry bag has proven useful in all sorts of ways at various times. Not really anything in there I can say I've never used, if so I got rid of it already. Never been searched with the bag, but opening up the main pocket would look like a book, water, and empty space. Love the bag for what it is and how normal it looks.
Old 07-17-2013, 01:58 PM

My EDC,

On me at all times

Paracord bracelet
Watch
HTC Phone
Springfield XD .45 and 2 spare mags (13rd magazine)
Gerber Multi Tool
SOG Aegis folder
20' of paracord in right cargo pocket
Camo Bandanna in left cargo pocket
Zippo (don't smoke)
Flint and Steel
Streamlight Stylus flashlight
Burt's Bees lip balm (at least one lol)

In my EDC Bag

2 more magazines for the Springfield
100 rds .45 Hornady Critical Defense
Small FAK
black nitrile gloves
Black Mechanics gloves
2 bic lighters
waterproof matches
3l camelback water pouch
4-5 Cliff bars
2 packages of Tuna
1 package of spam
SOG Seal Pup
Kershaw Ken Onion folder
1 AA LED Flashlight
1 Streamlight rechargable flashlight (have 2 more in the Jeep)
Cotton balls with Vaseline
Burt's Bees Lip balm
Glow stick
My Tablet

I almost forgot my Yaesu VX7R that is either in the bag or on me. Extra battery in bag as well as an extra antenna
Old 07-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Trapper

Thanked 1,598 Times in 659 Posts

A lot of interesting items being carried here.

My EDC:
Wallet with cash, cards, essential ID and licenses
3-blade folder
Keychain with...keys
Small caliber carry gun
Belt
I always have shoelaces of some type

In my truck I carry extra ammo, more knives, fire starting aids ( flint striker, lighter), rope/cordage, small toolkit, flashlight, two fly rods complete with assorted flies, and other items that don't come immediately to mind.

In my office/workplace, which is only 14 miles from home, I have a complete Tool and Die facility, tons (literally) of various sizes and types of wire, all kind of cool machine shop stuffs that can be pressed into service, and as I am self employed I have the freedom to keep an assortment of other firearms there as well. I have ran, recently, a half marathon(13.1 miles) in 2:15:35, and with that in mind I am confident that I can make the trek home, through the countryside, in 4 - 5 hours easily, day or night. I have great night vision and as a result I prefer to use no light at night when wandering about, camping or whatever, as it seriously diminishes my actual field of view, so the flashlight is mostly for other people that may be along.

I know I have a lot to learn, but at this time, this is me.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:05 PM
Curmudgeon in training

When I think Every Day Carry (EDC) I am working more along the lines of what I carry on my person as opposed to what I have off person. For example in one pocket I have a small Gerber LED light, Gerber DIME tool and Gerber pen knife. This pocket also has my change and bills in it. Other pocket has a small handgun. Kahr PM9, S&W model 638 or in the bigger pocket pants a Glock 26. Always at least one and often two. Two cell phones on the belt. Mine and my Employers as well as a small pouch with a larger Gerber Multitool. Also have in specialty pockets a larger Gerber folding knife and a Streamlight flashlight. Then there is the wallet and credential case holding up my rear!

Every thing else is basicly in a work bag if needed or the GHB in the car. When on duty that stuff is not available since I have a bunch of COP gear provided by my office for work.

I usually have a work bag with me with an IPad, notebook and other miscellaneous administrative items but not always. EDC to me is what's in my pockets.
Old 07-19-2013, 08:11 AM
Hunter

Don't know why everyone always go light. I love this bag. This is the bag I take with me when ever I leave the house. It has a 1 Liter Water Blatter and a Goal Zero Nomad 7 Solar Panel on the front of it in order to keep my phone charged constantly when ever I'm out. No dead battery for me. Also the bag is a Outdoor Products Day Pack.