Survivalist Forum

Advertise Here

Go Back   Survivalist Forum > Survival & Preparedness Forum > Farming, Gardening & Homesteading
Articles Chat Room Classifieds Donations Gallery Groups Links Store Survival Files

Farming, Gardening & Homesteading Country lifestyle, homesteading and living off the grid.

Advertise Here

Old 02-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Advertise Here

http://www.wbparts.com/rfq/8920-01-328-8479.html ha! check this out! I bet they don't have them any more, but I submitted a request. Starting to feel a little obsessed...
Old 02-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Hunter

Thanked 1,848 Times in 868 Posts

This recipie is Monster cookies. They are not at all controversial, everybody loves em. But I see them as highly nutricious too.

6 eggs 2C pressed brown sugar 2C white sugar 11/2 tsp vanilla 11/2 tbs corn syrup 4 tsp baking soda 1/2 lb margerine 11/2 lb peanut butter 9 C oatmeal 1 C mini M&Ms 11/4 C mini choco chips. Mix in the order given Bake about 11-12 min at 325deg.

Made this way you get about 10 doz standard cookies. I have been baking the dough for about 1/2 hour in a jar. filled about 3/4 full. Screw on a tight lid and I think they may last a long time, but I haven't tested them well yet.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 AM

Default Oatmeal cookie bars

I really love the oatmeal cookie bars as well. The brick and the chocolate covered cookies were my favorite. They had that awesome taste. Try the toffee cookies in todays mres. They taste very similar to the old school brick oatmeal cookies. Im hoping sterling foods has cases of the old bricks in some warehouse that I can buy. I love them.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 AM

Let me know what happens, please!!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:14 PM
Crusty, Crunchy and Cute

Thanked 5,326 Times in 1,870 Posts

I was never exposed to MRE's, they came in after I was long gone out of uniform but here is our family back packing granola cookie

Lemon Ginger Granola

2 cups rolled oats
1/4 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
3 Tbsp brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1 Tbsp vegetable oil
Juice and zest of 1 lemon
1 Tbsp grated fresh ginger
1/4 cup golden raisins
1/4 cup candied ginger, chopped

Preheat oven to 250° F. Combine the oats, wheat germ, nuts and brown sugar. In a separate bowl, combine the honey, lemon zest and juice and grated ginger. Combine both mixtures, tossing very well to combine. Pour onto a cookie sheet and spread out evenly. Bake, stirring every 15 minutes until the mixture is as dark as you’d like it to be. If you aren't into lemon or ginger just leave them out or substitute something else. I like to substitute figs or dates for the raisins for a change or the little cranberry bits you can get sometimes.

Allow to cool. cut to size and store in a air-tight container. At home I have a wide mouthed gallon jar with a screw on lid, in my pack they are kept in a baggie.

I love them when I am hunting and I used to walk miles before sitting down to take a break. Today they sit on the ledge next to my revolver in my deer stand until I cant take it anymore. Then I break open the thermos and cookie and appease mine and the chickadee's appetite. Sometimes the Junco and/or the yellow finch will join in but always the chickadee's.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:56 AM

Default Recipe located

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtticusFinch View Post
Call me crazy, but I LOVE MRE oatmeal cookie bars. In fact, it pretty much the only thing from MRE's that I really like.

I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for making them, or something like them???
I realize that this is thread necromancy of the nth degree but I not only discovered this fine MB while searching for a recipe for Oatmeal Cookie bars, I have located said recipe. Since this is the only place where I have found anyone else professing a love for the damn things ( I also had a love for the Omelet MRE ), I had to write back.

I remembered from my time in the Army that there is a standard for every single thing in the inventory so after a bit of digging I found the standard for oatmeal cookie bars (MIL-O-44136C NOT 1 in case you are curious) , which also give the recipe by weight, as follows:

Ingredients: Percent by Weight

Sugar,granulated,extra fine 28.80
oats, rolled 28.80
Shortening,vegetable 14.80
Flour,wheat 13.40
egg, 5.90
Water 4.85
Mineral premix 1.35
Syrup,corn 1.00
Baking soda 0.50
salt 0.50
Flavoring,vanilla 0.10

Missing from this is the directions for using frozen or dried eggs in the cookies, which is likely pointless for most folks as these are more for industrial baking. Not sure what mineral premix is either. Likely the gov't sponsored vitamins & minerals to balance the MRE's RDI.

Directions are as follows:

a. Blend the mineral premix ard the granulated sugar together
thoroughly.
b. mix all ingredients together in a ribbon blender or other suitable
mixer.
c. Form the dough into appropriate shape and thickness to assure
complete cooking.
d. Bake at 375 deg F until baked using a standard oven or suitable method
for complete cooking. Suggested final moisture content is approximately 3 to
4 percent.
e. Let cool until firm.
f. Grind cookies into friable crumbs. A particle size similar to granola cereal is suitable.
g. Compress crumbs into bars to produce bars complying with finished product requirements.

When I get some free time, I'll be breaking out the kitchen scale and rolled oats. Bon Appetit fellow culinary masochists.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tcar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-13-2012, 03:45 AM
Ron Swanson 2016

Thanked 25,464 Times in 13,320 Posts
Awards Showcase
Top Poster 
Total Awards: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChapNelson View Post
Take a sheet of 1" particle board, and cut it into 1x4" blocks. Before eating, put 1/2 packet of sugar on your tongue. If you close your eyes, you won't know the difference :D
Damn that was funny. True, but funny.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 PM

Default ha

this thread is obviously dead but i just wanted to say that there are people who like(d) this stuff.
In South Korea, MREs make their way to some civilian markets from US troops stationed in S.Korea, I think it was illegal so the stores that had them didn't have them displayed, but you could ask if they got some MREs and the store owners would go to their storage and bring back the stuff to sell, i think it was around like 3000~5000(KRW3 to 5 bucks) each. There must have been US soldiers who snuck them out and sold em for some cash...

Anyways when I was a kid, my mom would sometimes bring home two MREs, one for my brother and one for me. We didn't really care about the taste, it was fun with all the self-cooking heat pack thingy and different entrees and sides lol
Well this oatmeal cookie bar is one thing I remember. Dry as brick but I really liked the taste. I remember it being not that sweet and funny taste to it.
My brother also liked it so we'd always fight over it.
This brings back memories
This summer I suddenly remembered about this and ended up buying a 12 meal-box but the menus changed obviously..it's been so long ago.

shame they don't make this anymore...but I bet somewhere they're sitting stored in boxes..
Old 04-07-2013, 12:05 AM

I've been following this site for a while and joined today just to comment on this thread.

I remember as a kid back in the late 70s my dad brought home a case of MRE's that someone had given him and gave it to me.

I remember that the instruction with the oatmeal pack said that it could be used 3 ways. It could be (1) eaten as an oatmeal cookie, or (2) mixed with hot water and turned into oatmeal, and (3) something else that I don't remember... may used a hammer or something.

But I too have been searching for a way to make something like them for some homemade MRE packs. They don't need to be as compressed. An oatmeal cookie that could also be used to make hot oatmeal would be great in an MRE.

P.S. my favorite part of those MRE kits was the little 3 pack of Camel cigarettes (not 3 packs but a tiny pack with 3 cigarettes). I don't think my dad knew it at the time, but he was supplying me and my friends with our first smokes.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:05 PM
Non Sheeple

Try this one:-
Sweet oatmeal hard tack.
60g medium oatmeal;
60g wholemeal flour;
1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda;
pinch of salt;
30g golden caster sugar.
2 tablespoons Horlicks powder

Stir in
1 tablespoon of melted lard,
5 tablespoons of boiling water and mix to a REALLY stiff dough.

It shouldn't stick to your hands. If it does, add more oatmeal AND flour.

Roll it out 1/4 inch thick. 3 by 2 inches. Prick RIGHT THROUGH with a fork.
Bake slow at:-
350 degrees for 15 minutes (turn over half way through)
250 for a further 30 mins. (turn over half way through)
200 for a final 30 mins. (turn over half way through)

White or slighty brown is the finished "color", and as hard as nails.